How can I charge my smartphone battery with the battery not connected to the phone?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own an LG G3 smartphone that I got late last year. Unlike my previous phone, this thing's battery often charges very slowly. It's got a built in feature that prevents the phone from charging if the phone is too warm. Or it adjusts the charge rate and slows it down. Bottom line is that the phone can some times take many hours to charge. It goes through the battery charge quickly too.

I am tired of watching it take 5 minutes to add 1% to its charge. What I need is to buy a 2nd battery and find a way to charge the battery(s) outside of the phone. How would I connect leads to the 4 terminals on this battery? What type of charger would I need? Some times I have to wait longer before I leave home just to ensure I have enough charge. Can the batteries be charged safely outside the phone?

USSR

Newly Enlightened
have you tried qi wireless chargers ?
i am usnig nexus 5 with the dirt cheapest qi charger from aliexpress (3.5 US $ free shipping form china to pakistan )..
using a 1 amp charger with a long apple style cable my mobile is charing at 500mA.
i just place the mobile on pad at correct placement.
hope g3 has builtin qi receiver .

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of external chargers available that have adjustable contacts that you can use to charge up your mobile phone batteries. Seen some on dx and ebay. I made my own caddy and used a hobby charger for my Nokia n900 when the micro usb socket broke.

That said, a new battery may solve your charging problem. If it is getting hot, the battery probably is on the way out. My first sgs2 suffered a hot battery issue and it would drain fast. A new battery fixed it.

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
Do a search on eBay for "BL-53YH Cradle Charger" ... Assuming I have got the correct battery for your phone (check your battery to confirm) they seem to be readily available. Some sellers even claim to be "real" LG products.

I have used a similar charger for my Nokia batteries (I use them in some non-phone applications) and while they may not be the best chargers (slow?) they allow you to be able to use your device and charge a spare battery (or 2) at the same time.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
As discussed in the radios thread, virtually all the Radio Shacks nationwide were closed as the company went bankrupt, was pulled from the NYSE, and then purchased by Sprint. If you're one of the lucky few to still have one in your area, it's technically a "Sprint Radio Shack" store, and is staffed by Sprint employees who will be very helpful with your cell phone questions and not much else.

As for charging your cell externally, having extra batteries and a charger is a must for phones that allow it, and it's usually only a matter of finding your battery on Amazon and then being deluged with accessories options. While we iPhone users can't remove our batteries, they do charge at up to 2.4 amps, which I've been very happy with.

uofaengr

Enlightened
I own an LG G3 smartphone that I got late last year. Unlike my previous phone, this thing's battery often charges very slowly. It's got a built in feature that prevents the phone from charging if the phone is too warm. Or it adjusts the charge rate and slows it down. Bottom line is that the phone can some times take many hours to charge. It goes through the battery charge quickly too.

I am tired of watching it take 5 minutes to add 1% to its charge. What I need is to buy a 2nd battery and find a way to charge the battery(s) outside of the phone. How would I connect leads to the 4 terminals on this battery? What type of charger would I need? Some times I have to wait longer before I leave home just to ensure I have enough charge. Can the batteries be charged safely outside the phone?
I've the same phone and got the free spare battery plus charging cradle they gave away as promotions last year. They're doing the same thing now with the G4. You can probably buy them pretty cheap now. And if you're using the stock charger then it shouldn't be charging slow. This is the fastest charging phone (with the largest battery) I've ever had. Maybe you should try a factory reset.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just use the phone to charge up the spare, find a little case that fits the spare and go that route?

I've got an LG Revere 'flipper' with two spare batteries and I just remove a charged battery and replace it with a drained one and let the phone do the work.

Unless you need more than two batteries' worth of talk time, you just charge them up while you sleep, or not using the phone as much.

Chris