Infinity Ultra now coming with POLISHED reflector?

LightHearted

Enlightened
I saw this picture at Pocketlights.com and it appears that this Infinity has a polished reflector. Does anyone know if this is true? Do you think this could make a real difference in the brightness. The light does not appear to be on in the pic, so it's probably not a reflection. Also, the color seems to be different from their usual green. I think I like it better. Anybody have one of these new Ultras yet?

infinity.jpg

scott

Enlightened
This would be most interesting if true. I've wanted, but not needed an Ultra since they first became available. I've done just fine with my Arc AAA and original Infinity. I almost got one a few weeks ago. I'm glad I didn't. If the newer ones have polished reflectors, I'll definitely have to get one.

Scott

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Re: Infinity Ultra now coming with POLISHED reflec

Wow, i may actually have to get one (after it is reviewed by Quickbeam and Craig of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

chumley

Enlightened

I just ordered another CMG Ultra, actually an Ultra G which is the same thing. I would reccomend this light even without a polished reflector. I gave my Ultra to a relative because it was just as good as the Arc AA. IMHO, I don't think that the beam will be that different with or without anodized reflector.

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened

Now you tell me.

Just spent half the morning removing the HA and polishing mine for a mod. Wish they were polished.

Chris

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KLM said:
Do you think this could make a real difference in the brightness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I removed green anodizing from my CMG Infinity-Ultra using sandpaper #280 followed by #420 together with Autosol (metal polish).

After much hard work, I managed to get a mirror shining polished reflector.

But to my dismay, the overall light output doesn't seems to be much different to the naked eye. Hard to accept, but that's how it appears to me!

DJP

scott

Enlightened
I polished the reflector on my original Infinity. It does make a difference, however it is not much and was not worth the trouble. The only reason an already-polished reflector is a big deal to me is because I'm already on the edge of buying an Ultra anyway. This just pushes me over the edge. Admittedly, a polished reflector (at least on this particular light) is not a big deal.

Scott

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The LED's own optics take care of most of the focusing needs; a polished reflector in a light like this would be mainly a cosmetic thing; adding a few percent at most to total light output.

I just did a quick eyeball comparison between the Arc-AA and the CMG Ultra-G, and there *is* a difference (the Arc is a bit brighter), but it is not tremendous. This isn't really a fair test anyway, because the CMG and Arc have different circuitry and probably drive their LEDs differently.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the arc "reflector" is smaller, being closer to the LED, and deeper, catching more of the side spill and reflecting it than the wide shallow infinity "reflector" can. A trade off of this is the side spill is smaller, but brighter.

In that picture it just looks like the black anodizing is shiny and is reflecting the white background. Sometimes shiny black can reflect in photos and look chrome...

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great news!
I am about to buy a few Infinities in white and red LEDs for a friend. Figure out in the jungles of South America any extra light will help. Thanks for the update.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened

Actually, if you take a close look at that picture, you can see that is actually an Infinity, not an Infinity Ultra (I'm looking at the logo on the flashlight).

Furthermore, looking at the Pocketlights website you may notice that they use the same exact picture for both the Infinity and the Ultra.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Here's a picture showing an Infinity I got in 2000, and an Infinity Ultra I got last year:

cmg20.jpg

They're the same size; I'm not sure why the Ultra looks thinner or slimmer in this photograph; as they're the same size. But I just wanted to compare the silkscreening on the tops of their barrels. Not the sizes of the flashlights themselves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

evanlocc

Enlightened

Happy to know 2.

I just got mine right after X`mas and don think the reflec make much different, due to the 'LED' natural.
Unless it do an 90 degree turn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts