searching for a 4000K 90 CRI LED fixture?

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Is anyone aware of any 4000K LED bulbs, lamps, or fixtures, that have a CRI of at least 90, and that do not use Cree TrueWhite technology?

As much as I love the concept behind TrueWhite technology (which uses a separate amber emitter to help produce the red wavelengths), I suspect it may be a little harder on my eyes to focus under. Despite the increased CRI, the TrueWhite concept appears to basically be using a single yellowish-green phosphor, that has even less coverage in the cyan portion of the spectrum than a normal white LED. (Same thing with Philips L-prize and Osram's EQ-white emitters too)

Just to clarify, I am looking for a finished LED lamp, not emitters. Retrofit replacement tubes for a fluorescent fixture would also be okay.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I did find this: Verbatim 4000K high CRI PAR30 LED

But I was really more hoping for something that could replace a fluorescent fixture.

(and that does not use violet emitter LEDs either)

There was the Cree T8 LED retrofit tube (which were 90cri), but unfortunately Cree issued a recall on them due to possible safety issues. I suspect the recall may have unexpectedly left a big vacuum in the market.

Also I wanted to mention one more thing here. I have looked at a Cree troffer with TrueWhite technology, and I can clearly see a reddish-orange line in the spectra through a diffraction grating. So I know it is using separate amber wavelength emitters. However, I also have seen a Cree LS fixture, also allegedly with "Cree TrueWhite" technology, and I cannot easily observe any distinct amber reddish-orange line. I had just assumed that since it was a lower color temperature (3500K) the emission from the phosphor was overlapping with and masking the spectral line, but now I just found a blog where someone did a spectral analysis on their Cree LS, and there is no spike to be seen in the spectral graph at all! So apparently the Cree LS fixture is not using a separate amber wavelength emitter, though it does have high CRI and high efficiency.

I do not know... my Cree LS fixture just seems a little harder for my eyes to focus under than other LEDs I have seen. But now I know it's apparently not just because it is using a single yellowish-green phosphor (like I had seen in spectral graphs of the L-prize or Osram's EQ-white emitters)... so what it could be I am not sure. This throws everything into question for me now.

I guess the light from a 90 CRI LED T8 tube would not be any different from the Cree LS fixture.

Well, I see this thread was a big fail, guess it's back to the hypothesis in my other thread:
visited store using new LED lighting, 5000K but still looks great

Note to forum moderators: Can you please take the posts in this thread and just move them to my other thread (in the link) ?

Last edited:

ItzRav

Newly Enlightened

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Thanks. I always appreciate it when LED products are being offered in unusual intervals of color temperature value. It gives people more options so they can better select exactly the color temperature they want.
4300K seems like it would be a very neutral white color.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Is anyone aware of any 4000K LED bulbs, lamps, or fixtures, that have a CRI of at least 90, and that do not use Cree TrueWhite technology?

As much as I love the concept behind TrueWhite technology (which uses a separate amber emitter to help produce the red wavelengths), I suspect it may be a little harder on my eyes to focus under. Despite the increased CRI, the TrueWhite concept appears to basically be using a single yellowish-green phosphor, that has even less coverage in the cyan portion of the spectrum than a normal white LED. (Same thing with Philips L-prize and Osram's EQ-white emitters too)

Just to clarify, I am looking for a finished LED lamp, not emitters. Retrofit replacement tubes for a fluorescent fixture would also be okay.

They have to be ordered, and you are not going to pay Home Depot prices (or even get at HD I believe), but Cooper has residential downlights (that plug into downlight cans to replace PAR/BR) that are 4000K and 90+CRI.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/lighting/brands/halo/led.html

Look at the RLxx and SLDxx that are about 4/5 down the page.

I believe only available in NA though.

Without doing a search, I will pretty much guarantee that you can get a 90CRI, 4000K troffer, it just will not be cheap as you may need to go with a premium lighting supplier.

Other option is to quickly roll your own: http://www.lighting.philips.co.uk/s...ms/Fortimo-LED-Line-2ft-2200lm-9xx-1R-LV3.pdf Fortimo, 90CRI, 4000K strips. You can buy a matching driver that will work anywhere in the world ... or for anywhere in the world. You could retrofit an existing fixture, but remember that diffuser is not benign and can impact the spectrum.

Semiman

Last edited: