Brownout

poiihy

Enlightened
This morning we had a brownout where the voltage was only 50 volts.

I went to the bathroom and noticed the LED bulbs (3x LSG 40w.e.) were unusually dim. First thing I thought was the bulbs were failing, but all three wouldn't be at the same brightness like that. So I turned on the bathroom fan... and it barely worked. Then for sure I knew it was a brownout.

I tested different devices and lights to see how the low voltage affected them.

LED bulbs handled the low voltage quite fine. The Cree TW 60w.e. seemed to be at or near full brightness, thought it took a short moment to turn on whereas on normal voltage it would turn on instantly.

The Philips 60w.e. Basic bulbs in the ceiling fan worked dimly, but they flickered a bit.

The big 32w OptoLight CFL worked, dimly though, but a few seconds after turning it on it flickered a lot. And the color was more white or slightly purplish white, instead of the usual warm brownish white.

The fluorescent tube light above the sink didn't work at all.

The two eco-smart (TCP) "Bright white" CFLs in the hallway were interesting. When I turned them on, they worked for a moment, then the arcs failed and their filaments just glowed. I turned them on and off a few times and sometimes one bulb will stay lit for a little while after the other went out, but finally die anyway.
They looked really cool with the filaments glowing.

The low-voltage halogen desk lamp just simply glowed dimly.

The ceiling fan was very weak.

Also, all switching power supplies didn't work at all.

I quickly tested the voltage with a volt meter and it read 50 volts. Wow, that is so low!
It was an analogue meter and I saw the needle jitter a little bit, but I wasn't sure if that was actually the voltage fluctuating or just me vibrating the meter making the needle move.

After this I went back to the bathroom and noticed the red GFCI light was lit. The red light on the GFCI is supposed to light up when the GFCI fails, so the light tells you that the GFCI needs to be replaced. But apparently the low voltage screwed it up.

So I went to do what I was going to do, and right when I was in the middle of doing it, the power went out. Good thing there was a window and it was daytime. :p

Later the power went back on and everything was fine. GFCI doesn't have that red light glowing anymore so that's fine.

Wow, I've never seen a brownout before. That was really cool!

BLH

Newly Enlightened
Where any of your appliances damaged?
Some motors don't like starting and running on such a low voltage.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The two eco-smart (TCP) "Bright white" CFLs in the hallway were interesting. When I turned them on, they worked for a moment, then the arcs failed and their filaments just glowed. I turned them on and off a few times and sometimes one bulb will stay lit for a little while after the other went out, but finally die anyway.
They looked really cool with the filaments glowing."

If you want this effect, put them on a dimmer switch, you can get the voltages just right and they will flicker, almost like a candle. I would strongly suggest you do is outside! I have some old bulbs I stuck on a porch light and found this out. Only use these bulbs outside. When, and they can easily, vent you can have a house full of toxic, mercury laden fumes!!

poiihy

Enlightened
If you want this effect, put them on a dimmer switch, you can get the voltages just right and they will flicker, almost like a candle. I would strongly suggest you do is outside! I have some old bulbs I stuck on a porch light and found this out. Only use these bulbs outside. When, and they can easily, vent you can have a house full of toxic, mercury laden fumes!!

Dimmer switches don't reduce the voltage, they chop the wave up. You still get 120v peak-to-peak but you get less of it. That's why dimmer switches really mess with anything other than a resistive thing (tungsten lamp, heating element, etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jffPlNc20Ks

Last edited:

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I noticed this too. I had an Osram LED bulb designed to run on 220v, but was using it on 120v (in a different part of the world). Surprisingly the bulb worked just fine, though it did cause the light to have flicker.

By contrast, if you use an incandescent bulb designed for 220v in a 120v outlet, only 30 percent of the power will be able to flow through the filament.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dimmer switches don't reduce the voltage, they chop the wave up. You still get 120v peak-to-peak but you get less of it. That's why dimmer switches really mess with anything other than a resistive thing (tungsten lamp, heating element, etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jffPlNc20Ks

Thank you, I will go watch/read that. They sure make the things flicker like crazy. They almost look like candles!

EDIT: Cool video. He does say the RMS voltage drops slightly. But slices the wave in half. Neat. Wish I had a scope.

This was my first dimmer switch. i installed it on a porch light. It has a timer built in. I also noticed how warm it gets. I took it out, and put a LED bulb in. Think I did a 9 watt warm bulb. Looks pretty good. When I saw the flickering I knew something wasn't gelling. Funny, the flicker looks like the wave forum!

Last edited: