correct version of Olight S10?

caheaton

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I just received an Olight S10 from a third party seller on Amazon (but is an "approved" Olight vendor) and am wondering if I received the correct version. I ordered the Olight S10-L2 which in the photos and from what I've read has a blue button for it's operation. The version I received has a black button that is flush with the button's silver collar and has concentric grooved rings for texture. Has Olight changed this recently? The box indicates it's the new version, but of course that's no guarantee that this wasn't a swapped return. The enclosed instructions show a raised side switch, but the serial number tag on the box matches that on the light....so that seems to point to a design change. Light itself is pristine...no signs of usage.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Since the 'R' series Batons came out, in which the new, flush buttons made their debut, Olight has updated the buttons on their non-rechargable Batons as well. The new design should be much less prone to accidental activation than the old, protruding blue buttons were. While I obviously cannot guarantee that you got a genuine Olight, I think you shouldn't be worried about the flush button as a sign of fraudulence.

I have two older Baton lights, and just ordered an S15 last week to try out the new button. How do you like yours? And how is the tint on your S10?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the 'R' series Batons came out, in which the new, flush buttons made their debut, Olight has updated the buttons on their non-rechargable Batons as well. The new design should be much less prone to accidental activation than the old, protruding blue buttons were. While I obviously cannot guarantee that you got a genuine Olight, I think you shouldn't be worried about the flush button as a sign of fraudulence.

I have two older Baton lights, and just ordered an S15 last week to try out the new button. How do you like yours? And how is the tint on your S10?

Does indeed sound like Caheaton received the new version with the new button.

First generation S10s had a protruding white rubber button.
Second generation S10s had a protruding blue plastic button.
And now it sounds like these third generation S10s have a flush black plastic button similar to those found in the rechargeable S series lights.

chuckhov

Enlightened
Correct - I have the S15 with the new button, and it is not the rechargeable model.

How's the tint? - I love Everything about this little light but the Awful, Pukeish, Sickly Yellow Green Tint:-(
What a waste of an otherwise fine light.

Thanks,
-Chuck

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Correct - I have the S15 with the new button, and it is not the rechargeable model.

How's the tint? - I love Everything about this little light but the Awful, Pukeish, Sickly Yellow Green Tint:-(

Thanks,
-Chuck

Ah, pity, I was hoping they might have done something about their tint issues in the new version :/

Oh well, perhaps I'll win the lottery this time? :shrug: I certainly didn't win with the first two batons.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks,
-Chuck
Mines pretty decent, I've two new S15Rs, less then 5 weeks old.

Are you using primaries or low volt lions?
I could see it being less then stellar on either of them.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, I'm an idiot, I'm sorry to have wasted your time.
I confused my own lights up.

I do not have S15Rs, I've S10Rs.. I keep mixing these two models up.
Good grief, Olight I blame you!
S10,S15,....M3x,M3XS-UT,M2X, M20,M20SX,M22,M23 ugh.
You an Fenix are in it together, maybe Eagtac too!

caheaton

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks to all who responded...a little after I'd posted my question I did a little digging and found that Olight had indeed changed the configuration of the light. I haven't had a chance to use the light much (I purchased it mainly for an upcoming camping trip for use as a small EDC light to use about camp...it's so small I can just hang it from my belt with a clip. The waterproofing is a plus since I can use it at night while in the shower tent :D . (Just ordered a diffuser to aid with that...it'll be hanging overhead using said clip).

I'm new to the world of high end flashlights...my previous "high end" was (and is) a dedicated astronomy flashlight that has a built in green laser, 3 5mm led white light and a 5mm red led light that can be adjusted to 3 different levels. That light runs off of a pair of AA's. I had been using that light as my about camp light, but it seems a waste as it doesn't take long using the white led's before they no longer have enough power to fire the laser. If anyone's interested, here's the info:
http://www.hotechusa.com/category-s/27.htm

As far as tint, the S10 is definitely not a true white, but it's not bothersome. The tint seems to be a mix of yellow and green, but it's not an obvious tint. I only notice it when I point it at a plain white wall. (But tints don't bother me...as an amateur astronomer I'm used to looking at everything using a deep, dim red light! ;) ). Brightness is impressive...I can light up my entire backyard (about a quarter acre) with this little light and the moonlight mode is plenty bright for navigating a dark room or pathway. I've just ordered the red filter and white diffuser so that I can use this light as an overhead lantern, flashlight and astro light (the moonlight mode should be perfect for that use when combined with the red filter). Moonlight will also be useful as a hotel night light (wife doesn't like hotel rooms to be fully dark), so no more leaving a light on...I'll be able to sleep better! :grin2: This little guy should prove to be quite handy, but I'm afraid it may have sparked a new obsession...I find that I can't stop shopping for flashlights now, lately I've intrigued by the little Thrunite T10, seems like it would be a good shirt pocket EDC. (Not that I need one...I have a Maglite Solitaire LED in the holster that holds my pocket knife....)

ronniepudding

Enlightened

After waiting a couple of weeks (due to an order problem), I finally got one of the S15 batons with the new, black, flush button this weekend. It's a definite upgrade for the button alone. And I have to say I much prefer the cool white tint on this new light to the neutral whites (S10-L2 and S15 Ti) I'd purchased previously. It's not awesome like recent Zebralights (the H52w I got a few months ago is just amazing for an XM-L2), -- but in ordinary use it's close enough to white that it's not at all unpleasant to use.

I think I'm starting to appreciate cooler tints in my old age... or perhaps coming to the realization that a bad neutral tint may be worse than a bad CW tint ;)

Many thanks to all who responded... As far as tint, the S10 is definitely not a true white, but it's not bothersome. The tint seems to be a mix of yellow and green, but it's not an obvious tint. I only notice it when I point it at a plain white wall.

That's my experience as well with this new one... when wall hunting, the corona is a touch yellow, and it shifts slightly green at low voltage/output. But not offensively so.

Last edited:

Bauer

Newly Enlightened
I just removed the pill on my new black button s10 and noticed it has the red low voltage led under the switch, but the switch boot is solid black and you cannot see the light through it. I tested it outside of the light with a near dead battery and the red warning led does indeed light up....now to figure out a way to make a transparent spot on that boot

Latest posts