Nitecore EC4: die-cast, XM-L2 (U2), 2x18650, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
Recently, Nitecore presented something new: A die-cast flashlight! Advantage of this should be less weight and more toughness. At first the EC4 with XM-L2 (U2) was launched, later the EC4S (with MT-G2) will follow. Let's see in this review how this interesting flashlight performs!

Nitecore EC4: die-cast, a unique flashlight
2pyc64z.jpg

driven by a XM-L2 (U2) LED
54xd0z.jpg

compact and lightweight
212g32s.jpg

So let's start, as usual, with the manufacturer specs:

Features:

· The world's first die-cast flashlight
· Solid lightweight aero grade aluminum alloy construction
· Utilizes a CREE XM-L2 U2 LED
· Maximum output of up to 1000 lumens
· Dual switch design offers unprecedented ease of use
· Thumbscrew lock on tailcap doubles as a tripod connector
· 5 brightness levels and 3 special modes available
· High efficiency constant current circuit enables maximum runtime of 260 hours
· Features advanced temperature regulation (ATR) technology
· A power indicator built into the on/off switch indicates remaining battery power (patented)
· Direct access to ultra-low and turbo output
· A SMO reflector offers focused beams of 322 meters
· Reverse polarity protection prevents damage arise from incorrectly inserted batteries
· Stainless steel retaining ring protects core components from damage
· Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
· Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (2 meters submersible)
· Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
· Tail stand capability

Dimensions:

· Length: 5.90" / 150mm
· Head diameter: 1.57" / 40mm
· Tube: 1.54"x1.10 / 39mm x 28mm
· Weight: 6.03oz / 171gram (without battery)

And the output specs:
1zd3znq.jpg

Unboxing:

The carton that the EC4 hides is recognizable as a real Nitecore box: It has the same looks as the P36 box. Mostly in yellow and black color and the important specs in red. Overall it looks neat and this box will be sufficient to protect the light of damage. In the box we find everything needed, except cells. Notable: No spare rings in this package….simply because this is not needed J Please scroll down to see the package and what's inside…

a box in Nitecore house-style
xeqv53.jpg

contents the light, manual, warranty card, lanyard and holster
64p3ds.jpg

Impressions:

First impression: Real compact! Compared to my TK35 the EC4 is much smaller. The EC4 is easy to handle with, fits comfortably in the hand, also because the big cooling' fins at the head. No problem to carry this compact searchlight every day in your coat pocket. These fins should give the light long runtime at turbo-mode, and I can tell you it's no problem to use this light for longer time highest mode. It's has a smooth, clean reflector and a perfect centered LED. Machining is high quality, but the "stoving varnish exterior treatment" (according to what Nitecore says) and engraving at my sample could be some better. Maybe it's more difficult to treat and engrave a die-cast light. The middle of the tube (with the "EC4" engraving on) seems the weakest point of the tube, because it is the thinnest. But I'm sure this body will be strong enough to last for years. The tailcap has a thumbscrew lock (with no grease at the threads), this works fine. This thumbscrew has also a built-in tripod connector, it seems this is a new trend. But it's a handy feature and you can use your light combined with a ( for example) gorilla pod. Overall, machining and finishing is well-done, so Nitecore again did a good job on it. Please scroll down for more impressions, shown by pictures.

World's first die-cast flashlight…
25qbpxy.jpg

the aluminum Nitecore EC4
e170yc.jpg

the perfect centered XM-L2 (U2) LED
t82i34.jpg

together with recommended high capacity cells
zilhfq.jpg

but also running on CR123A's
vhq15v.jpg

at the box: the whole story….
rumm81.jpg

compact pocket searchlight
muu634.jpg

with unique design
104iyqc.jpg

the thumbscrew with built in tripod connector
35ia9fo.jpg

big cooling fins
6ssvh4.jpg

the holster is rather big
103a6n4.jpg

EC4 with the lanyard added on
1zezaeb.jpg

a close-up to the fins and the buttons
20zegwi.jpg

a close up to the XM-L2 (U2): perfectly centered
r7kkqw.jpg

flashing power button to inform about battery condition or location
5odzdx.jpg

overall good machining and finishing
sevxft.jpg

a closer look at the tailcap with gold plated spring
2djq5o7.jpg

a look into the tube
1q0jv4.jpg

combined with a gorilla pod: add-on everywhere
2960hu9.jpg

tripod mounting for hands free illuminating
absdua.jpg

User interface:

It's easy to control this light by using one thumb: two buttons, placed near to the head will assist you through the light's modes. A clearly noticeable edge between the two buttons prevents mistakes. The buttons work fine, but maybe Nitecore could give them a different shape. Personally, I like the interface of the Nitecore MH20 over this one. With two "three-way" buttons it would be easier to cycle up and down through the modes too. Maybe in future? But overall, this interface works fine and after some days you will work with it without any problems. Great job also that Nitecore added (again) three instant modes. The EC4 has a voltage indicator: After inserting the batteries or by a short press at the mode button (when the light is off) the power button will inform you about the battery condition by short blinks. Three blinks when power is above 50%, two blinks when power is below 50% and one blink when you need to charge. Personally I prefer the actual voltage indicator that most of the recent Nitecores have.

Modes:

Like a lot of Nitecore lights, the EC4 gives five normal and three special modes. After inserting the cells and pressing the on/off button, the light will start at turbo. When the light is on, cycle through the following modes by using the mode button: LOWER > LOW > MID > HIGH> TURBO. The EC4 memorizes last used mode. With the light on, press and hold the mode button to enter the special modes, starting with STROBE > BEACON > SOS. Mind that you need again to press and hold to enter the next special mode. No memory for last used special mode. The EC4 has three instant modes: Press and hold the on/off button for instant LOWER; press and hold the mode for instant TURBO; quick double press the mode button for STROBE. Use a long press while shutting off the light to activate STANDBY MODE: the button will flash once per two seconds. Handy to locate your light at night. Press and hold both buttons to LOCKOUT and unlock the light: the light will flash one time to show it's locked against accidental activation. A lot of modes here, good job again Nitecore!

ATR:

ATR means that the EC4 will dynamically increase power when the temperature will be high. That means also that the increase will not be a full step down, so in real life, it isn't always visible. But it's a good feature to prolong the EC4 working life.

Size comparison:

To show the compact size of the EC4, a comparison to the MH12 brother (powered by one 18650 cell) and the Fenix TK35 (powered by two 18650's)

CR123A, 18650, Nitecore MH12, Nitecore EC4 and Fenix TK35
sdn1vc.jpg

Nitecore MH12, Nitecore EC4 and Fenix TK35
2d10d9h.jpg

reverse: Fenix TK35, Nitecore EC4 and Nitecore MH12
2uemwm0.jpg

the heads: Nitecore MH12, Nitecore EC4 and Fenix TK35
2wgy5xs.jpg

and the tails: Nitecore MH12, Nitecore EC4 and Fenix TK35
11icqo7.jpg

Tint:

The EC4 has a good neutral tint, it looks a bit yellowish. I've compared the tint to the Olight ST25 Baton.

kd60d1.jpg

Beamprofile:

Because of the deep, smooth reflector the EC4 gives a "throwy" beam. It's has a medium hotspot and corona and rather big spill. Thanks also to the clean reflector and the perfect centered LED this profile is without rings or spots. I could only detect some PWM at LOW-mode. The ExplorerC4 is meant as a searchlight, so less suited for reading and "floodlight jobs". If you're looking for that, go for the the MH or EDC-series.

Beamshots:

The light projected on a white wall. Distance to the wall about 0,75 meter.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
2pt6jip.jpg

14bjptj.jpg

2nq8uic.jpg

icsf9k.jpg

2hxoaix.jpg

animation picture
2ic33q1.jpg

Going outside now…..At first, the five output modes. After that, a comparison to the Fenix TK35 (XM-U2 version) and the Nitecore brother MH12.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
65qzbq.jpg

t5jb7q.jpg

29vng3k.jpg

2uztb3l.jpg

24ermdi.jpg

animation
etfzu0.jpg

Nitecore EC4 versus Fenix TK35
jhqvr7.jpg

Nitecore EC4 against Nitecore MH12
33y6vz7.jpg

Conclusion:

The EC4 is nice addition to the big Nitecore family. It's my most compact and easy to carry searchlight until now. No problem to use it longer time at turbo, a durable construction. User interface and modes are ok, but I'm waiting for a light (after the TM06) that will step down too. Tripod mounting is a nice feature, but will be used more (IMO) in combination with floodlights. I'm looking forward to the EC4S that will have double output. But the EC4 I can recommend for police, law enforcement and searching. It will last for years!

Nitecore EC4 provided for review

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Re: Nitecore EC4: die-cast, XM-L2 (U2),2x18500, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, compar

CR123A, 18650, Nitecore MH12, Nitecore EC4 and Fenix TK35
sdn1vc.jpg

You can see why I am SOOO anxious for the EC4S w/ MT-G2!! Still waiting...

Great review!! Thanks!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore EC4: die-cast, XM-L2 (U2),2x18500, max. 1000 lumens, (beam)shots, compar

Great review!!!...buuuut Ill stick to my 2015 TK35 it is just as amazing it just looks the same even though its 4mm shorter than the last one...

TacMatt

Newly Enlightened

I have an EC4 myself. It is a great light.
But I want the EC4S even more!!!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review. You photographs are excellent! I especially liked the animated comparison of beam shots.

I can clear up one thing for you. You say, "Machining is high quality, but anodizing and engraving at my sample could be some better. Maybe it's more difficult to anodize and engrave a die-cast light." The web page for the EC4 at Nitecore explains that the EC4 does not use anodization. It has a "stoving varnish exterior treatment." I have read that anodization does not work well with die-cast aluminum.

Concerning PWM, you report that, "I could only detect some PWM at LOW-mode." This is not good news. Can you please elaborate? How did you detect it? Do you have any photos that show it? In his review of the EC4, FlashLion says, "I don't detect any sign of PWM on any of the modes."

I really like the ease with which the EC4 fits in a coat pocket. If the EC4S is ever released, I will probably be a buyer.

Last edited:

kj75

Enlightened

The web page for the EC4 at Nitecore explains that the EC4 does not use anodization. It has a "stoving varnish exterior treatment." I have read that anodization does not work well with die-cast aluminum.

Thank you for your support. I missed this ;) *EDITED*

About PWM, I discovered this while taking wallshots. Not easy to show this by a pictures, but throught a camera lens you can discover this. I tried again, and saw it also at LOW, MID and HIGH.
But for human eye in real life barely visible.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

About PWM, I discovered this while taking wall shots. Not easy to show this by a pictures, but through a camera lens you can discover this. I tried again, and saw it also at LOW, MID and HIGH.
But for human eye in real life barely visible.

Not what I was hoping you would find, but I guess if it takes a camera to detect it, it can't be too bad. There are reports that a few other recent Nitecore models, such as the EA11 also use PWM, but I have not been able to substantiate them as yet.