Nitecore D2 vs Xtar VP2

KJ4GR

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Nitecore D2 and a set of 18650 3400mah Keeppower ver:2015 from Illumn. I have charged them until the D2 says complete and then tested them with three different meters, a Fluke 87, Klein MM2000, and a cheap Ideal. Both batteries are showing 4.13 volts on all meters. I have stuck them back into the charger twice and they charged @ 10 minutes more and still only registered 4.13 volts. Is this acceptable for the batteries and/or the charger? Is the 4.13v the batteries or the charger causing this?

Now I am poundering the idea of purchasing another 2 bay charger to see if it will charge them closer to 4.18-4.20v. What do you guys think?

HKJ

Flashaholic
It is in the acceptable range, but at the lower limit. Even if you bought another D2 it might charge to a higher voltage.
There is always some tolerance on the charge voltage and a few chargers will be at the limit (Either high or low). The only way to get around that is to use a more precise reference (i.e. more expensive) in the charger or do an actual adjustment before shipping the charger and this also cost money.

Even if you get a charger that charges with exactly 4.200 volt, the batteries will not have that when charging is finished, they will be lower.

Calmoceans

Newly Enlightened
Greetings KJ4GR

I too have a Nitecore D2. I purchased it approximately 4 weeks ago. It came with a validation code sticker on the top of the box. I have used this charger to charge the following protected lithium ion cells.....
Orbtronic 18650 3400mAh x 2
" " 14500 840mAh x 2
" " 16340 700mAh x 2
Zebralight 14500 840mAh x 1
Xtar 16340 600mAh x 2

The readout on the D2 states that termination charge for each cell was 4.2vDc. However once the battery is removed from the charger (no more than a few minutes after charge termination) I have metered the cells with a FLUKE and see the voltage to be 4.13 vDc. I believe that one of the Xtars metered at 4.12, but the norm is 4.13. Just thought you would like to know this in regards to the same make/model charger.
Regards,