Turing lip off of 30mm & Tri-30mm MiB "gun" idea!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turing lip off of 30mm & Tri-30mm MiB \"gun\" idea!

Just got a wild idea, actually been thinking about it before but not seriously.. take 3-30mm optics and mount them in their own barrels, to make 3 barrell type gun like seen in MiB. Each tube would house the 30mm, luxIII. Then they'd connect to a 3 "D" tube. Or you could have each luxIII running on 3C's for insane brightness..
I'm thinking using PVC pipe for the mounting of optics, and something (????) for the heat sinks.

What would I use for heatsinks?
Would the beams converge into one beam?
Am I crazy?

I would probably "turn down" the optics, to remove the large lip around them to get them closer to each other to help beam convergence. I did some eyeballing with my broke 30mm I have and doing this you might be able to fit 2 30mm's into a mag head!

Anyways, I thought if you took some rubber tubing that is large enough, and pushed the optic in, and had the tube rotate while you placed a razor blade or knife on the back of the optic between the lip and the end of the optic, it would slowly slice through it until the "ring" or lip was cut off and the optic would fall out. What do you think?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Turing lip off of 30mm & Tri-30mm MiB

Uh, if I were you, I would rather use a reflector the diameter of a 30mm optic. If I didn't remember wrongly, a 30mm optic cut down, looses quite a lot of it's throw very quickly.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not cut down, just the lip cut off. It has a large lip that isn't part of the optic. Lip or mounting or rim or whatever you want to call it...

RussH

Enlightened

Instead of PVC pipe use copper pipe (1"=25mm, 1.25"?) - you won't get any heat transfer thru pvc whereas the copper could be your heatsink. Or mount them on the end of a bolt that goes to an external heatsink.

Alignment could be difficult, but you could set them to converge at, say, 25 yards. Maybe you could experiment with something that would hold but not setup then glue permanently when you get what you want. I bet it will look round after a distance as the beams spread -RussH

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since the reflector vs. 30mm optic was mentioned, I thought I'd add that I've made comparisons between PR and 30mm. The PR isn't quite the diameter of a "lip-removed" 30mm, but is pretty close.

I did this with a BJ with the head removed, and swapped an extra 30mm with the PR by hand. I did this dozens of times while taking a walk on a long dark beach in Rhode Island, and when the moon wasn't out. To my eyes, it seemed that the 30mm had a little more throw (pretty close, though). The optic isn't as efficient overall, but then again, it doesn't throw a lot of light off to the sides. On the other hand, it has a larger hotspot.