Surefire Titanium Titans

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
That's right a long time ago, we had amazing custom Surefire's, so complex a design they had to be assembled by the engineers they had to do it, as it was too complicated for the rank,and file workers. I love mine it is a beautiful light and a part of Surefire's history

However, what is it with the CR2 titanium Titans? I have one that never leaves the safe, but what about the other 499?

Are people saving them, did some get put on key chains and are thrashed, where all of them, I would think they would be highly sought after but, I never see one for sale? This must be a collectors piece?

What say you?

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gesh! I actually had forgotten about them. I saw one on the bay a few years back. But it has been a while!! Post a pic to really warm the thread up! lol

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have and use mine from time to time.
2ccryw1.jpg

2j1saad.jpg

I only have one now I flipped the other both had to go back to Surefire for repairs and the one I kept is still working but before needing it I need to work the action a few times so it comes on at the lowest level, it seems like it gathers resistance from sitting unused and a few twists and its very responsive
PSM did an xray of the light
23wuyvl.png

C:D

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I sold mine.

They were good at the time but bulky for CR2 lights ... the same size as many CR123 lights.

The Sunwayman Ti V10R is about the same length but takes a CR123 and achieves far greater output. I think for many of us, this light displaced the Surefire Titan.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold mine.

They were good at the time but bulky for CR2 lights ... the same size as many CR123 lights.

The Sunwayman Ti V10R is about the same length but takes a CR123 and achieves far greater output...

I got one of them when they came out as well that gets carried more than my SC5w.
Chris

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold mine.

The Sunwayman Ti V10R is about the same length but takes a CR123 and achieves far greater output. I think for many of us, this light displaced the Surefire Titan.

Really, I think the idea here with the CR2 Titan was that Surefire, with technology rapidly coming fast from all the flashlight manufacturers popping up worldwide back in 2005 or 06, wanted to show the industry what they could engineer in a light of this size with a twist for any amount of light.

So I think it was to show the industry they were the flashlight technology leaders, as this was one of the most complicated, lights at the time, and, also one of the expensive lights ever produced in that time. Even by today's standards it sticks out as complex. So difficult to assemble, the engineers had to assemble them. 500 we reproduced in total I have number 154.

Of course we all know that a decade today means rapid changes and there are certainly lights that will out do it, hovever, at the time is was really something in a collection, and I still like that you can turn it down so low, must be .25, or less of a lumen, but while I am not sure of that exact output, it is still cool and a wonderful piece of flashlight history that every Surefire collector should strive to have, now while I am not a Surefire collector - this is my only safe Queen.

hard to believe there is not more of a cult following to have one or two, and with only 500 produced, that could a small club for sure. Also, the cost to buy one new was $500.00, And you had to be on a waiting list at a dealer, I don't think any sat on a shelf waiting to be sold. It was a big deal when they were released!

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have and use mine from time to time.
2ccryw1.jpg

2j1saad.jpg

I only have one now I flipped the other both had to go back to Surefire for repairs and the one I kept is still working but before needing it I need to work the action a few times so it comes on at the lowest level, it seems like it gathers resistance from sitting unused and a few twists and its very responsive
PSM did an xray of the light
23wuyvl.png

C:D
It looks as if the top one has light grooves in the head. Can you confirm this sometime digital cameras pick up too much from a subject I the right conditions, maybe that is the case but is sure looks different than your lower one?

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did a few rough measurements.

I used my Aeon which most would agree is a beloved light here on CPF and it's a small, and CR2 powered.

The CR2 Ti. Titan is the exact same width as the Aeon. Now, on the length, it is 1/2 inch taller than the Aeon, and I am measuring from the base of the Titan, and not taking in to account the remove-able cap with the split ring that exposes the beautiful machined 1/4-20 threads.

So, yes it is only 1/2 inch longer and it is a little longer because of the threads on the back, however, For a decade ago it it's no wider than modern CR2's, plus how many lights have threads on the back?

Fred's (Photonfanatic) beautifully machined Task Light II has threads, and I checked the Titan to the Task Light II and the Ti. Titan is a millimeter or so less in the width than the Task Light II, and the Titanium Titan is 3/8" shorter than the TT 2.

So there are smaller lights out there but, consider the feature of a variable output light with threads, and it is, after all the time past still up there with some of the modern CR2 lights today.

So, yes it is bigger but, not by any big margins, I still consider it a small pocketable light.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Don't get me wrong, I liked my Surefire Titan and it was ahead of its time for sure.

However the Sunwayman V10R displaced it when it arrived as it also had an infinitely variable twist interface with a very low, low ranging to a much higher high and with longer runtime because of the CR123 as opposed to the CR2. Being the same size as the Titan and only a fifth of the price, it was accessible to many more flashaholics rather than the narrower niche that the Titan appealed to.

I liked the build of my Titan, including the detachable tail portion which left a tripod socket, it was all very exciting at the time. :)

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me wrong, I liked my Surefire Titan and it was ahead of its time for sure.

However the Sunwayman V10R displaced it when it arrived as it also had an infinitely variable twist interface with a very low, low ranging to a much higher high and with longer runtime because of the CR123 as opposed to the CR2. Being the same size as the Titan and only a fifth of the price, it was accessible to many more flashaholics rather than the narrower niche that the Titan appealed to.

I liked the build of my Titan, including the detachable tail portion which left a tripod socket, it was all very exciting at the time. :)
No disrespect here, however my post was historical. If you talk about the first atom bomb, you don't say, that was nice but, look at the much better ones we have now. I understand your Sunwayman will out do the first Titan and it would be nice to hear what others who owned this Titan. We are not comparing the titanium Titan to modern lights. Please don't take this wrong, we are talking about a collectors item, and I was wondering where these ti. Titans are all are today.

The titanium Titan paved the road of R & D, and project management to allow you to have your Sunwayman.

Like people who love old cars, you mention the latest model to them, and it will go over bad in some cases.

Hope you understand what this thread is about.

Best wishes,

RL

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
No disrespect here, however my post was historical. If you talk about the first atom bomb, you don't say, that was nice but, look at the much better ones we have now. I understand your Sunwayman will out do the first Titan and it would be nice to hear what others who owned this Titan. We are not comparing the titanium Titan to modern lights. Please don't take this wrong, we are talking about a collectors item, and I was wondering where these ti. Titans are all are today.

The titanium Titan paved the road of R & D, and project management to allow you to have your Sunwayman.

Like people who love old cars, you mention the latest model to them, and it will go over bad in some cases.

Hope you understand what this thread is about.

Best wishes,

RL

I mean no disrespect either but the Gatlight was developed much earlier than the Surefire Titan and in fact was the first light to have the infinitely variable twist mechanism devised by custom light maker "mobile".

So in fact the Gatlight's R&D paved the way for the SF Titan and Sunwayman V10R. If you look at it from this perspective the SF Titan and Sunwayman are both modern lights compared to the Gatlight.

I appreciate that you are very loyal to Surefire and admire their lights and correctly so. Yes, the Surefire Titan is a collector's item.

In your first post, you asked if people had saved their Surefire Titans and how we regarded them. I gave an honest answer to this in my first post.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine still sits on my nightstand where it is used every night albeit for just a few moments (bed-bathroom-bed). With time it has developed the infamous preflash but if I turn the head very slowly it just comes on as it should. It flashes only in case I turn the head quickly from off.

After the titanium one I bought also the black one, then the recent 1 x AAA and finally have preordered the new Titan Plus. Then we shall see ... :cool:

11b7tr9.jpg

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean no disrespect either but the Gatlight was developed much earlier than the Surefire Titan and in fact was the first light to have the infinitely variable twist mechanism devised by custom light maker "mobile".

So in fact the Gatlight's R&D paved the way for the SF Titan and Sunwayman V10R. If you look at it from this perspective the SF Titan and Sunwayman are both modern lights compared to the Gatlight.

I appreciate that you are very loyal to Surefire and admire their lights and correctly so. Yes, the Surefire Titan is a collector's item.

In your first post, you asked if people had saved their Surefire Titans and how we regarded them. I gave an honest answer to this in my first post.

You know, I honestly forgot about Gatlight, you are correct, I was just looking to where all the titans went, and to explain that since with the new Titans coming out, we have a lot of new members over the past decade, and I thought they would like to know about it

I stand corrected, there are people here with so much knowledge, I am just an amateur historian. Sorry, no hard feelings.

This is how we learn on a CPF.

I wish I had bought a Gatlight they were cool looking and beautifully made.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine still sits on my nightstand where it is used every night albeit for just a few moments (bed-bathroom-bed). With time it has developed the infamous preflash but if I turn the head very slowly it just comes on as it should. It flashes only in case I turn the head quickly from off.

After the titanium one I bought also the black one, then the recent 1 x AAA and finally have preordered the new Titan Plus. Then we shall see ... :cool:

11b7tr9.jpg
Nice collection of Titans, you should get the new nickel plated one.

Also what number is your Ti Titan?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Our old Ti. Titans have a cool beam, not purple like an Arc, but a minor, minor hint is there. Still for a decade old light they are still an excellent piece. I would think the Surefire collectors would want one in their collection.

Of course, maybe they do and that is why we don't see them for sale very often.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

The nickel plated Titan has already been preordered. :cool:

My original Titan is #328 which is not bad considering that my birthday is March 28 ... :cool::cool:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
RedLed: "Still for a decade old light they are still an excellent piece. I would think the Surefire collectors would want one in their collection."
This is so true! You nailed my feels on this light. They are a excellent light. I found one for $75 NIB off the bay a few years ago. Heck of a light even by todays standards, I feel.

Kilovolt, that pre flash you mentioned, was that a issue on the Ti Version only or all? Seems strange if it were just the Ti version. I have a First Gen black one and it has no pre flash and it too has done nightstand duty. Just curious, don't want to derail the thread.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man $75.00 new in box, they were $500 when they were released, you got a fantastic deal.

Frankly, I was hoping they would go up in value, or at least hold what we paid for them. Maybe mine will be stripped of the title of Safe Queen, and be forced to go into service.

Any thoughts why they did not hold their value? Like a week after they were released I saw one for sale on eBay for $2,000.00 -- so what caused this light to fall in value?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH Man, I should have been more clear in my post, lol I got the Black standard one! lol I wish it would have been a Ti. The fellow was asking $100. One of our local dealers had a Black one still on display as of 3 months ago. They were asking full retail.

Latest posts