*new* Olight S1 - XM-L2, (R)CR123

kj2

Flashaholic
"Olight S1, world smallest side switch flashlight, employing advanced PVD technology on the stainless steel bezel, innovative optical lens making the head shorter, soft silicon button"

4125a483ad918eeac902df126d56a882.jpg

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *new* Olight S1

It looks small. CR2 or CR123A ?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder what the PVD technology is? The lens looks interesting, I'm wondering what the beam will look like as a result. Super small light and looking forward to seeing more specs about it.

NorthernStar

Enlightened

Great find!:)

Hope to have more info about it soon.I wonder what sideswitch they are using, if it´s the recessed or the protruding button like the one on the old baton series?:thinking: The text says that it has a soft silicon button, but i can not see if it is recessed or not. I really hope it´s a recessed button like the ones on the S10R,S15R,S20R and the S30R series.

kj2

Flashaholic

I wonder what the PVD technology is?
Found this on PVD technology:
What is PVD coating?

PVD is the abbreviation of Physical Vapor Deposition. It is a process carried out in high vacuum at temperatures between 150 and 500 °C.

How does the PVD process work?

The high-purity, solid coating material (metals such as titanium, chromium and aluminium) is either evaporated by heat or by bombardment with ions (sputtering). At the same time, a reactive gas (e.g. nitrogen or a gas containing carbon) is introduced; it forms a compound with the metal vapour and is deposited on the tools or components as a thin, highly adherent coating. In order to obtain a uniform coating thickness, the parts are rotated at uniform speed about several axes.
The properties of the coating (such as hardness, structure, chemical and temperature resistance, adhesion) can be accurately controlled.

beaconterraone

Newly Enlightened

Any idea on US availability timeframe? Is this the successor to the i1?

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast

It probably takes a CR123A. Pretty much looks like a shorter S10.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nothing on that ATM. Specs are also unknown at this point.

August / September per OL.

Didn't ask but looks like CR123 to me. The shortened optic makes it / appear / smaller IMO.

I don't see a mainstream OEM venturing into CR2. 99.9% Sure it's CR123.

Taz80

Enlightened

Battery Junction has the new S11 on their site, it looks like this one. Specs. say CR123, XM-L2 max 500 lumens. The length is 2.4" the S10 is 2.77". This looks interesting, to bad its cool white.

AdamDaze

Newly Enlightened

PVD tech is *hardly* new or advanced. It's been used on many a flashlight body / bezel. It's an alternative to anodising. Just a coating technique.

This is *barely* smaller than the nitecore EC11 which comes double the lumen in turbo on the same(ish) LED, a red led for night vis, a quicker UI, and what looks like a better heatsink/fin setup (if marginal).

It does however claim a throw of 110 meters. Nightcore claim 190m on the EC11 at double the lumens. Checks out. But honestly, it's not really useable at that distance with the flood lighting up the entire foreground. Not unless you're on a farm on a moonless night.

But hey, at least it's 5mm shorter.

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast

PVD tech is *hardly* new or advanced. It's been used on many a flashlight body / bezel. It's an alternative to anodising. Just a coating technique.

This is *barely* smaller than the nitecore EC11 which comes double the lumen in turbo on the same(ish) LED, a red led for night vis, a quicker UI, and what looks like a better heatsink/fin setup (if marginal).

It does however claim a throw of 110 meters. Nightcore claim 190m on the EC11 at double the lumens. Checks out. But honestly, it's not really useable at that distance with the flood lighting up the entire foreground. Not unless you're on a farm on a moonless night.

But hey, at least it's 5mm shorter.

It's 14mm shorter than the EC11.

saypat

Enlightened

very nice, better than the S10. I think this is the S11. 5 modes! So tiny.