CD needed to disorientate person?

Lantern32

Enlightened
Hello CPF!

Im going to be receiving a light that outputs roughly 380,000 CD, and it has over 1000 lumens OTF. Would this light be able to blind someone? I am using it to light up large areas, and also to spot things when I am night-hiking. I was debating saving this light in case I ever need to protect myself from anyone, but I'm beginning to get worried that the amount of CD from this light would easily blind someone. If anyone here knows roughly what 380k CD could do, please reply! Thanks!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking. A quick flash of a 1,000 lumens won't due permanent damage, but all people react to things differently and even thought the chances are slight, long term damage is possible although unlikely. If I was going to be maimed or worse, 1,000 lumens to warn someone would be my last concern.

I would not worry about flashing 1,000 lumens if I was going to be hit by a car for example.

Being aware of your surroundings at all times trumps any other defense options.

Lantern32

Enlightened
Generally speaking. A quick flash of a 1,000 lumens won't due permanent damage, but all people react to things differently and even thought the chances are slight, long term damage is possible although unlikely. If I was going to be maimed or worse, 1,000 lumens to warn someone would be my last concern.

I would not worry about flashing 1,000 lumens if I was going to be hit by a car for example.

Being aware of your surroundings at all times trumps any other defense options.
Well, it isn't really about lumens. It is more of a lux question. 380k lux is a lot of light, and the beam can go about 1800 meters. It is basically a light laser. That is the reason I was worried because it might be able to do the same type of damage that a laser can.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello CPF!

Im going to be receiving a light that outputs roughly 380,000 CD, and it has over 1000 lumens OTF. Would this light be able to blind someone? I am using it to light up large areas, and also to spot things when I am night-hiking. I was debating saving this light in case I ever need to protect myself from anyone, but I'm beginning to get worried that the amount of CD from this light would easily blind someone. If anyone here knows roughly what 380k CD could do, please reply! Thanks!

380,000 lux could certainly blind someone. Direct sunlight is 50,000 - 100,000 lux, so you're hitting someone with several suns.

But, that would be at 1 meter distance, where the 380k cd is calculated. At further distance, the lux would be much lower. At 10 meters, it might only be 3800 lux, which is still bright but not damaging. So, it all comes down to distance, and how well focused the beam is for distance.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CD needed to disorient a person?

380,000 lux could certainly blind someone.

Temporarily, yes. But there is no danger of permanent blindness. A laser is orders of magnitude more focused, and concentrates ALL of its energy into a tiny area. 380,000 candela does make for a pretty intense beam...not going to be able to shrug it off in a couple seconds...but you should have no concerns about blindness. Worst thing that will happen is the person will be in pain for a few seconds, and see spots for up to a few hours (but more likely only a few minutes).

The sun is a decent analogy for one reason - it is sustained exposure over a significant period of time that causes harm. Simply glancing at the sun won't do you any harm, but if someone has a compulsion to stare at it for an extended period, it really can cause permanent damage. To do damage, then, you have to over-ride all the signals you are given (discomfort/pain, impaired vision) that warn you it is a bad idea. Most people will look away long before it becomes a real problem. The same is going to be true for your light...perhaps you could cause damage if you stared directly at the LED for an extended period at close range...but that is NOT the scenario you are suggesting. A brief flash isn't going to do any permanent harm.