Vintage Flashlight Beams?

JudoTRON

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,
I'm making a video game set in the sixties. At one point, the player's only illumination is an old flashlight. The problem I'm having is that all the patterns to shape the game light to resemble a flashlight's spot pattern look too modern. They're perfectly round and balanced. I want something like I remember from my childhood with a sort of starburst/sunray pattern caused by the segmented reflector, scratches on the lense, irregularities in the light, etc. I had a really sweet vintage rayovac that would've been perfect but the bulb burned out a while back and I haven't found a new one. Does anyone have something like this in their collection? I just can't picture how it looks anymore so if you could point your flashlight at a wall in a darkened room and snap a photo of the spot pattern I would REALLY appreciate it. I really want to get this detail right because it would add a lot to the atmosphere of the game and I can't find anything anywhere so I thought I would ask here. Thanks!
joshua

JudoTRON

Newly Enlightened
I hope so, WarRaven. It doesn't have to be a good camera. I'm going to have to do the whole effect from scratch I just need something to look at. I'm just trying to avoid something plain like this image.
headlamp09.jpg

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this thread has incredible potential; I hope you get some great photo responses, JudoTRON!
:welcome:

JudoTRON

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, you guys. Anything would be helpful. I keep trying to do it from memory and it doesn't look right.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
cdb26a1f2f22b25409543a0526828c89.jpg

2AA MagLite on garage door.
Nearly broke neck trying to navigate dark garage via said light lol.
It's a terrible pic but sets stage.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, I can make it look worse if you like ☺
Just got my old camera fired up and set better, was doing late night moon shots last night.
acec91989554df84c907914d4c2b0aa1.jpg

O/T, but keeping it bumped. ☺

JudoTRON

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, WarRaven. That's much better than the ones I've been seeing. I didn't remember the edges being as fuzzy as that so this is already a huge help. Thanks, again.
joshua

braddy

Enlightened
cdb26a1f2f22b25409543a0526828c89.jpg

2AA MagLite on garage door.
Nearly broke neck trying to navigate dark garage via said light lol.
It's a terrible pic but sets stage.

That is a fantastic beam shot, beautiful, I hope that makes it into the game.

braddy

Enlightened
Thanks, WarRaven. That's much better than the ones I've been seeing. I didn't remember the edges being as fuzzy as that so this is already a huge help. Thanks, again.
joshua

If I can figure out how to do a beamshot, I will try to post one from my 1965 Rayovac Sportsman. If you don't find what you want, can't you use WarRaven's, and tweak it with photoshop?

RA00029.jpg

Last edited:

JudoTRON

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, Braddy I will most likely have to do the whole thing in Photoshop, it's just I'm having trouble remembering details. In my mind, I'm picturing a pattern that has rays emanating from the center, or faintly around the edges that might be caused by a reflector like this one:
round_aluminium_led_flashlight_reflector.jpg
or a lense like this one :
$_57.JPG
(Sorry about the formatting here.) Does that make sense? It could be that I'm just misremembering the whole thing. I would've sworn there was something like it in the movie "Time Bandits" but I looked yesterday and it was obviously just a small spotlight they used to simulate a flashlight so if I was wrong about that, I could just be completely wrong. If that's the case then I will use work from warRaven's image because that looks much more vintage than the usual ones.
joshua

Stream

Enlightened
Here are some pictures of a 1920s Eveready 2C flashlight, one of which is a beam shot. I had to dig through two hard drives to find these, so I hope they can be of some help. The pictures are not that great, and were taken back in 2005 with a sucky camera. Unfortunately, the flashlight is stowed away somewhere in the attic, and I don't have it handy to take new pictures. You may notice that the beam has no hot spot, and it looks kind of like a full moon with a bright ring around the outer edge. It has a sort of fisheye, magnifying type of lens. The reflector has faded, and it was no doubt painted originally, so the beam was probably clearer and brighter when it was new.

Last edited:

JudoTRON

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Stream. These are all very helpful. Do I see a bit of chromatic aberration around the edge of the spot? The rainbow effect? I never thought about adding that. That could make a really nice detail.
joshua

Stream

Enlightened
You're welcome. The ring around the spot does look rainbow colored in the picture, but I don't remember if that is just how the camera rendered it or if the rainbow colors could be seen with the eye.

JudoTRON

Newly Enlightened
Judging by the shape of that lense, I'm guessing it's chromatic aberration. Great detail.

Swede74

Enlightened
I originally posted these photos in a "Show us your worst beamshot"- thread on Budgetlightforum. One shows the beam pattern of a 3xAAA powered 6 LED + 1 incandescent flashlight made in the early 2000s (in incandescent-only mode), the other that of a 2xAA powered incandescent from ca 2010. Not exactly vintage lights, but not exactly state-of-the-art beam patterns either :)

img20120616122451.jpg