Search & Rescue lots of throw, with decent flood capability?

kkay

Newly Enlightened
I am considering a ArmyTek Barracuda v2 in the future. Not sure if it is the best in that price range. I also like red light/filters, and switching back to white light, if I prefer though. I have this on my headlamp, and love it. The bugs aren't so bad in the red light. I would like to use 1 or 2 18650, no more than that. It if it CR123 capable, that is fine too. I would definitely have to find a good deal on one though. Thoughts?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your above is a bit confusing.

I would recommend sticking with 18650 batteries because of voltage and mAh capacity. Are you wanting a thrower or a flooder? How far do you expect the beam to go out and still be effective for your needs?

I find what you ask for will need several lights as a solution. In the newness of my ignorance, I see you not needing one light but instead, I see you needing four lights.

Disclosure: Currently a Nitecore fanboy. Expectedly, my next light will be a ThruNite TN32; a thrower.

As to the number of batteries you're going use in a light, much will depend on the LED used, the output of the LED and what your expected run-time is going be. Everything is fickle in that you want but you can't have. The best thrower/floody that I've found is a Nitecore TM16. The best thrower that I've found is the ThruNite TN32. The best headlamp, which you described, with multiple colored lights (red, green, blue) and a main light is a single 18650 Nitecore HC90.

I'm sure others will weigh in on your question but my recommendation will be a Nitecore HC90 headlamp and a Nitecore TM16. If you want a thrower, the a ThruNite TN32. All recommendations are based on my limited bias' as there are many light manufactures and lights to choose from which will meet your needs.

Last edited:

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Well thank you for your reply. I prefer 18650, no doubt about it. But if it would also take CR123's, that would be fine too. I had hoped for a 1x18650, but if it requires 2, I could live with it. I was wondering about a T20C2, or T25C2, or MX25L3 by Eagle Tac. Also ArmyTek Barracuda was something I was looking at. But these are just the first round. I was hoping I might get a light or two I was not aware of, but in that price range.

I know Eagle Tac has filters you can add on to some lights. (red in particular, I have no need for the others) I live in an area that has multitudes of bugs in the warm months. They are highly attracted to any light, much less bright light. This is not a deal breaker, but it would be nice. I have red light, or you can switch over to white light, on both of my headlamps. One of them is just a cheap Energizer, the other a Princeton Tec Remix. I like to take them fishing. The bugs still come up to the red light, but not nearly as bad as the white light.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Hound Dog.
2 18650's or 4x123 in the MD4 body.

Separate light for filters

Last edited:

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that looks like a good one, on the upper end. I had looked at it before, and forgot to type that one in here. Thank you for recommending that one. I doubt if it will be on a good sale, but it is possible. I am in no hurry on the light. But I'd like to know which I think would suit me. That way if a deal came along, I wouldn't pass it up, trying to do last minute decisions. I will already know, when the time hopefully comes. I recently became aware of Malkoff stuff. I had never looked at their site until July.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know Eagle Tac has filters you can add on to some lights. (red in particular, I have no need for the others) I live in an area that has multitudes of bugs in the warm months. They are highly attracted to any light, much less bright light. This is not a deal breaker, but it would be nice. I have red light, or you can switch over to white light, on both of my headlamps. One of them is just a cheap Energizer, the other a Princeton Tec Remix. I like to take them fishing. The bugs still come up to the red light, but not nearly as bad as the white light.

Look into the Nitecore TM16 and the Nitecore HC90. Both use 18650 batteries. How up is your kit with Deet?

Wish you well with your fishing efforts.

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Parrot. I will check them out. Yes, I have bug spray in all 3 of my bags. I keep a light, med, heavy backpack going, depending on the need. I usually have Repel Lemon Eucalyptus spray on hand. I even have it on the porch. In one of my bags, I have a home made lotion that is even better for a bug spray. A friend of mine makes it himself. It is wonderful. Blood suckers especially love me. They will pick me out of a crowd to come feast on. It's always been that way for me. I guess it is something in my body chemistry that they like. I personally hate them. LOL.

kkay

Newly Enlightened
The HC90 is a headlamp. If I decide to get a 3rd headlamp, I will throw that name in the pot. I used to keep one headlamp in my fishing gear bag. But now I have one headlamp in the med, and one in the heavy backpack. Eventually I may get two more, but that will not be any time soon. The TM16 looked good. I will have to do more studying on this. This info that y'all have suggested, will help me though. Thank you guys so much. :thumbsup:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I have the dubious distinction of being the only person in the world to have paid $199. Ohhh lucky me. :D

And considering what was being sold five-six years ago, even though I paid top dollar for the TM16, for what it does, it's still a good deal.

If it was the middle of the night and I was on a boat fishing, I would have five lights; headlamp, pocket light, thrower, flooder and my key chain light. :D

Last edited:

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Yes, now that is a deal! That's what I'm talking about. I need to get to studying! I'm in no rush though. I just bought a Eagle Tac D25LC2 Clicky, and a couple of ET batteries too. But I want to know what flashlights will suit my needs (search & rescue type), so if the right one presents itself, at a very good price, I will jump on it. The Malkoff Hound Dog looked excellent. But I seriously doubt if I will find a greatly reduced price on it. But I might decide it is worth it, after more research. Thank you all. I have a ton of more reading to do on this. :thumbsup:

Well the Nitecore TM16 is out. It requires 4 batteries at one time. I will keep looking.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem, in the case of the TM16, it has four LED emitters. The more demand that's put on the battery, the more batteries one will find they need to get any sort of run-time out of their flashlight rig.

The next light in the queue for my purchase pleasure is the TN32 and it needs three 18650s. I know in your original post you mentioned only one or two 18650s; why the rejection of three or four 18650 lights?

Last edited:

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Well I have never used 2x18650 before. 4 just seems like a lot. Yes, it will give you longer battery life. I have an Ultrafire XML T6 that is my best outdoor light, so far. It uses 1x18650 battery, and is good for most instances. I also have a Cree Ultrafire WF-502B, and it is a really good light, but it isn't quite up to the task here. I might be persuaded to try 3x18650. The Barracuda only uses 2x 18650 though, if I remember right. I don't recall what the Malkoff Hound Dog used at the moment. To use 4x18650 would cost a pretty penny to load up, and have a backup set too. I just looked at another thread, and I guess what I am looking for would be called a wide throw. :thinking:

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
To use 4x18650 would cost a pretty penny to load up, and have a backup set too.

Agreed on the price of batteries but I see it as the price of the hobby when compared to the price of a decent snow blower or a 225HP outboard motor. Even the price of Chinese food has gone through the roof. :D Everybody wants your money and nobody loves you when you're broke. I understand. :D

All I can recommend is what I currently know, Nitecore products. And a two battery, 18650 light, the EC4, with a set of batteries and a good charger is a hundred dollars.

There are beam shots at the end of this review.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Search & Rescue lots of throw, with decent flood capability?

Too bad you want spill. I'd say check out Olight M2X-UT or my favorite M3XS-UT. New M23 would probably be best bet for throw and some flood. Can't comment on AT lights, they just don't speak to me much.
This is a daytime beam shot from my M3XS-UT, not much spill to be seen, though should have your throw covered.

980b57414a58af4977a9a2daf751cb74.jpg

Last edited:

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Parrot Quack. You have tried to help me, and I do very much appreciate your comments. I will look at the EC4. I already have a charger. I will look at your beam shots too. That is ALWAYS quite helpful!

kkay

Newly Enlightened

WarRaven, thank you for commenting, and for the photo too. I will take a look at those Olights. :thumbsup:

Too bad you want spill. I'd say check out Olight M2X-UT or my favorite M3XS-UT. New M23 would probably be best bet for throw and some flood. Can't comment on AT lights, they just don't speak to me much.
This is a daytime beam shot from my M3XS-UT, not much spill to be seen, though should have your throw covered.

980b57414a58af4977a9a2daf751cb74.jpg

kkay

Newly Enlightened

Olight M3XS-UT...looked at it, and it was impressive on You Tube.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a laser of sorts, it compliments my flooder on walks.
I use a M22 for local viewing, and the M3XS-UT for distance.
It also has gone on sale for half of its current retail price and may again. I got mine at Gearbest ftr.
Check out the M23 javelot as well, I'm after one of them next, on sale hopefully.

Edit,.. do note, at low power where most don't use it, it has a shifted tint/ color to green, and that fades as you use higher power levels.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Whenever a person wants throw, and flood, the first question is always "HOW MUCH"?

IE: If you describe what you would want to be able to see, and what range, its would start the process by only including things that can put enough lux on that target at that range to allow resolution of it.

After that is established, its about what is ALSO wider in beam angle that can reach the same distance.

So, how far away do you want to be able to see what?

:D