WAIST CARRY (Either On [Belt] or Inside waist band carry) --- What? Why? How?

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
I would carry a pocket light inside a shirt pocket if all my shirts had pockets, but they all don't have pockets. I always wear a waist band on my pants, however... so I like sticking with this type of carry for its consistency in working with my attire.

The only EDC knife I've actually been able to carry with me EVERY day is a Leatherman Freestyle CX, carried Inside Waist Band (IWB). It is strictly because the clip is stronger than anything else I've ever come across. Due to it's rounded shape it kinda curves with the inside of my leg, so I don't ever know it's there unless I need it. Likewise, the only pair of sunglasses that I've ever been able to carry with me is the pair that I put a neck strap on. Without it, I'd just set it down and never find it again. Retention mechanisms are pretty much my #1 feature in an EDC tool.

And I just can't understand how people clip a light to the inside of their pant pocket without snagging their keys, phone, etc. on it and pulling the light out unnecessarily. My pockets are pretty much full or are guaranteed to be full by the end of the day... so if I want to truly carry an EDC light, I think it's necessary for it to be carried on [belt] or inside waist band. Who else out there is with me on that?

What do you carry (specifics make / model? specific features, like tail clicky or strobe for defense, or just size and good clip?)???

Why does it work for you [or with your other EDC gear, perhaps]???

And how do you carry it (any particular side / location? any special tricks you've found for finding comfort? do you have to be mindful of it when popping a squat?)???

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my EDC is a Streamlight Microstream, and that just sits in the bottom of my front pants pocket. But when I carry my G2 or 6P or EA41 or even my TM11, they are all carried in holsters/pouches on my belt. Usually it will be my G2 or my 6P. I have nice nylon holsters with flap tops and an integrated belt loop. They also have a MOLLE/PALS snap strap and a D-ring, neither of which I use. I usually wear them on my left side, just so they don't interfere with my seat belt - since I am always the driver the seat belt fastens on the right and the light can get in the way sometimes. I sometimes carry my Nitecore MT06 or Terralux Lightstar 80 penlights, and since all my shirts do have pockets, that's where they go. I tried carrying my 6P in my back pocket, but since it doesn't have a clip, it tends to fall over and lay along the bottom of the pocket. That's not a problem until I go to sit down, then I stand up again and reright it before sitting again. Hope this helps.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Here is my set up. Left pocket. I carry my McGizmo in the center, my Hinderer Ti Kubaton which is my EDC pen, at the rear and an Aeon on a #2 McGizmo clip at the front part, keys in the bottom.

Right pocket. I carry the-folding-knife-of-the-day, bottom of pocket a medium size SAK, and my money clip. In the watch pocket, I have my Foursevens Titanium Quark MiNi CR2.

Back pockets are reserved for whatever is needed for the day, maybe another McGizmo? Or what ever.

Necklace: para cord, with Toby's bead with two 11mm Trit. Vials two Tom Anderson Grenade Beads, and my LaPetite Killer.

To the average person that seems, well crazy! However around here, many people Carry that much and more. I find it fun.

A few years ago, at the Emmy Awards, Jennifer Aniston was up for an Emmy, and Brad Pitt was just hanging around backstage near the deadline photo room. I noticed he had a British made Billingham camera bag, these are not cheap, and you never see anyone with them, so I went over and told him I have that same bag, a Billingham 445 but I never use it for photography, just gadgets and things. His reply: "Thats exactly what I do", he said he liked gadgets too, but they mess up his Tux and suits.

A little off topic but you do need a back-up bag, for over flow some days, also, days you do wear an expensive suit. When I wear a suit or my tux I cut way back on items I carry, so I use some kind of bag even my Billingham.

Now these bags are about the best in the world. If you want something unique and handmade for your gear this is one to look at. WARNING: PRICE COULD COULD INDUCE ILLNESS!

Last edited:

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
To the average person that seems, well crazy! However around here, many people Carry that much and more. I find it fun.
Uhhhh... yea! I think that 4, maybe 5 lights being carried EVERY day by one person is a little crazy. Two would be my max. AAA keychain light and maybe a AA light somewhere on my hip. I don't think a AA light will do too well inside the waist, honestly... so I will probably start looking for some type of belt pouch. These Skinth pouches are the cleanest ones I've seen since starting this thread --> http://skinthsolutions.com They just have so many of them that I wouldn't even know where to start. But they definitely add a new dynamic that I wasn't honestly considering before this. Want IWB setup so bad, but I don't think I could find anything comfortable enough that wouldn't also do as well as a AAA keychain light.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an Eagletac D25A2 in my front right pocket along with an ink pen. I carry nothing else in that pocket. In my left pocket I carry change, my maglite solitare, and my keys. As far as belt carry goes I usually belt carry my EA4 and that's in a kydex holster I made. Sometimes I carry my Coast HP14 and use a Nite ize elastic holster which works well. If I'm carrying a larger light like my Sx25l2t or tk41 I use a leather hammer loop.

I carry the D25A2 everyday no matter what, even if I am belt carrying a larger light, because I love the size and ability to find AA batteries everywhere. The UI of the light is the best I have used and runtimes are pretty good. It carries comfortably in my pocket, even tight Wranglers, and doesn't get annoying.

I will carry larger lights depending on what I'm doing. If I am going out on the lake I take my Tk41 for more throw, output, and runtime so I will belt carry then. If I am going out to the movies, dinner, etc in a city that I'm not sure of I carry the sx25l2t set to strobe mode because it is a large enough light that it can be deployed for different uses. The EA4 is what I carry when I need a lot of light in a small package and still have decent runtimes. In its kydex holster it rides close to my body and isn't that noticeable plus allows me to access it quickly. I mainly carry it when I may need instant access to turbo.

I get by not having stuff snagged on my lights because everything has a designated spot. Light and pen front right pocket; keys, change, and back up light front left; wallet back right; phone in a belt pouch on right side; Esee Izula knife on my belt on left side. When I belt carry a light it's next to my knife.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting points of view here...

I used to EDC one or 2 lights in holsters for work until I noticed they were tearing a hole into my car seat. Now I keep one in a cargo pant pocket, the other in my daypack until I need to be on-site for maintenance or repairs (then they I put them back on my belt cause I do need them a lot). Not crazy about the idea of carrying any light inside my waistband as I had many a single CR123 light in a holster jab me in the side when entering / exiting my car.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhhhh... yea! I think that 4, maybe 5 lights being carried EVERY day by one person is a little crazy. Two would be my max. AAA keychain light and maybe a AA light somewhere on my hip. I don't think a AA light will do too well inside the waist, honestly... so I will probably start looking for some type of belt pouch. These Skinth pouches are the cleanest ones I've seen since starting this thread --> http://skinthsolutions.com They just have so many of them that I wouldn't even know where to start. But they definitely add a new dynamic that I wasn't honestly considering before this. Want IWB setup so bad, but I don't think I could find anything comfortable enough that wouldn't also do as well as a AAA keychain light.

Ya, maybe it is crazy, hey man cool it I'm an artist, no, just kidding but I can use that when need be, look let's right off the bat forget the LaPetite, I mean really, the Aeon and CR2 MiNi are nowhere near full size flashlights and my Haiku is still a single CR123.

The best part is I have won more than a little money betting with people, I add a couple more in my back pocket and state I am carrying 7 flash lights, and when I start taking them out they pay up, and these are not small amounts. Try it your self, it works every time. See they think of Mag lights or something. If you do this bring as much money as you can, because it's a sure thing.

And if you want the truth, I like doing it, I think it's fun. And, around here I'm sure many carry more than a few.

The Skinth pouches are very nice, however they take a month once you place your order or you can go to B & H NYC and order a Domke belt pouch.

We fly so much out of Palm Springs PSP, the TSA know me, and say we don't need to look in your briefcase, but we want to see your lights, even the girls, and other passengers.

So, you see the TSA does not think I'm crazy!

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tha mad people not thinking you're crazy does not make you sane...

:crackup: I just had to :p

Come on man, I can't be the sole person on CPF that carries a few lights. The mad people whisk me thru like Sinatra, so it is not all bad. Maybe that is my way of outwitting them?

There have been times they held the flight because of all the questions, about the lights, then I have to run and the Senior Flight Attendant and the Captain are waiting for me at the door. It mess up their pushback time.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I do forensic investigations, and I might have 10 lights on me on a work day....in various wavelengths and beam patterns.

When not on the job, I might STILL have 4-5 lights on me anyway, as they tend to come in handy quite often, and I DO like having the right one for the job. Sometimes its just that I didn't empty my pockets from work...so I simply have whatever was in there all day, etc.

I don't clip any...all are just in pockets.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on man, I can't be the sole person on CPF that carries a few lights. The mad people whisk me thru like Sinatra, so it is not all bad. Maybe that is my way of outwitting them?

There have been times they held the flight because of all the questions, about the lights, then I have to run and the Senior Flight Attendant and the Captain are waiting for me at the door. It mess up their pushback time.

I did not mean you're crazy for carrying multiple lights... I usually have at least 2 on me, plus 2 in my backpack and at least 4 more in the car. I try to carry less than 4 lights for flights, though, but I do bring 2 18650 sized electronic cigarettes that often get some attention and swabbing.

xzel87

Enlightened
If there's a lot of things, an external bag/pouch/backpack is the best.

On my person my AA/18650 light always clipped to the front right pocket, rightmost edge. It shares a pocket with my phone (HTC M7), the light will leave scratches and stuff on my phone casing but no big deal that's what the casing is for right?

Wallet, back right pocket.

Keys & coins front left pocket.

Any other items would be in the sling bag/manpurse/backpack or if I'm wearing cargo shorts/pants it will be in the side pockets, these are usually spare batteries, multitool, powerbank, cables, band-aid and some medication etc.

So far light has not dropped out from pocket even when doing number 2 with pants down and whatnot, but this is due to my preference of stiff, deep carry clips.

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
Wallet, back right pocket.

Keys & coins front left pocket.
Well, IWB definitely didn't seem like it could work for me.. no matter how short or thin the light I've come across so far. I feel like a more squared body might actually make it possible, but the cylinder shape doesn't seem like it could ever be comfortable in that position.

Decided on making a AAA light my EDC and carrying it in my back left pocket. Least used of my pockets... and only recently did I start carrying a bandana in that same pocket. Was carrying the Thrunite Ti4 in the leftmost side of that back left pocket, but the first and last settings are too low and too high for my intended purposes. Am now carrying the 1910B in that pocket because its 2 light settings are perfect for me. Also, its pocket clip is even stronger than the Thrunite's. I hung them both upside down from an envelope I'd gotten in the mail. The Thrunite's clip was strong, but the length of it allowed a greater torque to rotate it off the envelope, meaning not strong enough for me. The Pelican hung upside down didn't budge at all. Not afan of the Pelican's button.. but I think it has found a home on my EDC list. :party:

xzel87

Enlightened
Well, IWB definitely didn't seem like it could work for me.. no matter how short or thin the light I've come across so far. I feel like a more squared body might actually make it possible, but the cylinder shape doesn't seem like it could ever be comfortable in that position.

Decided on making a AAA light my EDC and carrying it in my back left pocket. Least used of my pockets... and only recently did I start carrying a bandana in that same pocket. Was carrying the Thrunite Ti4 in the leftmost side of that back left pocket, but the first and last settings are too low and too high for my intended purposes. Am now carrying the 1910B in that pocket because its 2 light settings are perfect for me. Also, its pocket clip is even stronger than the Thrunite's. I hung them both upside down from an envelope I'd gotten in the mail. The Thrunite's clip was strong, but the length of it allowed a greater torque to rotate it off the envelope, meaning not strong enough for me. The Pelican hung upside down didn't budge at all. Not afan of the Pelican's button.. but I think it has found a home on my EDC list. :party:

Glad you found a solution you liked for the moment. I guess not many carry in front pockets maybe because it gets uncomfortable when you sit down?, Never happens to me unless there's a 9P sized light in there, usually the light (with strong clip) stays at the rightmost edge upright and follows my leg movement well enough to stay at the side of my thighs. Not sure if you get what I mean but this can only be done with a strong, stiff pocket clip.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I find that I don't have room for lights in my pockets, given all of the other things in my pockets, unless I wear cargo pants. I can't often wear cargo pants to work, and when I do I don't want to have to keep loading and unloading the cargo pockets. So, to carrry the Fenix PD22 G2 I've been carrying for EDC to work, or the Zebralight SC52 I sometimes carry, plus the spare batteries that are a must (I work in Washington, D.C., where an emergeny is always a possibility), I wear either my Skinth belt pouch or a RipOffs holster with the spare batteries stashed in a pocket or my work bag. That way, the flashlight is readily available (e.g., for those occasions when the subway car goes dark and begins filling with smoke), is reasonably unobtrusive and flush with my body, and does not interfere with my ability to get at other items in my pockets.