Melbourne Australia ( Meet ? ) Wow its August 2015

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it time for a meet ?
My back has given me grief for the last two years ( rather bad )
But recently it has gotten a little better ( enough to think about doing stuff )

I have a few new lights ( :whistle: )
+ How about doing a swap meet ?
When you have 100+ Lights , you start to think you may have a few your prepared to sell or swap .
Same goes for all the parts I have collected ...
And what about helping some one MOD ? ( I dont mind helping )

So this might possibly mean a pre - dark meet , maybe a 2pm start so there is some daylight for Swapping / selling / modding ?
Just an idea to spice up an afternoon , ......

But it could be time for a meet though ?

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the slow reply, I am OK to meet most weekends. The others are driving from Wangaratta and Ballarat etc....lets see what they say.

Location? Proposed dates?

harro

Enlightened
Is there normally something around March/April when daylight savings finishes ?? It'd probably work better for a day/night meet then. Just a thought. I've never attended a meet, but it'd be nice to be able to put a face to a forum name. Is it an invite thing, or just turn up on the proposed date/time ??
Mike ( Shepparton ).

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow ! ( Does not look like there is much interest )

harro = Generally some one picks a time and place and anyone that wants to is free to attend . It's a great way to see flashlights you would not ordinarily see or own .
Also a good time to pick some ones brain ( lots of folks mod )

Yeah , daylight savings now ...
+ Last year my back was seriously cactus so wasn't overly interested in anything ...

Feeling better ATM , but there is no interest from the looks of things . ( August post )
Apparently a bumper summer for snakes ( thank goodness for flashlights )

Flashy808

Enlightened
Hmm indeed, hard to find many flashaholics in Australia.

But I am in Victoria so I am kind of interested....

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm , there are a few !

Back a few years ago there was bumper interest .
But there is that eb and flow ..

+ how many flashlights can you own and maintain a strong interest ... ( ?? )

I dont know how many I have , but its north off 100 , how far north ( ?? ) I haven't counted ..
I know its north off 100 as a few years ago I counted and stopped counting at 100 ..
Do I really want to know ? ( not really )

I might have to start modding more , rather than thinking about buying ...

harro

Enlightened
Things seem to have stagnated a bit, maybe that reflects the current development of torches, who knows ?
How many lumens can you ultimately pack into a softdrink can, and still have it reliable and constant ?
Personally, I liked the comment ' a good chance to see lights that you don't own, or may be thinking of buying ( not verbatim )'.
A meet can be a fair commit and commute for people from afar, although that's always going to be the case.
Wherever it may be, those post D/S nights where its a bit cooler, and our slithery friends are not quite so active, sounds good.
It'd be interesting to see some modded stuff, although I personally don't own any ( apart from a NW Skyray King, with reliability the object ). To me, 5 or 5000 lumens is interesting.
Personally, I don't know anything about geocaching or those sorts of activities of previous meets ( my loss ! ), but a conventional night walk, or just a good open area, may be the go ?? What do others think ?? I'd go with the flow.

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
It looks nice. Would a group of people with torches at night, be regarded as offensive in any way ? You would hope not, as we are only savouring the sights of a good spot, under torchlight ( albeit with a few very powerful torches possibly ). There would be a few reasonable motels to choose from, within a couple of kms? I don't want to drive up the Hume/GV freeway's at night, too many Skippy's with death wishes and no road sense !! At this point, I reckon I'd be in if it happened to be round April 2016 sometime. Just not Anzac weekend for me ( the higher authority keeps rambling on about some wedding anniversary thing that seems to happen every 25th April.......what the...??? ).

:caution:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks nice. Would a group of people with torches at night, be regarded as offensive in any way ? You would hope not, as we are only savouring the sights of a good spot, under torchlight ( albeit with a few very powerful torches possibly ). There would be a few reasonable motels to choose from, within a couple of kms? I don't want to drive up the Hume/GV freeway's at night, too many Skippy's with death wishes and no road sense !! At this point, I reckon I'd be in if it happened to be round April 2016 sometime. Just not Anzac weekend for me ( the higher authority keeps rambling on about some wedding anniversary thing that seems to happen every 25th April.......what the...??? ).

:caution:

Problems , (?) What problems ..

3 Apr 2016 - Daylight Saving Time Ends Ends

In the year 2016, Easter Sunday will fall on:
March 27th ( Easter Sunday )

Holly Smoke Batman !
Easter in March

:shakehead

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sat 2nd April looks good....

We usually meet up before it gets really dark. We try to get locations where there are picnic tables and BBQ pits to have a light meal. Previous good locations have been Jells Park, Lysterfield Lake, Cardinia Reservoir, Aura Vale Lake. Last few meets we had regulars from Ballarat, Warragul and Wangaratta. Hopefully, our good friend Norm from Warragul will join us using one of the stars in heaven, RIP old pal.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I visited your great city last March and met with Norm Eyres just before he passed away. Would love to come but I'm back in the states.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we go to Lysterfield Lake, I reckon we can get a little kayaking and BBQ going before it gets dark. Has great open spaces and the tower is a 324m target from the picnic table.

280209089.jpg

280209090.jpg

280209091.jpg

Another possible meet location at Lysterfield Lake: Tower is around 600m away and the opposite side of the lake is around 450m. Believe it or not most HID lights and some big LED throwers can hit those marks quite easily....

280209081.jpg

280209082.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts