Crazy diffuser idea

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm sure this is not practical...yet. But you know the electronic window tint in offices (and I'm sure expensive homes)? You flip a switch and it immedaitely "fogs" up, still allowing light to come in like diffuser film.

Would this ever be possible on a flashlight as a diffuser? Imagine no flip cap, screw-on or sticky diffuser to carry around and mess with!

I'm not sure if these windows use power the ENTIRE time the diffuser is being applied, or if it just uses a little bit of electricity to "activate" and then nothing. If the latter, I guess it could be practical in a flashlight...just expensive! And yes, more stuff to fail.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat idea but personally I prefer sometime of external diffuser on my hand held light because I don't have to worry about it being stuck as either a thrower or flooder. I do think it would work quite well on area lights though. If you had a cordless work light (I have seen some that are a 6" x 6" square with a single xml and a shallow reflector) than it would be handy to have that capability.

For instance you are working up on a ladder with the light down on the ground, you have the diffuser turned off so you have a spot light that will put all the light on the one area you are working on but then when you are done you could turn the diffuser on and hang the light on the ladder so you can see to clean up the work area.

It would be even better if it was infinitely adjustable so you could adjust how diffused you wanted the light to be.

Amelia

Enlightened
I've always thought that a camera-iris type diffuser where you twist and the little curved pieces close in would be a GREAT and simple way to do a diffuser. Someone will probably think of it soon... :)

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny how the marketing departments of companies coin terms that really have nothing to do with what's actually going on. There is no focusing whatsoever going on with that light. Different LEDs are turned on at different times/combinations depending on the user's needs making it "appear" that there is focusing occurring. Neat concept, though and it seems like it would be useful.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, sir. Like "HD flashlights." 4k? Better than 1080p? Huh? :)

Oh, then there's the "variable color temperature lights." Kinda interesting.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...04-Variable-Color-Temperature-4xAA-Flashlight

Back on the "real on topic," those electric window tints are LCD/electric afaik. They consume power while dark, but barely any really. Smart engineering would have made them solar. :)

Anyway, if all you want is "spot to flood," such exists. I just rec'd an HID spotlight that can do it. :)

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Here is what you do, this is the best way you can imagine. And it is the professional way 100%...

I have published this here so many times.

Go to a professional camera store, and ask for a Gel sample book. In there is every color you could ever imagine and every kind of possible diffusion material. We use these in special photo shoots to change colors, add kicker light color, and soften subjects. They are also used by the motion picture DPs on Multi million dollar films, and for live theater, and our flashlights.

The samples are Roscoe or Lee, and are free, don't mention flashlights! Say this. "I need this for a photo production I am the director of photography on, I do my own lighting, and we will need several rolls of gel, and some sheets after the color tests." If not they may charge you for it. If you can't find it call B & H in NYC, go to the lighting dept. and say the same thing, and check out the flashlights, they have good deals.

The samples are small and will fit right in your flashlight window. The diffusion gels are amazing, and the work wonders. Plus no flashlight is hot enough to do anything to them an they are used in the huge lights for motion pictures, so don't worry. Direct contact with the bulb is a different story.

This is the professional way to go about it. You will love what you can to with this, if you have some lights that are too cool, or purple 1/4 or 1/2 Orange CTO will turn them perfect
white. Too green use a magenta.

They provide them free, as you may want to buy a few sheets to have around, and this stuff is not expensive at all all photographers have sheets for years, I still use many I bought 25 years ago. In the Motion Picture business they call this kind of stuff expendables, which means they toss them away after shooting or what ever.

Good luck,

RL

I wish they would sticky this, I can write it a little better and it would help all who want to make their lights Red, Blue, Green or by mixing the gels an unimaginable number of colors, and then all the diffusion material. They provide them free, as you may want to purchase and have a few sheets around, and this stuff is not expensive at all

I have wrote this around 50 times.

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I'm sure this is not practical...yet. But you know the electronic window tint in offices (and I'm sure expensive homes)? You flip a switch and it immedaitely "fogs" up, still allowing light to come in like diffuser film.

Would this ever be possible on a flashlight as a diffuser? Imagine no flip cap, screw-on or sticky diffuser to carry around and mess with!

I'm not sure if these windows use power the ENTIRE time the diffuser is being applied, or if it just uses a little bit of electricity to "activate" and then nothing. If the latter, I guess it could be practical in a flashlight...just expensive! And yes, more stuff to fail.

I mentioned this before :p

Rider57

Newly Enlightened
Great idea! Wish we had this now. Might need a thick lense that will prob drop otf lumens but wth this would be too cool to matter.

Another "crazy" idea for a diffuser in a pinch is toilent paper. Fold it once or twice and rubberband it on the head. Works amazingly well. Must see to believe

The Macgyver Diffuser

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rider is sorta on it. The glass requires a membrane that gets excited by the electrons. Not so much the thickness, but more so the actual membrane would hinder your lumen output. So much for UCL. If you thought that scratched up plastic Maglite lens was bad! I have been in a building that has this type of glass installed in some offices. It is noticeable. Also its natural state is "foggy" only when juice is applied does it become "clear". They claim it is efficient, but any extra parasitic draw on a CR123 or AAA isn't welcome in my book.
But hey, ya never know.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They claim it is efficient, but any extra parasitic draw on a CR123 or AAA isn't welcome in my book.
But hey, ya never know.

In the case of nano crystal, it uses a quick pulse to change the state of the crystal. Sort of like polarisation. You are right though, it isn't your UCL

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Great idea! Wish we had this now. Might need a thick lense that will prob drop otf lumens but wth this would be too cool to matter.

Another "crazy" idea for a diffuser in a pinch is toilent paper. Fold it once or twice and rubberband it on the head. Works amazingly well. Must see to believe

The Macgyver Diffuser
That is the way we do it on location with maybe an index card for bounce flash, but I love improvising. That is the best way to learn.

I spoke with this old cinematographer, and asked him what they did for lighting, his reply was anything we could find, pie tins. Mirrors the side of a white building and so on. This is a fantastic way to learn what light does, and it is fun.

Rider57

Newly Enlightened
True...but that's why we're on cpf and most couchers are on facebook lol

You sir, deserve a round of applause for that response, or at least a little Ceasars $5 pizza. Bravo sir, bravo!