NEW ThruNite TN12 (2016)

mpett1

Newly Enlightened
The ThruNite TN12 (2016) is the improved version of The TN12 2014. It features improved side switch and circuit design, and can give out up to 1050 lumen with one 18650 battery. A body specifically designed for better single hand operation and a new emitter (XM-L2 U2) to supply more beam with throw and flood.
The upgrade than TN12 (2014):
1.Upgraded stainless steel side switch to make the operation more sensitive.
2.TN12(2016) has the better LED focus function than TN12(2014).
3.Improved circuit design
makes the brightness difference between High and Turbo Mode more obvisous.

4.More Thicken light head design makes the flashlight more drop-resistant.
Features
- Upgraded stainless steel side switch to make the operation more sensitive.
- Cree XM-L2 U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours.
- Uses one 18650 rechargeable battery or two CR123A batteries (not included).
- Max output: 1050 lumens with XM-L2 U2.
- Working voltage: 2.7V - 9V.
- Reverse polarity protection design to protect from improper battery installation.
- Versatile mode: Turbo (1050lm/95min), Strobe (800lm/3.8hrs), High (370lm/4.2hrs), Medium (145lm/11.8hrs), Low (11lm/5.5days), Firefly (0.4lm/74days).
- Aircraft-grade aluminum body.
- Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish.
- Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating.
- Smooth reflector gives perfect beam and throw.
- Dimension: 143mm (Length)*25.4mm (Diameter).
- Weight: only 82g (without batteries).

Turn ON/OFF
Press the tail switch gently for momentary on or until it clicks to turn on the light. Press again to turn the light off.
Change Modes
With the light turns on, press the side switch to circle through five different mode outputs from firefly mode, low, medium,high and Max.
[h=3]One Key to Strobe[/h]With the light on, press and hold the side switch for about 1 second to enter into Strobe mode (13HZ), and a single press the side switch will return to the last mode before Strobe.
One second to strobe for signaling or blinding the bad guys' eyes, TN12 is more than an EDC.
[h=3]Unique Firefly Mode[/h]What's the use of this 0.4 lumen setting, which is similar to moonlight? Reading a map while surviving, guiding the way without blinding yourself while awake from sleep, or just reading in its natural beam to protect the eyes at night. Firefly mode is what ThruNite keeps doing to be considerate for every user, tactical or normal.

CAUTION
* Use Of Battery
1. Battery: Uses 1*18650 /2*CR123 batteries
2. Battery Replacement: To ensure performance of the flashlight and for your own safety, please use good quality with an integrated protected circuit and make sure to insert the battery correctly with the positive(+) polarity pointing to the light head.
3. Please take out battery if you will not use your light for an extended period of time to avoid battery leakage,which may damage the flashlight components and parts.

* Use of O-rings (if available)
1. The right amount of lubricant will be used on the O-rings before shipping to ensure the light can be assembled smoothly and protect from oxidizing the O-rings.
2. If necessary, please replace the spare O-rings attached in the package.
*Max Output
1. Please mind the hot. When the light runs a long time, there is heat coming from battery discharge, drive circuit and LED, the flashlight head will be very hot.
2. DO NOT run the light at max mode for a long time. To protect the battery, driver circuit and LED, we do not recommend you run the light at max mode more than ten minutes.

Warning
1.ThruNite flashlights are high brightness output lights, which MAY cause eye damage or other harms, ThruNite is not responsible for improper using.
2.Please keep away from children.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, this would have been a great opportunity to upgrade the light with the XPL HI, yet no cigar.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Focus function and a NEW emitter. There goes marketing for ya.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for comment on the included warning:

*Max Output
1. Please mind the hot. When the light runs a long time, there is heat coming from battery discharge, drive circuit and LED, the flashlight head will be very hot.
2. DO NOT run the light at max mode for a long time. To protect the battery, driver circuit and LED, we do not recommend you run the light at max mode more than ten minutes."

Reads like an admittedly defective design. Besides an education, what am I missing?

Javora

Enlightened
Seems like the light would step down before it gets too hot...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is this madness? Come on Thrunite!? The CW TN12 2014 was already using the U2 so no new U3 or XP-L emitter? What happened to the 800 lumen high mode? Now its only 800 lumens in strobe and high is now 370? Could be worse but could also be better. 9 volts? So it will work off 2 RCR's thats cool. I am hoping and it seems like the light still works in direct drive fashion in turbo and high like the 2014 and is basically thermally regulated at those levels.

That being said the light looks really good! The steel side switch looks very impressive. The light looks much tougher than the 2014. Output is the same which is fine.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they had put the lit switch like they have in the TN4A I would have jumped on a NW version.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
....or some kind of mode button LED function to signal low voltage. I read through the posted TN links and did not see anything stating any kind of low voltage warning function....the new 2016 does indeed look much tougher than the 2014 and I like the knurling. Had I not just bought the excellent NW 2014 I would have already just bought the 2016 lol.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never looked at Thrunight site before.
I'm sure this won't be well received but,
are there any TN design that isn't very similar to Fenix or Olight?

bdogps

Enlightened
It kind of reminds me of the Malibu Stacy that comes with a new hat.

Hopefully the reviews can show if it has anything worth while.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Heart kinda sunk when I saw the thread title as I just got a TN12 a couple months ago, but after seeing no upgrades worth it IMO I'm relieved. No upgrade in emitter? And nothing between 370 and 1050 lumens? No thanks.

Probably not a way to enter moonlight or turbo from off either on the new version which was a gripe of mine.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, this would have been a great opportunity to upgrade the light with the XPL HI, yet no cigar.

I don't even necessarily like tons of throw in bigger lights always, but that would make sense in a light with a reflector this size. You could get a beam *closer* to XP-G2 profiles from an XM-L2 size emitter.

I do not have a TN light, so I might look at this, but it doesn't seem like a major upgrade if you own the 2014 model.

Also, how did you find this? I can't find it by just going to the site and browsing "new arrivals".

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
If more folks, at least on here, share this view, it might not be a stretch to call this "upgrade" from Thrunite a FAIL, in our view at least.
Nevertheless, some gear reviewers on youtube will probably sell this like it's the next big thing.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't even necessarily like tons of throw in bigger lights always, but that would make sense in a light with a reflector this size. You could get a beam *closer* to XP-G2 profiles from an XM-L2 size emitter.

I do not have a TN light, so I might look at this, but it doesn't seem like a major upgrade if you own the 2014 model.

Also, how did you find this? I can't find it by just going to the site and browsing "new arrivals".

Agreed. It's shown on thrunite.com

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
And this comes after the lukewarm or complete lack of reaction here on CPF to their upgrade of the Lynx.

uofaengr

Enlightened
If more folks, at least on here, share this view, it might not be a stretch to call this "upgrade" from Thrunite a FAIL, in our view at least.
Nevertheless, some gear reviewers on youtube will probably sell this like it's the next big thing.
Most of the ones who are given lights to review, yes, to continue their feed of free lights. Minus Selfbuilt, of course. Great reviewer.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the ones who are given lights to review, yes, to continue their feed of free lights. Minus Selfbuilt, of course. Great reviewer.

That's kind of harsh. I think most people who do a lot of reviews on CPF generally are pretty honest. I think you can look at light reviews in one of two ways... It's beginning to be like other tech where we are seeing yearly and almost obligatory "upgrades" of lights (aka the 2015 "edition") even if it's more of a refresh and not a really big upgrade. Then there are still true big upgrades to an existing light platform where not only new emitters are swapped in, but big changes to things like modes, ergonomics, and optics are also changed.

With how fast LED's have changed the flashlight game it's no wonder flashlight makers are starting to do yearly refreshes of their products. It is a better light almost surely than the last iteration, objectively. So if you want to knock it just because they put out a new edition so fast that's kind of a separate issue in my opinion. They want to sell lights. Minor upgrades to a light is only a "failure" if you are on the consumer end of things and were explicitly expecting more from this edition. I think them calling it an edition kind of points that out too. They aren't claiming it is a truly superior upgrade in every way to the 2014 edition and the price indicates that.

You can review a light with expectations of what you think it should be or you can review it for what it is. I can't help but fall prey to the numbers and editions game where you want the latest thing, but if you are fine with just actually looking at what the light offers then it is a very nice package. Get last year's edition if it's cheaper and offers everything you want. Wait for the true upgrades if that's what you really need.

Note: The 2016 edition is actually 1 dollar cheaper on the TN site right now which is kind of weird? Pre-order introductory price?

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's kind of harsh.

We mean some gear reviewers on Youtube not associated with CPF, those that "review" lights by just regurgitating specs on the box, dunking their lights in a cup of water for seconds to confirm the their waterproofness, not discussing actual regulation, outputs, and runtime, and the like.