Need help picking out a good headlamp, please.

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys...this will be my first headlamp. I want a good one prefer aa or aaa batteries but not a must just that I have lots of lights that takes those. Seems that zebralights are a good brand HL. I want it bult like a tank to be used for indoors and out. Want a light that has a good spill dont want a hot spot. Water proof ...
Thanks alot for any help.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek also has some great options for various battery types. Both Armytek and Zebralight would be my top choices.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know some members don't agree with all the ratings and picks but this might be helpful and a good place to start ....

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Best-Headlamp/Ratings

I use a SF Minimus, not an AA/AAA (it's a single cr123). It's built well, floody, but pricey and isn't stellar in terms of runtimes. Works well for me though, use it for hiking, just know it's not throwy at all. The above site previously had reviewed it but since has updated the article with different lights and deleted the Minimus review. They had it in the middle of the pack with high points for UI and beam profile, low points for runtimes, price, and fuel source (cr123). Good luck.

Last edited:

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
What are some good models. And thanks guys for the info...

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll find tons of fans of the ZL H52 here. I'm one. I would EDC an H52 if I were not EDC'ing the H600 (more capacity but heavier and a weird rechargeable battery).

The ZL AA headlights put out an immense amount of light on high, esp. if you use an Eneloop or good NIMH rechargeable (like the Duracell). You can get them in the Flood version with a frosted lens, or the regular version with a clear lens. For headlamp use, the flood is really good, giving nice even illumination all around you.

If you are going to be doing a lot of work at arms-length (e.g. wiring in crawlspaces) you might also look at the H502 which is an ultra-wide angle light. Great for peripheral vision and lack of hot-spot, but not good for anything over 5-meters away.

I haven't gotten into Armytek yet--those who do seem to think it is a very good competitor to ZL and I believe them. So either brand will set you up with an excellent AA headlight.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know some members don't agree with all the ratings and picks but this might be helpful and a good place to start ....

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Best-Headlamp/Ratings

Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. Like you, I do not agree with many/most of its picks, but there is still a lot to like about the site. I love the way is calls shenanigans on manufacturer's runtime testing.

It seems odd to include the Zebralight H602, but omit the H600 and H600F. It would be nice to see more Li-ion models from other vendors, as well.

Another thing that would probably change the rankings is to adjust the comparison of output levels. Instead of setting each headlamp to high, it would be better to compare them using the output levels that are appropriate for the task being considered. Most users, for instance, will not want to hike with an 18650 headlamp set to high. 500 to 1000 lumens is way too much for night hiking; 50 to 100 is more like it. The reviewer turns them on to 1000 lumens, and then reports—with some disappointment—that runtime is only an hour or two.

It is also surprising that FL 1 impact ratings and waterproof testing were not important to a reviewer who plans to go camping and/or backpacking with his headlamp.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of those 1000 lumen lights are only 1k for about 2 minutes! Then they step down. I would call that more shenanigans. :)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of those 1000 lumen lights are only 1k for about 2 minutes! Then they step down. I would call that more shenanigans. :)

Agreed.

Here is my more thorough assessment:

The problem is one of perception. Somewhat automatically, we think about our flashlights based on their highest output. We only realize how phony that is when we acknowledge the early stepdown most turbo modes require. We would do better to categorize our lights based on the output level they can hold steadily.

Based on its highest output, for instance, my Zebralight SC62w is a "930-lumen" flashlight. But even with its PID temperature control, the SC62w can only hold that level for a few minutes. In tests by CPF member GeoBruin, PID reduced output continuously from the maximum of 930 lumens until it stabilized at 60% of max after only 5 minutes. That's a level that can be maintained steadily. I need to describe my Zebralight, therefore, as being a "560-lumen" flashlight, rather than anything higher.

Once you make that psychological adjustment, there is nothing phony about having a 930-lumen turbo mode available as an option.

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys....come down to 2 models. Either a ZL H52FW or the ZL H502wL2

Is the only difference in them are the 120° and the 90° of the h52fw? Guys thanks for the help!:D

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright guys....come down to 2 models. Either a ZL H52FW or the ZL H502wL2

Is the only difference in them are the 120° and the 90° of the h52fw? Guys thanks for the help!:D

Yes and no. Even the F version of the H52 has more throw than the H502--a lot--and more than you would expect from the difference in beam-angles. The H52F does not have a hot-spot per se, i.e. no sharp line between the focused beam and the spill. But there is still a reflector in there behind the frosted glass, and it is still making a difference. The center of the H52F's beam is noticeably brighter than the periphery, and it has a lot more throw (though of course not as much as from the clear-lens H52). The light from the H52F is *not* evenly distributed over the 90 degree cone, where the light from the H502 *is* evenly distributed over the 120 degree cone.

Like I said, the H502 won't reach out more than 5 meters in front of you, i.e. 15 feet (if you swing that way), and it does its best work within a meter or two of you. It's really great for arm's length work: on an engine, on a breaker panel, that sort of thing. And it provides perfect even illumination over that whole area. If I had to assemble a jigsaw puzzle in a coal-mine, it would be my first choice.

But in my experience, it is very, very limited for anything else. If you want to walk outside on a dark night, you will have to walk slowly because you won't get a good sense of what is 20 or 30 feet ahead of you.

So to my mind, the H502 is a fabulous special-purpose light. But I wouldn't buy it if that's not your purpose. The H52F is a more all-purpose, more of a compromise between flood and throw. I would not get the H502 as your first headlamp; I'd go for the H52F and get the H502 later.

But that's just one person's opinion, of course.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
Yes and no. Even the F version of the H52 has more throw than the H502--a lot--and more than you would expect from the difference in beam-angles. The H52F does not have a hot-spot per se, i.e. no sharp line between the focused beam and the spill. But there is still a reflector in there behind the frosted glass, and it is still making a difference. The center of the H52F's beam is noticeably brighter than the periphery, and it has a lot more throw (though of course not as much as from the clear-lens H52). The light from the H52F is *not* evenly distributed over the 90 degree cone, where the light from the H502 *is* evenly distributed over the 120 degree cone.

Like I said, the H502 won't reach out more than 5 meters in front of you, i.e. 15 feet (if you swing that way), and it does its best work within a meter or two of you. It's really great for arm's length work: on an engine, on a breaker panel, that sort of thing. And it provides perfect even illumination over that whole area. If I had to assemble a jigsaw puzzle in a coal-mine, it would be my first choice.

But in my experience, it is very, very limited for anything else. If you want to walk outside on a dark night, you will have to walk slowly because you won't get a good sense of what is 20 or 30 feet ahead of you.

So to my mind, the H502 is a fabulous special-purpose light. But I wouldn't buy it if that's not your purpose. The H52F is a more all-purpose, more of a compromise between flood and throw. I would not get the H502 as your first headlamp; I'd go for the H52F and get the H502 later.

But that's just one person's opinion, of course.

Ok....thanks for your time. I guess cause of what ya said... ill stick with thd h52fw.

Again...thank you for your time.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give the thread another 24 hours before you pull the trigger.

Someone else will come along and show that I am wrong on every point!

And that's part of why this forum is a great place to learn stuff: you get to hear a wide range of informed opinions.

Tooly

Newly Enlightened

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
Give the thread another 24 hours before you pull the trigger.

Someone else will come along and show that I am wrong on every point!

And that's part of why this forum is a great place to learn stuff: you get to hear a wide range of informed opinions.
Ok...I do like the wider beam...but I do what to see out alittle more then 15 feet. And whats the best light type, neutral white or cool white?

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you seen these beam shots Stefano made? They are for Zebralight's 18650 headlamps, but the comparison may still be useful.

Another comparison I like is this one by virtuovice. It gives you a good feel for what the mule is like.

Those GIF's that Stefano made--those are perfect, and tell the whole story. Those say everything I was trying to say up above, and they show the evidence. When he switches to the H602, everything in the distance just goes dark. (And the H602 vs. H600 difference is basically the same as the H502 vs. H52 difference).

I should have seen those pics first, and then I would have skipped all that writing, and just said, "Look at Stefano's GIFs!"