Microtech Mini SOCOM Elite MA

FNG

Enlightened

TOB9595

Enlightened
Hi FNG, Nice score.
I've never handled one of these and always had a yen to.
Any blade play?
How do the inserts feel in the alum handles. can you feel the material difference when they're in the grip? I mean can you feel the ridges of the insert edge?

A real tactical lookin knife.
Tom

FNG

Enlightened
No blade play as of yet, only had it for a few days so i cant really say anything.

The inserts are rough and definately noticeable. But if youre asking if the inserts stick out of the handle, no it doesnt. Its flat with the handle or maybe just a tiny bit recessed.

It looks tactical but thumbstud placement is really in an akward position for me to flip out the blade really fast (like spydie delica). Itll take some getting used to.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
A very nice knife indeed. I just got one yesterday except mine is an auto with OD green handle and blade. Zero blade play after at least 100 pushes of the button. The inserts are very rough. The material feels the same as skateboard grip tape.

FNG, how stiff is the aluminum framelock? I've never seen one that wasn't Ti or steel. I was thinking of getting a manual one also. There is a Website that has some in urban camo finish with the claw logo on the blade that looks very cool.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i've been wanting an autosocom for some time now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

looks and sounds like a very nice knife!

FNG

Enlightened
Yep, the material is grip tape. They couldve gone with something better quality but who knows.

I havent tried any other frame locks but I would say this is pretty stiff. Is that a good thing?

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Yes, frame locks usually are stiffer than liner locks. The grip tape doesn't look or feel too bad, though extended use would probably be uncomfortable. It is possible to replace the inserts with another material such as ray skin, carbon fiber, G10, abalone, etc. if you wish. Here are some examples:
web page

I just some a photo on that forum of a mini elite with carbon fiber inserts, but now I can't find it.

FNG

Enlightened
Yeah, ive known about people replacing the grip tape but im not interested in spending as much or more than the knife is worth just to change out the inserts. Thanks for the links but the second shows up blank for me.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I wouldn't spend that much either to change them. The originals actually don't look bad. Real grip tape is dull, but this stuff has a glossy look to it.

M

MeridianTactical

Did someone say Microtech?

These are great knives! I use to carry a BM AFCK, but switched to a MT Mini Socom for carry a few years ago, and I still carry it. No reason to switch

The only other knife I would carry would be a Sebenza.

I have a few avalable in some cool configurations and I can get a lot of different ones. I can get the Manual Socom Elite with the Desert Tan camo as well as having the Auto's in stock.

The Grip tape it like 80 Grit Sandpaper, it's definatly non slip!