Confused about color temperatures

qmtu

Enlightened
Hi all,

Please excuse my question if it is redundant, and direct me to info if you could.
Being new to flashlights, I have seen different LED names mentioned: XM-L, XM-L2, XP-G2, HI CRI, probably a few more.
I've seen that a lot of the XM-L2 bulbs have cool white colors (>6000K), but then I've seen some with neutral white colors (4500K-5000K)
I've seen XP-G2 bulbs mentioned as being in the neutral white range, but also some being in the warm white range (2700K-3000K)
The Hi CRI bulbs I usually see associated with warm range.

Is there a standard range for each type of light bulbs, or does each type come in all ranges, and are there standard ranges among different brands of flashlights?
I am thinking I want a Spy 007, and I prefer a neutral white color (4500K-5600K) and not much more bluish than that. Am I needing the XM-L2 or the XP-G2 version?

Thank you for the responses, and ducking the flames.
qmtu

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
No prob, cousin. "Search engine" for "led data sheet" and the name of the emitter family you're researching. They are organized in "bins." Check back with questions.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also consider if you want more of a flood or throw from your choice of led. Of course, if you are planning on a Spy 007, just tell Dave what you are wanting. He can offer some excellent suggestions to meet your needs.

qmtu

Enlightened
Str8stroke, I want it all! Flood, throw, neutral white temperature, new cap.
Hoping I can get a neutral white color in XM-L2 so I can get the 3300 mA.
I would go more for throw, since at that brightness the flood would be pretty substantial too I imagine.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XM-L2 is wicked. It is not a tight beam, and throws surprisingly well. Mine lights up further than i can see in detail.
My "base line" at home is a portable building across a soccer pitch. I can light it up from across a road, then a bit of a path, the soccer pitch, then the building.