Help me choose - Jetbeam PA40 vs Nitcore EA4

DutyLight

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

You know how it starts. Your looking for replacement batteries and you see a light. Hmm, lets look at this, lets look at that. Oh this is on sale. Click click click you have 20 tabs open. AA lights, 18650 lights, 16340, 14500..... now your in for it lol.

I have a Klarus xt11 xmL2. Have a retired xt10 that sits around. Had the older xt11 till it flew out of my maxpedition holster on a run. Carry the nitecore ea1 with a 14500 battery as a backup (clip removed). That thing is a beast! Turns heads when they see a little thing bright up the night.

I started looking for a vehicle light. Jetbeam BC40 reeled me in. Then I was redirected to the PA40 due to its ability to use the readily available AA batteries. Important for a backup light as the Klarus is my primary that gets a fresh battery each evening.
From the PA40 I was pointed to the EA4.

So, EA4 or PA40. Short and stout or long and trim? The onky thing about the PA40 that bothers me is that goinggear states in the description that a case isn't included. Big nono. I dont have room in my pockets for lights when im out and about.

ea4 downside: not a tail clicky.
Ea4 pro: beam.

Help me decide please. Flash-o-holics united.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the PA40, and don't know the EA4. I'm surprised someone is still selling the PA40 - it's old and I thought, long obsolete. It's only an XML LED about 450 lumens max. Today's XM-L2s seem to go 1k lumens. Otherwise, it's a perfectly good light. It's a little too easy to change brightness by hitting the button in back. Tints can be poor (I changed mine to a warm XML, but it was NOT easy). I would guess that replacement battery carriers are hard to come by if it breaks. It seemed popular when introduced, but you don't hear much about it anymore. Whatever you choose, I would not leave alkalines in it - Eneloops only.

ven

Flashaholic
Dont forget the thrunite tn4a,choices of cool and neutral white.......might be worth a look:)

The nitecore ea41 is the newer version with improved buttons!