How to diagnose a firing problem

trimixdiver

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys I have this light head that decided not to fire up anymore , I know its not the battery it has voltage , I'm thinking it's in the head some where but not sure how to diagnose the problem...
This is the head... got it a few years ago from 350xfire .
(it's a Mag-lite)

Both the head and bottom where the wire goes in is very tight think 350xfire clued or silicon.

Any Help Tony.

Last edited:

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
Can you open the head?
Has it overheated? if yes probably the driver is blown

If you are lucky it`s just a conection wich separated.
Cheers

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
If the battery pack is giving you correct voltage, you can exclude.

Then it might be the toglle or cable conections to the head.( to test you will have to open the head! and measure if there is voltage on the battery leads) (can check this where the cables are soldered to the driver.)
if there is correct voltage you know it is a driver/led problem,

if this is the case you can try to get to the soldered wire on the led board, and there check.
If there is correct voltage the led is the problem, and if there is no voltage or incorrect the problem source is the driver.

you won`t come around without opening the head
I hope that helped

arek98

Enlightened
I would take a look at canister itself first, maybe it is a problem with battery connector. Maybe connector separated from cable to head, tired of often connecting and disconnecting battery for charging.

if you put voltage direct on cable contacts (-direct cable, +on output connector of switch ) lamp did not fire ?

- avoid battery pack with some other voltage source ( for instance avto accumulator 12V ( if driver is ok it will limit current and tension )

-otherwise you have to open (unscrew bottom screw ( head of maglite - as I remember they glued head with JB weld to the body? ) hm ...step by step

Last edited:

trimixdiver

Newly Enlightened
if you put voltage direct on cable contacts (-direct cable, +on output connector of switch ) lamp did not fire ?

- avoid battery pack with some other voltage source ( for instance avto accumulator 12V ( if driver is ok it will limit current and tension )

-otherwise you have to open (unscrew bottom screw ( head of maglite - as I remember they glued head with JB weld to the body? ) hm ...step by step

Not sure what you mean,by battery pack source ...
At the top of maglight looks like the led is burned....

OK I
managed to take the end of the mag-light to expose of the wiring inside head all the wire seams to be connected is there a way to check the driver inside?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ib1lhc4c0qnq8rq/FullSizeRender.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2sa8rsb6oay4bf/FullSizeRender (1).jpg?dl=0

Tony

Last edited:
OK I
managed to take the end of the mag-light to expose of the wiring inside head all the wire seams to be connected is there a way to check the driver inside?

no , you have reach driver output wires , that mean you reach also LED.

Not sure what you mean,by battery pack source ...

I do my own repairs with laboratory power supply to be sure on source power capacity ( battery packs have some electronics that could impede supply )

trimixdiver

Newly Enlightened
no , you have reach driver output wires , that mean you reach also LED.

I do my own repairs with laboratory power supply to be sure on source power capacity ( battery packs have some electronics that could impede supply )

So there is nothing I could do to check?

Im not sure I follow you..are you saying that there could be something wrong with battery pack?
It has plenty of voltage!

Tony

Last edited:
from start to end (order of easier access ) you have to eliminate all possible problems

- battery
- connectors
- switch
- cable
- cable connection to the driver
- driver & led (swap )
- led

if you are 100% sure on burned LED , then go direct on led and swap it

josb

Newly Enlightened
Why not contacting the builder (350xfire) directly with this question?

Second, a battery pack that has voltage does not need to have capacity maybe there is a bad cell in the package. Have you tried to connect the voltmeter on the battery contacts while turning the lamp on, does the voltage stay high or does it drop down. if it stays high the pcket could be OK, if the voltage drops you have a bad package.
Just some more thing to check/

trimixdiver

Newly Enlightened
from start to end (order of easier access ) you have to eliminate all possible problems

- battery
- connectors
- switch
- cable
- cable connection to the driver
- driver & led (swap )
- led

if you are 100% sure on burned LED , then go direct on led and swap it

I have eliminated all the above 100% sure ...just not on the Led , but as I mention earlier the led does look black, this is what I like to check if possible.

I thinking I mneed a way to remove the led ...so to see what it looks like and to see if I can replace it.

trimixdiver

Newly Enlightened
Why not contacting the builder (350xfire) directly with this question?

Second, a battery pack that has voltage does not need to have capacity maybe there is a bad cell in the package. Have you tried to connect the voltmeter on the battery contacts while turning the lamp on, does the voltage stay high or does it drop down. if it stays high the pcket could be OK, if the voltage drops you have a bad package.
Just some more thing to check

I have tried to contact the builder (350xfire)here and direct email
haven't heard a peep from him, is here still around?
As for the battery , there is nothing wrong with it it show voltage even with volt meter,I have had it working on my mates light works great .

trimixdiver

Newly Enlightened
Guys need Help!
I managed to pull the hole head apart looks like its in 2 parts :
reflector with led and 2 small circuit board wired together , I managed to pull 2 wires that are on the reflector not sure where on the circuit board they go, thinking the led on reflector is blown showing it's black in center of reflector also tried to connect it up to battery showing no voltage, you can see in pics how it looks like.
I think I found the same one on DX.com
http://www.dx.com/p/cree-xml-t6-5-m...le-with-textured-reflector-58481#.VfFpNbU0P6l
Here are the other pics, can somebody help me check that the light is right before ordering and know how to wire it up...
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/wmxefah9kh0pg1e/AABXUj-7gv20vtd_xRN2oTa3a
Thanks Guys

Last edited:

clawnfish

Newly Enlightened
Your photos are completely out of focus. I don't think anyone can comment on those photos . Try to take new photos with the circuit and cables in focus.

trimixdiver

Newly Enlightened
Looks like LED is burnt out.n Hard to tell.

The question is why?
2 reasons spring to mind.
Faulty driver and bad heatsinking

No point replacing the LED if you cant fix the root cause.

Hi bud not sure why it burned out ( looks like it), see what you can make of it with new pics...
Shouldn't be Faulty driver and bad heat-sink been working fine for over 4 yrs...
Tony

Last edited: