Why a Flashaholic??

Flashy808

Enlightened
Hi CPF :wave:,

The day I decided that flashlights we're going to be my thing I wondered why should I be a flashaholic? Why not a motor enthusiast? or a Book Worm? What made flashlights out-shine the rest? What made you want to be a flashaholic? & What do you say when people ask "Isn't a flashlight just a flashlight?!":shrug::tired: (Instead of tearing up of course)... And most importantly what drives you to pay thousands of dollars for a 007 or a pocket monster?

Please Share your Magic of Inspiration for this Wonderful Passion. :grin2:
Thanks

Last edited:

grndslm

Newly Enlightened
A wise man once said, "Without tools, we'd all be monkeys."

So I guess that there are different types of tools for different types of humans.

But that doesn't mean that one human is limited to only one type of tool. What about smartphones, motorized bicycles, old-school double-edge razors, law discussion (how to defend yourself in court; the things attorneys will NEVER tell you, even after you pay them a retention fee), martial arts, how to make your own beer, firearms, electric vehicles (especially personal EVs like the Hovertrax and its Chinese rip-offs), kayaks (especially Hobie kayaks that allow you to sail and pedal at the same time), pop-up tents, camping, backpacks, push bicycles, women, good movies, good TV shows, good food, modding technology to do exactly what you want, etc...

There are a lot of things in this time to be excited about!! Flashlights are just ONE OF those things. :D

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
My flasaholizum was inspired by my love of electronics and my love of shiny things! What's shinier & electronic than a flashlight???
I ended up here cause I wanted to know what that light was in that I'd seen in many films and t.v. shows (maxabeam) and I've been addicted since.
Lights are legal, versatile, impressive, diverse and typically fun to mod.
So many variations to play with.
I've yet to get bored with them.... Only broke! Lol

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
"And most importantly what drives you to pay thousands of dollars for a 007 or a pocket monster?" There, fixed it. :)

With flashlights, I harken back to my child hood. They were my friend, my tool, my security blanket. I probably slept with one every night. Most would think if you were a kid and always had a flashlight you must be scared of the dark. Ironically as a child, my flashlight allowed me to pierce the darkness with a ringy Xenon beam filled with artifacts. With this tool, I knew there wasn't really a boogie man to be afraid of. So fond memories is likely why I still love lights.

Flashy808

Enlightened
"And most importantly what drives you to pay thousands of dollars for a 007 or a pocket monster?" There, fixed it. :)

With flashlights, I harken back to my child hood. They were my friend, my tool, my security blanket. I probably slept with one every night. Most would think if you were a kid and always had a flashlight you must be scared of the dark. Ironically as a child, my flashlight allowed me to pierce the darkness with a ringy Xenon beam filled with artifacts. With this tool, I knew there wasn't really a boogie man to be afraid of. So fond memories is likely why I still love lights.

Never knew it costed THAT much gee wheez but I guess that's why the price was barely shown :). I yes I have that thing too going to sleep with a flashlight gives me a sense of security.

Because I like to see where I'm going when it's dark. There's different types of dark, so you need different types of lights.
& well said well said

Amelia

Enlightened
I'm not really a "flashaholic" - just a night hiking and camping enthusiast who recognizes that flashlights are an essential ingredient for both activities. Yeah - I have a lot of lights, but it's not for the SAKE of the lights, it's for the sake of what they do for me - where they allow me to go and what they allow me to see once the sun has gone down.

If I didn't night hike and go camping frequently, I doubt I'd really be all that interested in flashlights. I'd probably just pick one or two good ones for around the house and car, and be done with it... :)

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really a "flashaholic" - just a night hiking and camping enthusiast who recognizes that flashlights are an essential ingredient for both activities. Yeah - I have a lot of lights, but it's not for the SAKE of the lights, it's for the sake of what they do for me - where they allow me to go and what they allow me to see once the sun has gone down.

If I didn't night hike and go camping frequently, I doubt I'd really be all that interested in flashlights. I'd probably just pick one or two good ones for around the house and car, and be done with it... :)

You don't edc on now??? For some reason, that surprises me.

Amelia

Enlightened
You don't edc on now??? For some reason, that surprises me.

Yes, I keep a keychain light and a EDC bag/pocket light with me. I don't use them all that much though... mostly I use my hiking headlamp and handheld thrower after dark! :)

akhyar

Enlightened
Coz the other hobbies that I've indulged with, i.e. Photography, hi-fi, head-fi, mechanical watches, cars are too expensive to maintain.
Playing with flashlight and batteries keep me content

Lexus

Enlightened
And what could be cooler than light coming out of your fingertips?

Same for me. It's some kind of magic.

I believe that fear of dark is genetically coded in everyone of us to some degree. When we have a tool to fight darkness - a flashlight - it is only natural that we are are interested in such a tool.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
1. To be prepared for emergencies.

2. It pleases my inner geek.

3. To impress and amaze others.

4. To blind evil-doers, and send them scurrying away like cockroaches in the light.

5. Because I can't see in the dark.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... interesting. They fascinate me, but maybe I got into them because it kind of is the opposite of photography which I'm also into. One puts out light and the other collects light. Both are magic to me.