TigerLight vs. coyotes

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other night as my wife and I were starting to retire for the evening, we heard these unearthly, ungodly, howling, yowling, barking sounds. I opened a window and my wife and I looked out across the road and into the deep dark fields and saw half a dozen dog-like figures: coyotes, of course. We're talking over a thousand feet here, easy. A job for the TigerLight, I thought, and ran downstairs and grabbed it. When I got back to the window and turned it on, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the TL actually could reach that far and light them up. Mostly what showed were the glowing eyes, but also I could see their bodies. They stopped whatever it was they were doing, stoped making noise, and then ran for it! The TL scared them off, even from a significant part of a mile away. Awesome. My wife, who is usually highly sceptical about the value of my handful of (to her mind) expensive flashlights, was duly impressed. She even told her friends about it later.

I easily followed several of them as they ran along the edge of the woods, and after they had all left I lit up a few cows just for fun before closing the window.

And another story . . .

Before this happened I was out getting the mail when the german shepherd that my landlord owns came up to bother me. Well, he thinks it's play and not a bother. He probably means well, but I get tired of getting jumped on or having my mittens stolen. So I turned the TL full in his face. He kept on for a bit but stopped short and then decided he didn't want to play blind and turned and left. Ah, it's so nice to have a seriously bright incan, I thought. I also wasn't sure whether or not the bright light would stop him because I have read in another thread that bright lights DO NOT stop dogs, but in this case it did. Thanks TigerLight for a little bit of light in this dark time.

[EDIT] edited for proper units, feet not yards! oops. Whatever, it was FAR.

Harrkev

Enlightened
I suspect that if the dog was seriously annoyed (instead of just playful), that he might not have stopped. But I am sure that it would mess with his night-vision if he did intend harm.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
the Tigerlight threw a beam 1,000 yards!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! That's funny! I was editing my post to change yards to feet as you were posting this question. No. I meant 1000 feet. On the order of three football fields, or significantly father than the diameter of the accelerator where I work: we have a cross tunnel that is 250 meters long or so, and it was on that order. But whatever, distance is hard to judge. I could go pace it and find out. I suspect it would take me 15 minutes to walk out that far. Anyway . . . sorry for the error.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
the Tigerlight threw a beam 1,000 yards!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! That's funny! I was editing my post to change yards to feet as you were posting this question. No. I meant 1000 feet. On the order of three football fields, or significantly father than the diameter of the accelerator where I work: we have a cross tunnel that is 250 meters long or so, and it was on that order. But whatever, distance is hard to judge. I could go pace it and find out. I suspect it would take me 15 minutes to walk out that far. Anyway . . . sorry for the error.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are great for measuring distance. I borrowed a friend's "Yardage Pro" - it's remarkably small and light, a great gadget.

BUSHNELL RANGEFINDERS

It was one of these:

200001.jpg

Brightnorm

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jim,

Great story. TigerLights rule the night!

A while back I heard a noise on my bedroom deck and had a couple of raccoons climbing up some shrubbery and checking out the deck. I turned on the TigerLight and one of them fell out of the shrub (or jumped).

I wonder if the pepper spray version would also be effective for your german shepard "friend."

Tom

Erik Johnson

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
I wonder if the pepper spray version would also be effective for your german shepard "friend."

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]
Pepper spray would be pretty severe against a dog. I would only use it if the dog is truly attacking.

Erik.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Erik Johnson said:
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]
Pepper spray would be pretty severe against a dog. I would only use it if the dog is truly attacking.

Erik.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking from experience I can say that pepper spray works on an attacking dog, at least it did on this particular one.

Brightnorm

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Hello Jim,

Great story. TigerLights rule the night!

A while back I heard a noise on my bedroom deck and had a couple of raccoons climbing up some shrubbery and checking out the deck. I turned on the TigerLight and one of them fell out of the shrub (or jumped).

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom,

Yeah, actually, the first time I took the TL out for a test walk, I had never seen so much wildlife at night before. So many glowing eyes. The reach I had was truly impressive, plus a nice amount of wide spill light. But what really amazed me was that I accidentally blinded an owl or hawk by shining the TL up at the trees as part of my test. This large bird of prey flew helter skelter into a tree, thrashed about, and then kept flying across the field. I was shocked. I had never done that before, and I felt bad for blasting the poor bird with so many lumens, but even so, it was, as they say, kinda cool . . .

As for the dog, nah, no pepper spray; he's a good dog, he's just not given enough attention, discipline, or training. I have the FBOP 8" version anyway. It's sad when people get these high strung, high energy, intelligent, even neurotic dogs, and don't have the time and energy needed to raise and handle them properly. German shepherds need lots of training and time. Ah, well. Lately he's taken to spreading all of our recycling and garbage across the yard.

oh, and as a p.s. I double checked the distance, and it really was on the order of a 1000 feet.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good "yote" stories.

I recently traded a SF 9P, had the light with me about six months ago, running around our rural property, which is loaded with coyotes. After dark.

I have hunted the things for years, with marginal luck. They are the ultimate survivor, good smeller, good eyesight, and just a great survival instinct.

I've lost more than one cat, and dog to them, so don't feel bad getting after them. The dog they took, and ate, was like a member of my family.

Anyway, ran up on this "yote" at about 30 yards, hit him with the 9P, the yote froze, assumed the subservient position that you have seen on the discovery channel when a "beta" is around an "alpha". Nose, and head down, the yote froze for a good 30 seconds. I could NOT believe it.

Didn't kill him, guess I am getting too old. Enjoyed the encounter.

He'll probably eat my beagle a few nights from now.