ZL SC62 repair or replace or upgrade?

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
my SC62 ran through the washer machine a few days ago. It worked fine the next day but on the following day it gave up the ghost. I love the light but this incident has kinda made me re-evaluate the SC62. Its my EDC and my go-to for work so i need to rely on it. if it gets wet or i jump into a river or something it NEEDS to keep working..... I have only had it for less than a year (forgot where i got it )

Is it worth it to send it in for repairs or just buy a new one or possibly even upgrade to another light all together ???

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
my SC62 ran through the washer machine a few days ago. It worked fine the next day but on the following day it gave up the ghost. I love the light but this incident has kinda made me re-evaluate the SC62. Its my EDC and my go-to for work so i need to rely on it. if it gets wet or i jump into a river or something it NEEDS to keep working..... I have only had it for less than a year (forgot where i got it )

Is it worth it to send it in for repairs or just buy a new one or possibly even upgrade to another light all together ???

I'd send it in to ZL and see what they do. For $5 shipping, it's worth the gamble. I don't know if I'm going to blame ZL for you leaving your light in a washing machine (wash, rinse, spin) and then not letting it air dry for a week, as it might still be working fine.

Anyhow, I have an original SC600cw and I'm eying the SC62w.

Chris

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link........im to impatient for returns, cheap or not. Ive looked around an nothing seems to come close to the ZL62 so looks like ill be ordering a new one tonight. any recomendations on batteries ? ive been using AW and have a few Keepower but they dont fit.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally use unprotected 18650's because my lights, ZL included have built-in protection & I can fit the highest capacity high quality panasonic cells with no issues.

uofaengr

Enlightened
The 62w is a light I'd definitely replace as I think there's nothing else out there that offers all that it does. I use Keeppower 3400mah protected and they work great.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just picked up a used one from another member since I had one but sold it. Haven't seen anything better yet. There was some talk about an SC63, but that could be a long, long wait!

uofaengr

Enlightened
I just picked up a used one from another member since I had one but sold it. Haven't seen anything better yet. There was some talk about an SC63, but that could be a long, long wait!
I debated on waiting for the SC63, but I didn't really see how the light could be majorly improved upon. Any increase in size and it'd kill this light for me.

markr6

Flashaholic
I debated on waiting for the SC63, but I didn't really see how the light could be majorly improved upon. Any increase in size and it'd kill this light for me.

ZL said it was planned for this year, but since it's not even on their model spreadsheet, I'm not waiting. If they get rid of the ribs and go with the SC600/SC5 look, that alone would pull me in! I never liked the ribbed look much, but I don't hate it either. Other than that, maybe a slight increase in output but I wouldn't expect much at all. And maybe 2xCR123 ability, but I don't care much about that either. Just guesses, I don't have any inside info.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I would love 2 x CR123A IF the current is held to a level not demanding more than 1 amp from each battery.

Stream

Enlightened
I personally use unprotected 18650's because my lights, ZL included have built-in protection & I can fit the highest capacity high quality panasonic cells with no issues.

I wouldn't recommend unprotected cells. They can be extremely dangerous for someone who is not knowledgeable enough.

Stream

Enlightened
I also own a SC62, and I agree with everyone else here who say it's hard to beat. It's the smallest 18650 light that I know of, and the versatility of the UI is just awesome. It's the only light I use every day. As for getting it wet, I wouldn't worry; I have washed it under running water before without any problems. However, exposing it to a full wash cycle in a washing machine is something completely different! As was already mentioned, you probably should have let it air dry for a week to be safe.

ive been using AW and have a few Keepower but they dont fit.

I don't see any reason to switch from AW. They are excellent batteries, and they are all I ever use. Only upgrade I would consider is if you are not already using the 3400mAh versions.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't recommend unprotected cells. They can be extremely dangerous for someone who is not knowledgeable enough.
I didn't think you could get many high capacity panny that are not protected, unless poster means they are using LCR unprotected and that is crazy advice.

Edit, I guess unprotected, wow.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think you could get many high capacity panny that are not protected, unless poster means they are using LCR unprotected and that is crazy advice.

Edit, I guess unprotected, wow.

Single cell isn't that dangerous, especially considering that Zebralight has built-in protection circuitry. Using a protected battery is mostly redundant, and adds to the length and width. It's charging that you have to watch, using unprotected cells.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're correct, thank you.

I was thinking of loading a icr down and being crazy, but I guess I was clearly thinking dumb.

Stream

Enlightened
Single cell isn't that dangerous, especially considering that Zebralight has built-in protection circuitry. Using a protected battery is mostly redundant, and adds to the length and width. It's charging that you have to watch, using unprotected cells.

Hence, I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. You have to know what you're doing, or things could go very wrong.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hence, I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone. You have to know what you're doing, or things could go very wrong.

Well, okay, but only if your charger is broken and is charging it too high. It's good to check, though probably extremely rare unless you're using *fire junk.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, okay, but only if your charger is broken and is charging it too high. It's good to check, though probably extremely rare unless you're using *fire junk.
I had a Nitecore i4 lose its mind and decide to not terminate charge on bay 3. It can happen.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why I said I personally use non protect cells in single cell applications that are low drain.

It's an alternative voice to the "YOU WILL DIE" or are a fool if you use unprotected cells. I'm aware it's not for everyone & shouldn't be.

However if you use a quality cell in a quality flashlight & charge with a quality charger & practice safe charging it's a non-issue IMO except for an extraordinary situation.

"The fear of dying keeps most from living" is one of my mantra's.

Also keep in mind a 2900-3400 mAh cell that is only seeing .01-1.5A draw is not under much if any discharge stress.

I also don't charge above 1A so far less than the max allowed charge rate as well. I often times will pull the cell at 4.1V to extend cell life since there's so much capacity these days. When I started 2200mAh was the max so....

Stream

Enlightened
I just think a word of caution to newbies about unprotected cells could be a good idea. A clueless person will likely go out and buy the first ChinaFire 18650 and charger combo they can find. And even with a quality cell and charger, I would advice that they keep their eye on voltage levels, and never leave the charger unattended.