Pressure vent on sealed light

WarthogARJ

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I've just bought a new light from Trustfire that's got six Cree XML-T6 in it. And four 18650 batteries.
It's a VERY robust aluminium case, with an almost completely sealed battery case.

I have some concern over a pressure release by the batteries in this strong aluminium case: it's like pipe bomb then.

It would be easy to add a relief vent: drill a hole and plug with wax, or perhaps some thermomould plastic.
Would still be waterproof.

I searched the forums, and a few people raised the same question in 2008 and 2013.
I'm not sure if there's been any information more recently?

I understand that if you use good quality protected batteries then the risk of explosion is low, however an explosion in this specific design would be VERY exciting. It cannot blow out the front bulb/glass, or the rear. It's really very well sealed.

Depending on the speed of gas release, you might need quite a big hole to be effective. But any hole that starts to vent before rupture is better than nothing.

Thanks,
Alan

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it has Trustfire batteries included, it's going to end up on fire.
Buy good cells, and charger, charge outside of light.
Pros will answer quickly too, just my thought on it.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree. ***Fire batteries (with the single exception of good quality SureFire batteries bought directly from SureFire) are all trash and using just one of them is asking for trouble, but using several of them in series will be very dangerous. It's definitely worth buying some better quality batteries to go with that light.

As for the pressure vent, you are right to be a little concerned. Pretty much no lights have a pressure valve though. From what I have seen if a battery does vent inside a light, it tends to blow out the front reflector/window and vent through there, if it has no other path to vent through.

Last edited: