Is the TM16 worth selling my Eagletac SX25L2 Turbo for?

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a new high output light such as the tm16, k60, etc but I'm trying to decide whether they would be that big of an upgrade over my Eagletac SX25L2 Turbo. I have studied the specs, crunched the numbers, read reviews, and watched videos of the TM16 and I want to get one but I'm having a hard time convincing myself it's worth upgrading too. I know in Selfbuilt's review of the K60 he compared it to the TM16 and k40m and the tm16 made the k40m look weak so I can only imagine what it would make my Eagletac look like. Maybe I already know the real answer and just need some push from you guys to help me sell my Eagletac and get the tm16.

Thanks,
Tac

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have studied the specs, crunched the numbers, read reviews, and watched videos of the TM16 and I want to get one but I'm having a hard time convincing myself it's worth upgrading too.

---snip---

Maybe I already know the real answer and just need some push from you guys to help me sell my Eagletac and get the tm16.

Thanks,
Tac

What's to push? There's the TM16 and then there's everything else that wishes it was a TM16. The specs of the Eagletac SX25L are lower than the TM16 and if smaller numbers make you happy, then you will be happy. See how easy that was?

The TM16 is larger and in your decision, this should be taken into consideration.

Not counting older lights, I have a TM16 and a couple other lights as I wait for the EC4S to be released. I find the TM16 to be floody as opposed to being a thrower but it floods out so far, I'm not worried about needing a thrower.

Now, to the question, it's your call what you want to be caught with.

I hope the above helps.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also,

It depends on how much throw you want, and how much of a larger reflector you are willing to accept to get that throw.

For example, I have a SX25L3 with a not very large diameter reflector. The TM16 is on my "want radar", but the reflector is a very large diameter. Do I need the extra throw? Do I need the larger reflector?

Another factor is how many lights I want in my collection to fill the voids in the size/power/throw continuum. If I have to have a certain light, and I need to have a small collection, then I need to sell another light to make room for the new arrival. Or, I can grow a larger collection, and have more granular coverage in the size/power/throw continuum.

In your particular case, I think you would be very happy with the TM16, but you need to make room for it, so go ahead and sell the item(s) that are not needed as much. :)

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the size does make me hesitate as well but just about any light in this power range is going to be 4x 18650s and overall large but that has to be to manage heat and I realize that.

I don't like low numbers so I guess I'm just going to have to step up and for once be on the current trend instead of waiting and falling behind the curve lol

I want lots of throw as well as good flood and this light seems just right for both. I have my collection listed in my signature so you can tell what I output and beam profiles I have. I'm also looking at getting the m2x-ut for laser like throw.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lots of lights but not what I would consider a collection. The TM16 is big but not "that" big. Maybe medium big. Definitely not an EDC but it definitely qualifies as a search and rescue light or a light that will light up a section of a large yard. Whatever direction it's being pointed, will be lit.

Myself? I have more than four lights but I'm perfectly happy with the four lights I write about.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TM16, and yes, it is bigger. It is about half again as large as my TM11 (which I will be selling). I did find a holster for it, so we will see how that works. I haven't been able to get a clear dry night yet to go out to my test range and really check out the throw, but it does throw a lot. It feels really great and balanced in my hand, and I think Nitecore finally got the UI right. I really like the EA41 UI but miss the voltage meter. Now they have added that back so my life is complete.

The neighbor next door is a sheriff's deputy, so I need to catch him at home some night so we can compare my TM16 with the spot on his car. Should be interesting.

As far as price goes, watch for sales. I got mine for $125 USD at GearBest. Andrew & Amanda have it on sale once in a while, as do others. If you can wait that long, there should be some really good prices around Black Friday. There were last year when I got my EA8 (also leaving - the TM16 is replacing both functions).

ven

Flashaholic
I just simply think.........." do i use it much?" "will i miss it when its gone?" "will i enjoy the new light more and get the same or more use?"

Simples:crazy:

:laughing:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just simply think.........." do i use it much?" "will i miss it when its gone?" "will i enjoy the new light more and get the same or more use?"

Simples:crazy:

:laughing:

very insightful way to look at it. I'm putting that philosophy to use right now. I've got so many lights that I don't use and now I've found a way to part with them

ven

Flashaholic
very insightful way to look at it. I'm putting that philosophy to use right now. I've got so many lights that I don't use and now I've found a way to part with them

Trouble is ,whats new today can be old hat in a few months,new leds with more tint options/de-domed . So many UI options,its hard not to find a suitable light these days for pretty much most applications. Always good to have back ups and spares for that time of need..........I have too many and struggle parting with most of them. However i have whittled down a few over the last year but find most are replaced again :laughing:

I can say there are only a hand full of lights i have had my monies worth,ones i sell i almost get my money back or some i just give away. My problem is,most new lights coming out i want :laughing: but luckily i am a little more disciplined or fussy in what i buy.

The only way is to avoid CPF :laughing: so not to keep up with these new latest and greatest lights(for me its not going to happen) but the only way i would stop buying new ones. I do enjoy lights in many ways,be it work or fun/camping. So i guess i am stuffed :laughing:

:thumbsup:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I got my Tk41 my Sx25l2t hasn't been used except with the diffuser lens for a flood light but since I got my xhp50 drop in that has taken over flood duty. The sx25l2t now just hangs by the door and gets used very rarely. I don't really use any of my lights besides my solarforce l2 and d25a2. The rest just sit so that's why I'm having a hard time justifying the tm16, I primarily use smaller lights and really only want this light just to have something that bright. Ugh the classic want vs need debate!

ven

Flashaholic
Life's too short,just do it...........worse case scenario just sell it on if it does not live up to your expectations or again gets left to one side.

:D

You never know..............it might make you use it more and venture to open areas exploring or just for fun/wow factor!

Would have a look at similar lights in that category, if there is a specific tint preference then i would get vinh to custom it to your wants/needs :)

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys have given me the push, going to list the SX25L2T in the mall. I was playing with my TK41 last night, which has pretty much the exact same beam as the SX25L2T, and when compared to my XHP50 drop in it was just sad lol, the xhp50 owned it so it's definitely time for an upgrade. Probably just going to have the tm16 shipped to Vinh first and have him swap the leds to 4k tint, love that tint in my xhp50.

akhyar

Enlightened
If you have an account at the "budget" forum, you can ask for a discount code that I think is cheaper than the GB deal for TM16

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't have much need for the TM16, but it's just an amazing light. When first opened the box, I realized it was a lot smaller and ligher than I expected. Nice UI. Just feel "right" in your hand with the side switches. I love the beam - throwy with nice useable spill.

MX25L3C Nichia
MX25L3C.jpg

TM16vn
TM16.jpg

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TM11 I bought right after they came out, because at the time it was about the best lower cost light for throwing a light of light a long ways. I bought an EA8 last fall because it was a low cost thrower that would throw further than the TM11, but without as much flood. Now I am selling both, since my TM16 throws further than the EA8, but with the extra spill of the TM11. And it cost less than half of what the other two lights cost together. Time, and innovation, march on.