Feit vintage bulbs at Lowes

Qship1996

Enlightened
Been running the incandescent version of those in 2 ceiling fans for about a year,excellent vintage appearance especially when dimmed so it shows off the soft glow of the filament wires.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some cheapos LED vintage look bulbs from eBay. Shipped from China on the super slow paddle boat. I must admit, they are pretty awesome. So far they haven't given me any problems. I think I paid about $9 for each.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have several of these types of bulbs. I love the vintage look but the gold tint on some of the bulbs is annoying - it makes them way too yellow for my taste.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Incan or led?

I have a couple of Feit LED bulbs and a few of the incandescent ones Fashion Lighting (Loew's) incandescent ones with the tinted glass. I'm wondering if the tint is on the outside and is perhaps chemically removable.

Oh and an observation, the Fashion bulbs from Lowes smell like burnt gunpowder. :thinking: I don't know if it's something in the cardboard box, the bulb coating or maybe even an air sample from the manufacturing plant, but it's quite noticeable.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Feit LED bulbs and a few of the incandescent ones Fashion Lighting (Loew's) incandescent ones with the tinted glass. I'm wondering if the tint is on the outside and is perhaps chemically removable.

Oh and an observation, the Fashion bulbs from Lowes smell like burnt gunpowder. :thinking: I don't know if it's something in the cardboard box, the bulb coating or maybe even an air sample from the manufacturing plant, but it's quite noticeable.

Couldn't you just hang on the Christmas tree, instead of using nail polish remover to get yellow off?

Also, didn't they outlaw sub 30lpw? These incans are 15lpw. It's the eighties, so where are all the 40lpw incans we were promised as kids? Or, are these not lights at all, but rather winter heaters that are 96 percent efficient?

I also assume no usa patent infringement by using a noble gas to heatsink. And, what of the pf of these Feit? Is the pf corrected by the yellow tint?

Last edited:

CoveAxe

Enlightened
Also, didn't they outlaw sub 30lpw?

The ban (or rather, the approval requirement) only covers general purpose light bulbs. Specialty bulbs are not affected at all. So anything incandescent but not A19 is still legal to sell. That's unlikely to change anytime soon.

I also assume no usa patent infringement by using a noble gas to heatsink.

Pretty sure those patents expired long long ago. That's a very old idea.

And, what of the pf of these Feit? Is the pf corrected by the yellow tint?

The tint of the light/glass has nothing to do with pf. I wouldn't even bother worrying about pf for a 4W bulb. Any heating loss from even a bad pf is going to be totally insignificant.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't want to sound anti incan. I assume everyone here knows of the 114 year old constantly burning incan. It seems early incans were made of much thicker wire. They were lasting too long, so the makers held a conference and agreed to make them last much shorter (source: npr podcast) . I was raised in era of 1100 hours. This had me constantly changing bulbs; Took up half my youth! Cfls have been more my speed. Plan to fully switch to led, only when 4 watts does closer to 600 lumens, and I feel better about led heat sinking and controller life. And, 10k hours is up on all my remaining cfls. (The led filament gas scheme to remove heat to the clear glass envelope -where the consumer can feel-, together with over 200 lpw strips, would go far to assuage heat fears.)

http://www.centennialbulb.org

So, don't worry about the smell. You won't notice it 100 years from now.

Last edited:

CoveAxe

Enlightened
They were lasting too long, so the makers held a conference and agreed to make them last much shorter (source: npr podcast)

This is true, but what NPR and everyone who brings this up as proof of "planned obsolescence" ignore is that the old thicker wire bulbs also had terrible efficiency. The shorter lifetime is a design consequence of having a brighter bulb for the same amount of power. For general purpose applications, this is a perfectly fine compromise.

You could (and still can) buy 10k+ hour bulbs. You could also easily set up a normal incandescent to burn for centuries continuously if you wanted. You would just find it so dim that it would be worthless.

SemiMan

Banned
I don't want to sound anti incan. I assume everyone here knows of the 114 year old constantly burning incan. It seems early incans were made of much thicker wire. They were lasting too long, so the makers held a conference and agreed to make them last much shorter (source: npr podcast) . I was raised in era of 1100 hours. This had me constantly changing bulbs; Took up half my youth! Cfls have been more my speed. Plan to fully switch to led, only when 4 watts does closer to 600 lumens, and I feel better about led heat sinking and controller life. And, 10k hours is up on all my remaining cfls. (The led filament gas scheme to remove heat to the clear glass envelope -where the consumer can feel-, together with over 200 lpw strips, would go far to assuage heat fears.)

http://www.centennialbulb.org

So, don't worry about the smell. You won't notice it 100 years from now.

When a $2.50 LED bulb lasts 25K hours will you really care about heat sinks and 200LPW?

SemiMan

Banned
This is true, but what NPR and everyone who brings this up as proof of "planned obsolescence" ignore is that the old thicker wire bulbs also had terrible efficiency. The shorter lifetime is a design consequence of having a brighter bulb for the same amount of power. For general purpose applications, this is a perfectly fine compromise.

You could (and still can) buy 10k+ hour bulbs. You could also easily set up a normal incandescent to burn for centuries continuously if you wanted. You would just find it so dim that it would be worthless.

Facts are not allowed when discussing conspiracy theories ..... ;-)

SemiMan

Banned
Saw them at HD today. It's an exterior Amber coating from the looks of it. The bases were gold not white. Looked cheap up close but sure would be fine at a distance.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the LED version of the "vintage look" bulbs. at 2700K, way to warm for kitchen use, so I have them mixed with some other CW LED bulbs, and it's much better...

poiihy

Enlightened
The ban (or rather, the approval requirement) only covers general purpose light bulbs. Specialty bulbs are not affected at all. So anything incandescent but not A19 is still legal to sell. That's unlikely to change anytime soon.

To get around that, stores are selling 130v rough service bulbs instead, so people are using even more inefficient bulbs! 380 lumens at 53 watts on 120v IIRC...

CoveAxe

Enlightened
Oh yeah, but I'd estimate it's not really that common. The "rough service" section of HD/Lowes near me is tiny and easy to miss. Everything is either LED/CFL with some halogens mixed in. Most stubborn people I know against this ban just switched to halogen or made a big stockpile before it went into effect.