E12 and battery

7hns

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Fenix E12. The instructions say to take out the battery when the light isn't being used. I'm looking to leave this light in my car as an emergency light. It came with two AA batteries (light takes 1). Should I really not leave the batts in?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Fenix E12. The instructions say to take out the battery when the light isn't being used. I'm looking to leave this light in my car as an emergency light. It came with two AA batteries (light takes 1). Should I really not leave the batts in?

Im relatively certain this is for reference of Alkaline cells. There is no parasitic drain as the switch is a mechanical clicky vs an electronic switch which can soak up your battery in storage, if it's Alkaline like the included cell..... it will leak.

Lithium Energizers are the way to go for a car light. NiMH doesn't do as well as lithium primaries with fluctuations in temperature, Alakalines I don't run period.... especially in storage.

So yes, you are totally fine with lithiums and if you check the battery and don't have wild fluctuations in temp eneloops ( NiMH ) will do OK also.

Go with Lithiums for optimal results.

Last edited:

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
Would probably explain why my E12 was dead after a while of non use with a battery that shouldn't have been dead. There must be some drain in there, even if they say there isn't.

markr6

Flashaholic
It was an NiMh Eneloop.

I posted about some Eneloops sitting in my car without use recently. I think they were in there 12-18 months, and some were half dead. So that was way off spec, but I'm sure temperature was the culprit. I'm guessing the Eneloop "xx% after x years" is with tests at a nice even 70° or so.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only some consideration:
The battery was in good condition?
It 'been charged with a valid battery charger ?
The machine has been exposed to very high temperatures?
It 'possible that the torch is turned on during transport? (even momentarily, but several times)
I have old E11 in the car and I do not have battery problems (I hold the torch inside a holster)

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be something temperature related.

Temps?

Im 99.99% certain the light had nothing to do with it. It's a mechanical switch, when it's "OFF" its OFF.

Any light that is able to take Alkaline's will likely state the same in the directions because they are pretty much guaranteed to leak while stored in the light.

Joe Blow usually uses whatever Alkalines are cheapest or on sale = leak.

Lithium / NiHM no problems.

Where was the light stored in the car?