Looking for a quality flashlight in the budget of 50-75 bucks

bonefreak

Newly Enlightened
Hey there!

New candle power head here! Avid sportsman from NJ as well as an LE officer.
Looking for advice on a quality flashlight to use while afield as well as at
work.

Afield uses- hunting, fishing-track a blood trail to deer, find treestand in AM
darkness, set up AM decoys, night catfishing, etc.

Work uses- locate bad guys hiding, locate evidence, see bad guys hands during
an encounter

Probably would prefer something that does not utilize a rechargeable battery
because I don't ever want it to be burnt and not charged, and I will always
carry extra batteries.

Im not a well versed candle power head and some of the posts I read are a bit
over my head, so any basic advice on becoming a better candle power head, ie
lumens, battery preference, useful features, etc. and a good flashlight to
purchase will be appreciated.

I have had maglights, a stinger and a streamlight a long time ago but Im sure
the technology has improved. Some pals mentioned to look at Nebo Redline,
Surefire, Fenix LD12, Thrunite TN12, Led Lenser P7

Thanks in advance!

Beam me up!!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! If you can carry a spare primary battery, then you can also carry a spare fully charged rechargeable cell. Moving up to an 18650 cell will get you more options in terms of output, runtime and beam profiles. Single CR123 lights (lithium primary battery) is also a good EDC option.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi bonefreak. I'm going to make three suggestions for you. All will run on two CR123 batteries, but each will also run on a rechargeable 16650 lithium ion battery, so in the future if you decide to explore rechargeable batteries you won't have to buy a new light. All have a lifetime warranty from Surefire so in the unlikely event the light fails you, it will be replaced free of charge.

Surefire G2X Pro $50
Reason: two modes: light comes on in low mode first, then a second click gets you to high mode. 15/320 lumens with runtime of 45/2.5 hours.
Something to consider: this may not make the best LEO work light since it comes on in low

Surefire G2X LE $70
Reason: two modes: light comes on in high mode first, then a second click gets you to low mode. 400/15 lumens with runtime of 2.5/45 hours.
Something to consider: this may not make the best hunting light since it comes on in high mode first, and may ruin your night vision unless you hold it against your body while turning it on.

Surefire G2X Tactical $50 and Surefire FM35 red filter $30
Reason: single mode: light comes on in high mode only, and does not have a click tailcap. 320 lumens for 2.5 hours
Something to consider: this is probably the purest "tactically sound" option since it is either on or off, simple, and has a "dead man's" switch on it (so you won't accidentally leave it clicked on). I suggested the red filter because you can attach the filter when hunting and use it to get to the stand before dawn, without ruining your night vision. Only drawback here is it doesn't have a low mode with long battery life.

Anyway, that's just a few options. Also, keep in mind the FM35 red filter can be added to any light I mentioned above, but it would be absolutely required for the "tactical" version of the G2X to make sure you could still use it for low light hunting needs.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Will agree with the fenix pd35/pd35tac---great value light,filters available
Will throw an armytek predator/viking in the mix too--------bullet proof in warm/cool options with filter options available.

Also check out eagletac lights,again filter options part of the kit versions.
Olight m23 looks a nice solid light too.
Good luck:)

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
Fenix PD35 tac (is there an echo in here). Can run on either rechargeable or primary. I recommend rechargeable, that way you can start every shift with a fully charged battery. End of the shift, throw it on the charger and you will be ready to go. With primary you end up have to decide between running partially used cells, throwing partially used cells. You can still carry extra primaries as backups.

stephenk

Enlightened
Sounds like you may need a RGBW light. Thus consider the LED Lenser P7QC for ease of use, or EagleTac D25LC2 for a bit more output and runtime, or Klarus RS20 if you need a much brighter white beam with diffused RGB side light and USB charging.

1DaveN

Enlightened
PD35, get a charger and cell maybe two.

Using primaries can add up over time.

+1 on the PD35, best light ever in my opinion. I've been running mine on primaries, although I'll switch if I start going through them - to me, it's a big selling feature that you get to choose.

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify, when you say using a rechargeable battery, are you talking fixed rechargeable where you charge then in the light or removable rechargeables also, where you take them out and put them on a separate charger and drop another battery in your light and keep going)?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire G2X recommended above is a good choice in the $50-70 price range, I would get the tactical switch version for LE work. Another excellent USA made 2x CR123 light in this price range is the Mag Tac from Maglite, the plain bezel version has a 45 lumen low mode which would work well for hunting, but it always comes on in momentary/full power with the first click (2 quick clicks for constant on high, 3 quick clicks for constant low).

Personally, I would avoid 18650s and other lithium ion rechargeable batteries for law enforcement and other critical uses simply because the protection circuits built into the cells can be damaged and fail if dropped or subjected to other rough handling or recoil.

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
I'd get the Nitecore P36. It's a little over your budget but it's everything you need to get started.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R3ILJ2K/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Now, why the P36? Since you said seeking perps you'd want plenty of light and this one is BRIGHT! Also it has 10 lumen levels that you can tailor to your comfort and it remembers it.

Good spill and plenty throw. I have one (Thanks to CPF) and it's great.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
X 2 on the sure fire lights mentioned.
G2x Pro is not mount friendly though. Can't speak on the others mentioned.
The pixel counters hate the low on the 'pro' model because it's so warm. But if you don't mind 15 or so lumens of a kinda Einstein bulb looking out put... It's a nice friendly beam imo. At 320 it's a nice natural looking beam with a tight spot good for a couple hundred feet and a nice wide spot without real harsh transition.
(When I read how warm it is on low I bought 2.)

Now if you want throw or spot and don't mind a slider head, the Coast HP7 Tac and some eneloop pro aaa's is a decent flood that'll throw a good spot the length of a football field. Or an HP7 (360) with same batteries. Run on medium (around 211 lumens) is about the same brightness as the TAC model on high with much better battery life than at 360 lumens. They run around $40. Beams aren't real critique loved, but they too are not harsh and have a generally overall beam that is plenty bright.

Last edited: