Surefire inandescents when on holiday

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

When at home, I always use led flashlights, Fenix and/or Surefire. But when I am on holiday, I am only armed with Surefire incandescents: A Z2 with a P61 (120 lumen) and an E1E with the MN01 (15 lumen) bulb. It kinda makes the trips more nostalgic and luxurious (like driving vintage sportscars). And, to be honest, even an E1E will suffice during most of the trips you will ever take. The P61, once considered very powerful, still emits the same amount of light that was once considered a serious pocket rocket. (Plus,with a runtime of barely 20 minutes, it is great to get rid of older cells :)).

Are there any other incan users left???

The problem is that finding bulbs is getting harder, these days.

Kind regards,

Joris

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
When the color temperature of LED's reached Incan, sold all my Incan lights off, except ones that started out Incan, and are now hosts.

I can understand your nostalgia for the older lights, they passed quickly as everything does these days.

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
Still very much love all my incans, A2 being my all time favorite. Most of the "around the house" lights found randomly are incans.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Surefire 6P bored out to fit an 18650 running a P61 bulb/reflector with a McClicky in the tail cap. Love that light. Super straightforward on/off operation. No brightness settings, no flashy modes- lovely in its own right.

recDNA

Flashaholic
How many amps does a p61 pull from 2 x CR123A? If it burns through new ones in 20 minutes that sounds like serious current.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see no value in incans. They are less reliable, efficient, have much shorter lifespans and if you run a multi CR123 setup, possibly more dangerous.

LED FTW

Just my thoughts.

scout24

Flashaholic
P90 on two 17500's in one of my G3's is sitting on my dresser. That is my current bump-in-the-night light. Same big bright beam it has always had. I also picked up one of Oveready's TnC acrylic hosts which is housing a Lumensfactory "R30" replacement module. 3v, D26 incan. Great for around the house at night. Enough, but not too much. Plenty of life left in the incans! :) Just have to appreciate what they bring to the table.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

recDNA

Flashaholic
Wow. I had no idea CR123A could safely provide constant current well over 2 amps. I guess I've been babying my primaries all these years?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a EB1 in one pocket and an E2e in the other. Have a few mints but this one arrived slightly worn so it's now a work horse.

I'll always have my incans. Call it nostalgia but I still enjoy using them. If I come across a good deal on a used e1e I'll carry it some as well.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love how fivemega comes out of seemingly nowhere in various threads to drop knowledge (and support) of incan lights. :thumbsup:

Forrest, if you don't see value in incans, you're just not a true flashaholic :)

Everyone should have at least one quality incan, if for no other reason than to remember what it used to be like back in the day. If anything, it will give you a greater appreciate for the runtime and output of the latest LED lights.

I personally love going out in the back yard and lighting up my 9P or Z2 for a change of pace.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I love how fivemega comes out of seemingly nowhere in various threads to drop knowledge (and support) of incan lights. :thumbsup:

Forrest, if you don't see value in incans, you're just not a true flashaholic :)

Everyone should have at least one quality incan, if for no other reason than to remember what it used to be like back in the day. If anything, it will give you a greater appreciate for the runtime and output of the latest LED lights.

I personally love going out in the back yard and lighting up my 9P or Z2 for a change of pace.
Agreed! I really appreciated that info about 2.4 amps from primaries. I was never afraid to use P61 with 2 matched CR123A but recently I was afraid to use zebralight sc32w because on H1 it draws between 2 - 2.5 amps. I bothered the heck out of Nailbender on the same issue. I somehow got the idea CR123A couldn't safely handle that type of draw. Fivemega's info makes me feel much safer to use primaries at higher current than I have in the past - especially single primary.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any other incan users left???
Oh yeah! In fact, I'm soaking a boro lens in hot water as I type to try getting the charred smoke off it. Been lighting the fire pit with my 623. Let's see a LED do that!

The problem is that finding bulbs is getting harder, these days.
Definitely a problem, which is why I've stocked up a healthy supply of various bulbs that are now either very difficult, or near impossible to get. I use LED's a lot as well so the incan stock should last for many years, perhaps decades, which is how long I plan to continue using black body radiators.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I use an incan E2E and 6P quite often. They are in my playroom.