Surefire E2E Defender

ROYALTO

Newly Enlightened
I was at the TAD Gear web site and saw they were expecting these lights soon. They said it had an intergrated "porcupine" forward bezel and an all new impact tail for self-defense applications.

Has anyone seen these or have pics of what they will look like?

Sharp

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mister T said:
No, it isn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was just a guess from what I could gather.

Are you sure?

Richard

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Don't take that to the airport unless it's in checked baggage. Even then it could be a problem.

Brightnorm

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, just when I think I'm going to start looking beyond SF for my flashlight needs, they come up with yet another product I'm going to have to buy. Damn them.

I'm guessing it's something like the A2 porcupine bezel, and a protruding switch that offers protection for the rubber button and allows that side of the light to be used as an impact weapon (palm-stick style).

BTW, where did you find this info on TAD's site? Can't find it.
edit - never mind, found it: http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/flashlights%20main/surefire_e2e-defender.htm

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also very interesting is the Surefire X-200 weapon light, that uses a '3 Watt Single LED head' and a 'specialized lens for focused "diamond" beam'!!

Now if they will just make an L1 with a 3watt and an frean optic, I will be set!

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure if the production model will look like the one I have seen. Please understand that I won't post any pictures of it here, because they obviously weren't indented for the public and are also offline by now. As you might have guessed, other people on the forum are already in the possesion of this light.
But I'll better shut up now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
This sounds pretty cool...Looks like there will be a few cool new lights in 2004. This would be particularily cool with a 120 lumen lamp. Does anyone have a pic or release date?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've figured out that Surefire gives their estimates in dog years, so if you multiply by seven, you know the release date.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Joe

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a flashlight enthusiast, I feel I have to speak out against this again.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

I like SureFire`s flashlights very much. I enjoy the powerful, smooth beams. The construction is first-rate. The deisgns are very innovative especially the new deep-reflectored LED models or the A2/L1 with the two stage pressure switch. When the original 6P/6C came out it was a revolution. But there is one thing I can`t stand, and that`s turning flashlights into weapons. Sure you can bash someone with a D-cell Mag, and an UltraStinger can do double-duty as a baton if absolutely necessary, but that wasn`t the prime motivation behind their design.

The Porcupine made me cringe, the "new M3" made me shudder, this thing sounds even worse. I hate the TID cookie-cutter things but at least those are third-party, removable aftermarket options.

I can only hope this is not the direction SF wants to go for the future, with teeth and nails all over the place. It has law-suit written all over it. Who knows, in this land I live in where the general public are allowed nothing in the way of self defence besides quick wits and a heavy fist, if SF lights gain a reputation as being weapons, thy will end up being banned here too. People will hear the name SureFire, they will remember the court cases they saw on TV involving people being attacked with these sharpened flashlights, and over-react. There goes my collection of high performance flashlights. OK that may be a selfish view but would it not also seriously affect the progress of flashlight technology? Will we be left with dim AA maglites, as the high-power Xenon lites have been classified along with pepper spray and tasers? If police officers can`t tell if that small, bright lamp someone`s using has sharpened points around the end, I can see that happening here.

I know the general public is not their no.1 market, and there will be certain situations where a properly trained person can use one of these DNA collectors to their advantage. I know this "E2D" is just an option and I don`t have to buy it (I hope it doesn`t replace the E2e) but I think this general new direction they are heading in is a mistake. Will all their new lights have sharp edges? I hope not. I have heard some defend the new-design M3 as saying it`s just scalloping so you can see if it`s been left on, but surely that can`t be right? Look how deep the cutouts are, look how sharp the edges are. Scalloping is the gentle grooves on the KL1, not deep gouges that can be used to jab people with.

A limited-avaliability range of accessories that could be sold to, and used by, properly trained personnel, now I don`t object to that. But making everyone who buys a new M3 (or whatever standard light gets this re-design next) have a light with a jagged edge around the lens is surely wrong. If they want to make these things, make them options not the default, and don`t sell them to the public, please!

[/rant]

Concerned.....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Chris,

What's your point?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

P.S.
This is one of the issues I want to discuss at SS2004.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
wink.gif

I would be interested to hear the results of your discussion. I hope it`s just a phase they`re going through. The world needs better flashlights, it already has plenty of weapons.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
And everybody can argue that point in the Cafe or somewhere else. Not here please.

Having said that, if you were restricted to discussing what you know about this "Defender" the thread would need a tumbleweed about now right?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
And everybody can argue that point in the Cafe or somewhere else. Not here please.

Having said that, if you were restricted to discussing what you know about this "Defender" the thread would need a tumbleweed about now right?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. My appologies

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree with what Chris M. has mentioned. I am from Singapore and there are very strict rules on weapon control. Even buying a knife is an issue. No double edge knife. Forget about guns. I do envy some of you guys there who are able to lug your 12 guage Mossberg or Remington and attach an L5 or L6 on a typical hunting trip but not here in Singapore.

You guys may not believe this but Surefire was nearly banned in Singapore because it was classified as a defence light. The only ones who are allowed to use Surefire are the LEOs. I guess the rest are self explainatory.

Andy Ho