Headlamp for work, Commercial/Industrial Electrician

lj973gm

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a new headlamp for work. Most of us on the job get buy purchasing entry headlamps and just replace them as they break for various reasons (Water, smashed, dropped, burned, strap stretches out, etc)

Energizer is the most common, then some coast models, rayovac, maybe a single pelican and streamlight.

I almost purchased a pixa 2 the other day, but passed due to its size and lack of homework on that model to know its pros and cons.

Must have options

1. My first request is a headlamp that runs on standard AA or AAA batteries since they are free on the job always.
2. Warm to 5K color temp for correctly identifying color of wires.
3. Easy to operate, just a simple twist on/off control or simple push button
4. Basically need close up and distance of 30-50'
5. High and low modes, flood and spot is ok, but dont want 113 modes with red green and blue colors.
6. Price range tops out for me at $50

Any help is greatly appreciated, there are so many offerings out there now it makes my head spin when I started to compare models. Having two kids recently cuts down on free time to play on the forums.

lj973gm

Newly Enlightened

D6859

Enlightened
I'd recommend Armytek Tiara A1 (Warm). Pro or non-pro, I'm not sure what's the difference between those two in the new v2 model. I think You'll be safe with non-pro version and save 10$. Warm is 4000K, cool 5500K.

See also Zebralight H52w and H502d L2 High CRI. High CRI (Color Rendering Index) should help you to sort the different coloured wires.

lj973gm

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend Armytek Tiara A1 (Warm). Pro or non-pro, I'm not sure what's the difference between those two in the new v2 model. I think You'll be safe with non-pro version and save 10$. Warm is 4000K, cool 5500K.

See also Zebralight H52w and H502d L2 High CRI. High CRI (Color Rendering Index) should help you to sort the different coloured wires.

I actually had no clue that CRI even existed. Greatly appreciated. How much of a difference is there between CRI and neutral white to most users perceptions?

I knew the white and blue that an LED output washed out the color and your best option was to stay warm or neutral.

Just did a quick search since this is high on my list now and the options are limited unless I want to build my own.

Probably pony up the cash and tell the kids not to eat this week.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Spark SD52NW. It runs on 2 AA cells and has a very simple UI. It is unique as it comes with the standard flood type bezel that is excellent for up close work. You can also buy a spot type bezel that allows the light to go further if need be. It simply screws right in.
I use Eneloops and Duraloops. You get very long run times. The headlamp has an extremely nice HAIII finish and a great fitting elasticised headband. It is very comfortable to wear and it discipates heat well.
I also use it for Electrical work. The NW tint is very useful!

lj973gm

Newly Enlightened
I use a Spark SD52NW. It runs on 2 AA cells and has a very simple UI. It is unique as it comes with the standard flood type bezel that is excellent for up close work. You can also buy a spot type bezel that allows the light to go further if need be. It simply screws right in.
I use Eneloops and Duraloops. You get very long run times. The headlamp has an extremely nice HAIII finish and a great fitting elasticised headband. It is very comfortable to wear and it discipates heat well.
I also use it for Electrical work. The NW tint is very useful!

You are correct on the run times they are nice and long. Seems to be a hard model to find in stock. I am on jobs that require hard hats, safety glasses and gloves once you step foot on any property.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine at goinggear.com. I just checked. The SD52NW is not in stock, but the SD73NW 3-AAA headlamp is in stock. They have 4 of them. If you need something right away.
Looks like hkequipment.net has the SD52NW on sale.

Last edited:

lj973gm

Newly Enlightened
I also checked GG since they are listed as a preferred vendor. The 52 wins in battery life with the trade off of a touch more weight.

Think I will sleep on this one. Wish the zebralight had longer run times.

Thanks for the added legwork of finding HKE having it in stock and on sale. Very very tempting. Would also grab the option reflector to try it out.

Last edited:

lj973gm

Newly Enlightened
Ended up purchasing a ZB H52FW single AA headlamp.

I needed a light sooner than later and I am not really comfortable purchasing out of country which were the only vendors to have the spark 52nw in stock.

I know this is a single AA cell but it will not likely meet my needs, so I will be sending it back and continue my search. I am pondering a 18650 cell but the width is holding me back

lj973gm

Newly Enlightened
I will be returning the ZB, just not bright enough.

Purchased the SD-52NW, from HK. Hopefully it shows up.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Surefire headlamp is the only Surefire light I still use and while not in your stated price range or battery desire it is the best headlamp I will ever need or use. It has a smooth warm light from 1 lumen to 75 or 100 lumen with a very smooth progression with no jumps. I rarely ever use the light at full brightness. If you work around other people 75 0r 100 lumens to the eye is no way to make friends.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I will be returning the ZB, just not bright enough.

Purchased the SD-52NW, from HK. Hopefully it shows up.

I used the 52nw for years and now use the zebra h502. Spark 52 in Med2 mode is great, but always had bad behavior when the battery level dropped even just a little. mode memory my A$$! wouldn't start upon first press of the button ect.

Now I use the zebra with NImH batteries and a charger. works great. I may up size to the 18650 model for longer run times.

flood beams are the best for up close work, so carry a small thrower in your bags to trace conduits and such.

Hope that Spark works for you. please report back and tell us what you think.