RC aircraft LED landing light

Shniggysaurus

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.

I'm new to LEDs and electronics in general. I fly RC airplanes and I'd like to put a bright landing light on the nose of my plane. I found this LED and I thought with a little work I could make it fly. I was hoping you guys could direct me to some great tutorial threads on making this work. This youtube video seems like exactly what I need but if you guys have any threads here or other advice I would love it.

Thanks so much for the help!

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
So you don't have any other lighting on the plane yet? If not, then forget about the landing light until you have a good orientation setup, typically utilising cheap 12V LED strips. Make it so you can tell left from right and top from bottom, otherwise it will be a short flight and you won't get to the landing bit anyway.
Are you using 3S, 2S, 4S? If 4S you'll need something inline to reduce voltage/current, otherwise for 12V strips they actually tend to run pretty nicely on a 2S setup.
If a foamy, with the right LED orientation you can use the foam as a diffuser and light up entire surfaces, fuselages etc.

Don't get trapped into thinking brighter is better, you don't want to blind yourself whilst landing or dull what little night-sight (or dusk-sight) you may have to make out your surrounds. I think you'll find a white strip underneath will generally cast more than enough light on your landing surface.

12V strips can be run directly from a 2S or 3S lipo without any other components. Simple. Here's an example of some I recently purchased for just that role, they're on a very thin/light copper strip and don't heat up at all (ie. imperceptible). Ran one set all night on a damaged 3S in a vain attempt to bleed some voltage from it, barely made a dent in the voltage.

Shniggysaurus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply rogue. those strip lights are awesome and I will have some on the wing and tail and then I'm probably going to run those 3 led boards in red and green on the wing tips for orientation. I have used those on other aircraft and run them on the 3 s flight pack. My plan at this point for the landing light is to have a switch on my receiver to turn on and off one of those 10 W COB LEDs and use this regulator and then just solder a connector to plug it directly into an on board lipo. I believe that should be able to handle 3s or 4s from the lipo. Then I will glue the LED to a 1 cm heat sink and attach that to the nose or under a wing.