AW IMR 3000mAh

Strintguy

Enlightened
Hello, is there any reason not to use this cell for any single 18650 light? I.E. ZL SC600 II, SF Legos with Malkoff drop-ins, etc?
thanks

Conte

Enlightened
AW has a 3000mah IMR cell ?

I just checked his sales thread, did I miss it ?

I wouldn't hesitate to use an AW 18650 IMR cell in any of my 18650 lights.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only light I know of that you DO NOT use an IMR is one running direct drive where the LED can pull too much power from an IMR.

Oveready's M2 mini turbo head is the one light I know of where this is true.

The latest AW IMR 18650 (presumably the 3000 mah) you are not supposed to run in series. This was on Oveready's Wasp thread. Oveready sells AW IMRs.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW has a 3000mah IMR cell ?

I just checked his sales thread, did I miss it ?

I wouldn't hesitate to use an AW 18650 IMR cell in any of my 18650 lights.

he never lists much new stuff in his threads anymore. RTDVapor has the new stuff always, for example, and I'm betting his (AW's) other authorized resellers do, too.

it's a legit new AW offering :)

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What can AW offer in an unprotected 18650 that is better than the cells from Samsung, LG, Sanyo, or Panasonic? I think the answer is "nothing".

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see some the vaper's reviews of this cell, once it gets settled in the marketplace.

More precisely, how long of a life will they be getting when they hit it hard.

Chris

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What can AW offer in an unprotected 18650 that is better than the cells from Samsung, LG, Sanyo, or Panasonic? I think the answer is "nothing".

It seems the correct answer is at least 500 mAh of capacity. I'm curious what cells AW is using, since it's well known that he isn't a battery manufacturer.

I bought a couple of them from Oveready, but haven't used them yet.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
The only light I know of that you DO NOT use an IMR is one running direct drive where the LED can pull too much power from an IMR.

Oveready's M2 mini turbo head is the one light I know of where this is true.

The latest AW IMR 18650 (presumably the 3000 mah) you are not supposed to run in series. This was on Oveready's Wasp thread. Oveready sells AW IMRs.

I'm a little confused. Isn't the main point of using an IMR to get high drain capability? Why would someone buy an IMR that wasn't up to snuff there?

Maybe they want the safer chemistry with higher capacity?

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, that sounds like there is good advice in that but I am struggling with it.
If DD, wouldn't the LED just reach a point of diminishing returns an burn out and cut draw from cells?

Also why not series now? I mean, others here on forums run multi lmrs in lights, I just got some myself to use in series, KP 3200s.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I bought a handful of these from Oveready, been running them in vape mods and high power single cell lights. No scientific testing done but they do seem to deliver stronger for longer than the Sony vtc4 cells I was using.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
If DD, wouldn't the LED just reach a point of diminishing returns an burn out and cut draw from cells?.

DD is a funny animal. The LED is like a drug user. Without regulation, it will take as much power as the battery will give - to its own destruction. In this case, IMR are to generous, so more resistance is needed in the form of protected ICR.

Also why not series now? I mean, others here on forums run multi lmrs in lights, I just got some myself to use in series, KP 3200s.
3000 IMR are flattop and lack the connection dots on the bottom, normally used to connect with these tops. So they literally can't make contact with eachother.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK thank you, it is a odd duck☺
Though, why are these 3000s suggested not to link up?
I've 3200 rewrapped with button tops for that explicit purpose,..
or was that meant just in DD lights, as that would make sense if it did not have a buck circuit?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
OK thank you, it is a odd duck[emoji5]
Though, why are these 3000s suggested not to link up?
I've 3200 rewrapped with button tops for that explicit purpose,..
or was that meant just in DD lights, as that would make sense if it did not have a buck circuit?

Don't think of it as an active discouragement so much as a lack of an about-to-be-obscure feature. The battery market has been taken over by vape and vape doesn't need series capable. Light users are benefiting from faster development in cells and chargers but we're no longer the direct focus of that development.

Post 3 has a mixture of unrelated information. DD setups need to be tested with a given family of cells. IMR test to hot. Protected ICR test just right. Other cells may test less than optimal. Any cell not in a test category is unknown and therefore risky (to hot may blow the led).

These tests also assume a given host with low resistance parts. IMR + high resistance parts may also be fine. But again, uncertainty.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bad, thank you for educating me more.
I think I read post 3 wrong and assumed that applied to other lights other then what was mentioned there in that same post.
I hope you understand where my confusion came from now, again thank you for taking the time to straighten my derailing out.
+1

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
We'll thank you for asking. Now others can benefit from our discussion!
From a light perspective, this is a confusing battery. Made more confusing by the lack of 'oh by the way...' from AW on launch. But that is a sign of his new focus on vape.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a second... Lol are saying it's still not a suggested to use cell in quality lights that are current controlled?
Ooh god I'm sorry I have to ask that EG.
Good grief I'm dense, I think you are and I missed that flag.

OK, the new AW 3000 are suggested in solo set ups I get that like some vapers,... though they shouldn't be used in series regardless of control circuit too?
My first language is grunts and gestures, sorry for extra effort.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
If the guy pressing the bottom part needed for the 3000 had used the mold with the dots, these cells would have dots and would be fine with series use. The only reason we can't is because he used the mold without dots. And the only reason he didn't is because 90% of the new battery market doesn't care if their batteries can be used together (in series).

This is a simple physical thing, that just means that when two of these are put into a flashlight, it won't turn on cause the cells can't make contact. It's like if they were to wide and didn't fit. There's nothing inherent about 3000 that a tiny spacer can't fix.