Just got my Eagletac GX30A3D in the mail....

Shadowcaster

Newly Enlightened
I'm kind of a rookie flashaholic, but I have dropped the requisite amount of coin on flashlights for it to be considered a problem by some (OK, most).

I pre-ordered it on Illuminationgear (thanks Tod!) two weeks ago, and it's safe to say I am entirely spazzed out. Spazzed out enough to want to EDC it. Does anybody know of a source for pocket clips that might fit this? It's kinda fat.

Anyway, I'm waiting patiently for it to get dark (let's be honest, I'm waiting HELPLESSLY for it to get dark. I already locked myself in the hall bathroom).

My current frame of reference for 'throwy' LED flashlights is a G25C2MK2 that I bought a while back. I can already tell by the hotspot this little guy is gonna clobber it.

My camera is terrible on my phone, but I can put pictures up for anybody who wants to see.

markr6

Flashaholic
Nice little thrower! How do you like the 2-button setup? I just got my first Eagletac with this and I'm not sure if I like it yet...switching back and forth with my thumb.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
this will be one of the next lights I buy when the "fund" gets refilled. Would love to see some pics. A light this size with 500 yards of throw would have seemed like the stuff of science fiction 5 years ago on top of that ET is known to rate their candela very low for some reason. Would love to see how the diffuser works along with it. As for a pocket clip your gonna either have to have one custom made or find a proper sheath for it. I myself know Im just gonna throw it in my coat pocket.

markr6

Flashaholic
this will be one of the next lights I buy when the "fund" gets refilled. Would love to see some pics. A light this size with 500 yards of throw would have seemed like the stuff of science fiction 5 years ago on top of that ET is known to rate their candela very low for some reason. Would love to see how the diffuser works along with it. As for a pocket clip your gonna either have to have one custom made or find a proper sheath for it. I myself know Im just gonna throw it in my coat pocket.

The 500 yards is impressive on this small light. What else do they have that does that...a light 3x as big on 18650 or 3x18650! (M30lC, MX30, SX25, etc)

Shadowcaster

Newly Enlightened
So far I'm in love with the two- button setup UNTIL I want to switch between Diffuser modes. That feels a little cludgy. The rear button is also uncomfortable to press in an overhand grip (to me, YMMV). Other than that, it's small enough to slip in the change pocket of a pair of jeans, and it's a CANNON on high. The diffuser on medium seems to be the best in general utility. I live in L.A. County, so shining a bright flashlight around is likely to scare some of the sheeple that live around me. Especially since this one can light up your house through the windows from a block away.

I REALLY WISH IT HAD A POCKET CLIP. Also, an RGB led for the battery indicator would have been a nice design touch.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the limited G25C2 MkII XP-L HI. The emitter that is actually in the light is NOT an XP-L HI. I am sure it is some type of XP-L that left its factory with a dome on the emitter under close inspection I can still see the ring around the emitter from the cut off dome. There are even still tiny pieces of the base of the dome in the footprint of the dome. The output out of this factory freak is astonishing. I dont have any kind of light measuring equipment but is MUCH brighter than my freshly charged SR52. The blinding white photon torpedo that comes out the front of this mystery emitter light produces a beam profile with the tiniest hot spot I have ever seen. There is no corona. Up to 20-25 feet the beam is searingly bright white spill with the tiny hot spot nearly buried in the center. Past 20-25 feet the hot spot opens up and becomes larger. Idk what other electronic trickery ET may have done to this beast but what I do know is that there is a very large local park that has huge aluminum power towers running power lines along and through the back of the park. I also know the towers are 100 yards apart. The beam out of this factory freak lights up the top of the 5th tower away and keeps going after that.

I bought it from GG. I could have easily complained and got a refund. But the light is just a monster. It bothers me that ET advertised the light and even put a sticker on the box "XP-L HI". The mystery emitter is NOT an XP-L HI. Did a lot of research on Crees XP-L data sheets trying to figure out which domed XP-L the emitter started out as and am still at a loss. I also have the NW T6 G25 full on kit light and love the G25 platform. Real XP-L HI emitters have the emitter covered by a square silicone wafer. I also noticed on Crees current data sheets for the XP-L there is no mention or listing of a true de domed XP-L emitter at all. Run the ET in house chop shop emitter G25 off 2x3600mah 18650's I believe the extra voltage may also be behind the amazing output.

On ET's "Flashaholic Arena" page where they advertise the T25 and G25 XP-L HI lights they incorrectly state that the square wafer covered XP-L is now referred to as the XP-L HD. Cree XP-L HD emitters have domes over them. Olight is also guilty of in house chop job de doming domed XP-L emitters the XP-L in my M2X UT has the same ring around the emitter footprint of the dome base along with jagged little pieces of the hacked off dome base lining spots in the ring around the emitter.

Im hoping the GX30A3 I buy has the shiny silicone square wafer over it when I examine it closely with my magnifying glasses. It should.

Dupree

Newly Enlightened
Any pics? I'm dying to see what the diffuser looks like when lit up. Is the main beam pretty narrow, I would imagine it is very narrow, tight and focused for it to be able to reach out such a distance.
if you can post any pics at all, even if they're crappy that's fine and would be much appreciated.
Some of the diffuser AND the main beam would be cool too.
Dupree

Shadowcaster

Newly Enlightened
I'll give it a shot tonight. The beam is surprisingly wide, spill is only slightly smaller than the TX25C I normally have with me.I used it to light up a four story building about a block away, and it illuminated it top to bottom at that distance. It turned out to be a retirement community (so I won't be using that as a test photo). :D

I'll probably use the diffuser combo mode a LOT while walking, since it covers the user with a bubble of light that makes moving the spot unnecessary. Anything within twenty feet of you will be lit up by default. It's like having someone walk beside you with a lantern. Definitely not the kind of flashlight you see in scary movies. The diffuser-only low mode is gonna see a lot of use too, since it's the ultimate 'I dropped it in the car at night' utility light. I do wish there was a moonlight mode for it, though. Low is still gonna wake someone up when I wake up to go pee at 2 am.

P.S. Warn anyone you demonstrate the 'High' diffuser mode on in front of to NOT look at it directly. You'd think that's a no-brainer, but everybody I've shown it to looks right at it, then sees a purple donut flying around in front of them for the next twenty minutes

Dupree

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much Shadowcaster for all your input/info on the light. Whatever shots you can post will be great.
I spend a ton of time in the backwoods and walk a lot at night and wanted something with a bit of throw and some flood...but all in a small package as weight is critical when in the bush for extended periods. I have the original GX25A3 from Eagletac but hate the twisty/mode UI system as it has already failed on me (medium mode no longer functions, just high and low) even though I have never dropped/abused the light and cleaned it meticulously...otherwise it's my favourite AA light so I'm REALLY excited to see this latest version with the button UI and additional flood option. Sounds like a win-win with this new set-up.

markr6

Flashaholic
I watched a review on youtube and the flood almost seemed too floody...like it would blind you. I'm curious to see more feedback on this one.

Dupree

Newly Enlightened
Man I've searched everywhere for a review on this light and can't find a thing??? Any chance you remember the link to the review?
Any help much appreciated.

markr6

Flashaholic
Man I've searched everywhere for a review on this light and can't find a thing??? Any chance you remember the link to the review?
Any help much appreciated.

I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1X-lktaZSY

There is at least one other. This one basically just shows beamshots. It's probably the camera, but the diffuser doesn't seem to project a flood. Rather, just light up the area around you. But I don't have one so I would need to see this in person to get an idea of what it can do.

Dupree

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link Brother, really gives me a good idea of what to expect! It's pretty much As I imagined, it will be great on low mode sitting in the top gear loft of a tent or hanging it from a tree branch while setting up camp at night...plus it acts as a regular flashlight too. I've been walking at night with a TN36 and it is awesome but just so heavy...and although I won't get near the amount of flood this little AA beast is going to fit my needs perfectly.
Thanks again to everyone helping me out.

Shadowcaster

Newly Enlightened
Dupree, my friend you will LOVE this thing in the woods. LOVE IT. The YouTube post by Matthew Klingler also has an unboxing video. I used it to get me through the waiting period while it was on pre-order, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxgPj-xLzng

Ditto on the 'Mega Flood aspect of this - if you're used to putting a diffuser on the front of your light, this will feel like carrying a light bulb, as it's almost entirely non-directional. I reflexively hold it at waist level. Also, if there's a light mist or real fog in the air, turning on a diffuser setting of 'high' wil make people briefly think you've exploded. As a tent light, though? Unbelievable.

Dupree

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, Dupree is really going to dig this new light for sure. Thanks again to Shadowcaster and Markr6 for all the help.
got a whole bunch of Energizer L91's ready for the light...they are so light and pack a ton of juice and work well in the cold.

Shadowcaster

Newly Enlightened
I'd really like to see runtime numbers with lithiums installed. The specs as published are for Eneloop 2500's.

An odd thing about the battery indicator on mine - the number of flashes change with the level of output. For example, on low I can get 4 flashes. Full battery. Then I switch to high, and get 1 or 2 flashes. Low battery. I haven't seen any descriptions from Eagletac that clear this up for me. What would kick *** is if it flashed the number of hours I can expect it to last at a given output setting. I doubt that's what is happening.

gsteve

Enlightened
i had the 18650 diffuser light and hated the diffuser. I found it was like have a light shine in your eyes.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
man I cant find this light anywhere not even on illumn am hoping they pop up somewhere the days are really getting shorter now

markr6

Flashaholic
man I cant find this light anywhere not even on illumn am hoping they pop up somewhere the days are really getting shorter now

I buy all my Eagletacs from Illumination Gear in FL. I believe they have this one in stock.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'd really like to see runtime numbers with lithiums installed. The specs as published are for Eneloop 2500's.

An odd thing about the battery indicator on mine - the number of flashes change with the level of output. For example, on low I can get 4 flashes. Full battery. Then I switch to high, and get 1 or 2 flashes. Low battery. I haven't seen any descriptions from Eagletac that clear this up for me. What would kick *** is if it flashed the number of hours I can expect it to last at a given output setting. I doubt that's what is happening.

I'm not sold on their indicator. I see the same thing. 4 flashes on ALL levels except turbo. 3 flashes on that. But then I was shocked to test the cells on my DMM...3.61v!! I would have expected 1 or 2 flashes at that point. But is it measuring it under load or resting? Either way, it doesn't' seem right.

From Eagletac:

• Flash once: lower than 20%
  • Flash twice: 20%-40%
  • Flash 3x times: 40%-60%
  • Flash 4x times: higher than 80%

Latest posts