4 Sevens
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight recomendations

Default Flashlight recomendations

So what I'm looking for is something a bit impressive.

I want throw to compliment my headlamp, and as it will be used for backpacking/camping size, and to a lesser extent, weight is a concern.

As for price, well something in the $40-60 range I suppose although I might be tempted to splurge above that if I see something I really like.

Please use full names or better yet links as I'm still new around here oh and if there are aftermarket partst for the recoemended light that can make it better give me the heads up on that. The most practicle light for me would probably be a cheaper one that can do just that, be upgraded later.

Thanx for helping me fill in my wish list. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Default Re: Flashlight recomendations

Flashaholic*

I will second the motion

Flashaholic*

PT Surge.

Flashaholic*

to compliment your headlamp aye?

that gives me the impression you're an outdoor enthusiast.. so would you be looking for something small, something with long runtime, something that can be huge as long as it's extremely bright that you can stash @ the campsite? etc.

i'm going in the direction of a customized reccomendation..

PT surge [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    cheap and bright

Flashaholic*

You say: impressive, backpacking/camping size, weight.

I think that the Surge is heavy and bulky.

My answer to fit these requirements is an ARC LS.

Look in the ARC forum and go to their website. They are priced in the $130 - $180 range, but some can be had in the $50 - $100 range now. Also, look for them in the B/S/T forum.

Flashaholic*

There are many small, cheap and bright lights in a lower price range - not everyone can or wants to spend $ 100 and up.

- If you want a Luxeon powered light, a Minimag outfitted with a BB400/MadMax should be fine for $ 50-60 total.
    - If you want "throw", a $ 20-30 spotlight should do the job. Who goes camping on foot? If no, there are plenty of incandescents engineered to do precisely this, including a Mag 2C fitted with a KPR112 (Radio Shack)/KPR113 (Walmart) and 3x CR123A for $ 20-25.
    - If you want a low power light, a CMG Infinity Ultra could do the job.

What gets my groat is people recommending $ 100+ lights to everybody. Not everyone can afford to spend that much on lights, even though i'm sure this forum's collective audience tends towards middle age and deeper pockets.

the surge is'nt realli that huge, its big compared to a minimag or a e2 or an arc, but compared to a 2d maglight its small...
    for camping, if weight is a problem, i will prolli bring my pm6/x5/arc ls ..etc..
    anyway,
    [ QUOTE ]
    Mark_Larson said:

What gets my groat is people recommending $ 100+ lights to everybody. Not everyone can afford to spend that much on lights, even though i'm sure this forum's collective audience tends towards middle age and deeper pockets.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of truth to that, and there are a lot of lights that are good for under a $100.00. But then I also know that when I hit the switch on my Surefire it is going to work, and work well. Being out camping, and knowing that I can rely on my equipment is a big consideration. Also if I had bought the Surefires first, I might not have spent as much on other lights.

Just the other side of the two bit piece..

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator Roy's Avatar

In your price range there is a LARGE selection now-a-days! The entire line of Streaamlight Twin Task light is available for less than $40! I have the TT 3C, which is the largest of the TT series, but has two LED levels and a Xenon bulb. The PT Surge is a great light! Don'tlet anyone fool you! The one I had (Son-In-Law now has it), would light up the entire house across the street by adjusting the focus of the light! Kinda expect the Surge to hum when you turn it on! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Also, the only light that I've ever used that was not reliable, was a military issue bent-neck 2xD light!

Flashaholic*

I'd go with the TL-3 Xenon. It is lightweight, comes with a spare bulb, it will take up little room in a backpack and has plenty of throw. Did I mention it is bright? I guess I didn't but it is...

This link will have description & pricing from BrightGuy

Dave

I'm casting my vote for the UKE 2L. Long runtime, waterproof, almost indestructable and most importantly lightweight.

I haven't used a lux light yet but my understanding is that a xenon bulb will give more throw than a 5w lux?

Runtime I don't think is that big of a deal as this will just be used when its needed.

The $100 lights are too pricey for me needs although they sound kewl.

Oh come to think of it, I do have one more deffinate requirement, as alot of my trips involve canoes, the light MUST be waterproof.

The spotlight I think would be too big. In a canoe size is more important than weight and I am working my gear list up to the point I can buy a backpack and a few other things and get into backpacking so a spotlight would be way too much then.

Something minimagish would be nice (size wise) although I personally hate the minimag.

I seem to remember that the Surge was origonally called a DIVE light...300ft?.... But then again....ALL clames of waterproofness need to be tested prior to field usage!

Flashaholic*

For throw, let me "fourth" those recommendations for the Streamlight TL-3 xenon. The TL-2 & Scorpion are smaller and throw almost as well. The Pelican PM-6 is even closer to the TL-3's throw at less cost. Pelican's SuperPeliLite & StealthLite's use 2 C cells & 4 AA's, respectively. They have very good throw with longer runtimes, are cheaper, and WATERPROOF, but are slightly larger, plastic bodied lights. The Peli & Stealth throw very well but don't provide as much overall light as the lithium 123 battery powered lights.

GQ, yes, Xenon lights will have more throw. I still stand by my vote for the UKE 2L, take a look at the review on Doug's site right here. Size, weight, waterproofness and costwise (think they're around $23+ now, IIRC) it beats the SL TL, otherwise check out some of the other UKE or PT lights (as suggested above), these are both dive-rated light, so you can't go wrong there! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Stanley has some good suggestions. The TL's & Scorpion are not waterproof. The UK & PT lights are newer designs and, I think, smaller than the older, plastic, Pelicans that I have.

Flashaholic*

Well, I think this "waterproofness" thing gets beaten into the ground.

Almost all the Streamlight, and Surefire lights have nice O-rings, and greased threads work quite well.

They are not "dive" lights for sure, but under almost any day to day conceiveable conditions, should remain dry inside. I've hunted/fished in horribly wet conditions carrying a bunch of them, and I have not experienced a single leak.

Flashaholic*

Quickbeam's review of the Underwater Kinetics 2L xenon
    i think this is the only light that will meet your Minimag-esque/waterproof requirements.. and it is a fine light indeed..
    you might consider going to a 4AA light.. they're still fairly compact, but it will give you a few more choices.. like the Streamlight 4AA xenon and the Underwater Kinetics 4AA xenon (AS2).. orrr, orrr, nah i'll leave it up to you.. but definitely browse Quickbeam's review site for some ideas..

So far the UK 2L and the Surge look about like what I'd want.

Anyoneknow the specs on these compared to a minimag? ..as in how much of an improvement would I get?

TAke a Surge outside and turn it on. If you don't say something along the lines of "Holy S**t", I'd be supprised. Yes, it is that bright. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

The Minimag and UKE 2L are not the same type of light at all. The UKE is at least 5x as bright as the Minimag. The PT Surge is maybe 3x as bright as the UKE, but also around 4x bigger and heavier. The TL3 is roughly as bright as the Surge, and about halfway between the UKE and Surge in size/weight.

It would help if you'd say just how much size/weight you're willing to tolerate. The Surge is about the size of a typical plastic household two-C-cell light, but a little thicker, like a D cell light. The TL3 is about like a Minimag that took too many vitamins, i.e. a little bit longer and thicker, and the head is larger.

To even approach this kind of throw with an LED light, you'll have to get a Surefire L5 or something of that caliber. Better would be a Space Needle II (modded 2C Maglight with direct drive 5W emitter) if you can find one on BST.

If you can stand something even bigger than the Surge, other options include the UKE SL6C (six C cells) and maybe the Tigerlight or Ultrastinger (both rechargeable).

Flashaholic

You can also take a look at the Princeton Tec Tec40. It is small, runs off of 4AAs, waterproof, and can be had for about $15. It is highly regarded here on CPF as a good all-purpose light. I don't know how much throw you need, but a 4 cell light should be pretty good for camping and backpacking. If you decide you need more light then you can upgrade to a better light later and you won't be out too much cash.

I have never had a UK 2L.

I own: PM6, G2 w/P60, TT2L, And TEC40 from the so far talked about lights.

In stock condition, the PM6 is the throw champ.

Modded, (in this case a M*g 4 cell Xenon bulb) the TEC40 also puts light quite out there.

I don't know how water resistent the PM6 is, but the TEC40 is at the very least monsoon proof.

Also, as mentioned above a SpaceNeedleII is an awesome thing! It doesn't have all that much more runtime than the 2L lights however.

The TEC40 is probably the best compromise light we have discussed so far.

Flashaholic*

Looking at this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;category=1300

The Surge looks great in price and size and with the 4/8 battery option sounds good for different uses as well. The size sounds great as well.

The pics you guys linked to look decent in brightness as well.

The Surge is running for $31 so unless someone can recomend something better for around the same price I think I've now got something more specific than 'flashlight' for my wish list.

Flashaholic*

well.. as long as you get the newest version of the Surge, then i know you'll be satisfied..

[ QUOTE ]
    GQGeek81 said:
    Looking at this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;category=1300

The Surge looks great in price and size and with the 4/8 battery option sounds good for different uses as well. The size sounds great as well.

The pics you guys linked to look decent in brightness as well.

The Surge is running for $31 so unless someone can recomend something better for around the same price I think I've now got something more specific than 'flashlight' for my wish list.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you decide on the Surge, be sure to check it out at Texas Tactical Supply for $20.99 to save a bunch of dough while still enjoying excellent customer service. (Also, according to this web page, they carry the "New Version".)
    Pat [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast