Flashlight recomendations

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
So what I'm looking for is something a bit impressive.

I want throw to compliment my headlamp, and as it will be used for backpacking/camping size, and to a lesser extent, weight is a concern.

As for price, well something in the $40-60 range I suppose although I might be tempted to splurge above that if I see something I really like.

Please use full names or better yet links as I'm still new around here oh and if there are aftermarket partst for the recoemended light that can make it better give me the heads up on that. The most practicle light for me would probably be a cheaper one that can do just that, be upgraded later.

Thanx for helping me fill in my wish list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
to compliment your headlamp aye?

that gives me the impression you're an outdoor enthusiast.. so would you be looking for something small, something with long runtime, something that can be huge as long as it's extremely bright that you can stash @ the campsite? etc.

i'm going in the direction of a customized reccomendation..

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
You say: impressive, backpacking/camping size, weight.

I think that the Surge is heavy and bulky.

My answer to fit these requirements is an ARC LS.

Look in the ARC forum and go to their website. They are priced in the $130 - $180 range, but some can be had in the $50 - $100 range now. Also, look for them in the B/S/T forum.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
There are many small, cheap and bright lights in a lower price range - not everyone can or wants to spend $ 100 and up.

- If you want a Luxeon powered light, a Minimag outfitted with a BB400/MadMax should be fine for $ 50-60 total.
- If you want "throw", a $ 20-30 spotlight should do the job. Who goes camping on foot? If no, there are plenty of incandescents engineered to do precisely this, including a Mag 2C fitted with a KPR112 (Radio Shack)/KPR113 (Walmart) and 3x CR123A for $ 20-25.
- If you want a low power light, a CMG Infinity Ultra could do the job.

What gets my groat is people recommending $ 100+ lights to everybody. Not everyone can afford to spend that much on lights, even though i'm sure this forum's collective audience tends towards middle age and deeper pockets.

Shadows

Newly Enlightened
the surge is'nt realli that huge, its big compared to a minimag or a e2 or an arc, but compared to a 2d maglight its small...
for camping, if weight is a problem, i will prolli bring my pm6/x5/arc ls ..etc..
anyway,
[ QUOTE ]
Mark_Larson said:

What gets my groat is people recommending $ 100+ lights to everybody. Not everyone can afford to spend that much on lights, even though i'm sure this forum's collective audience tends towards middle age and deeper pockets.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of truth to that, and there are a lot of lights that are good for under a $100.00. But then I also know that when I hit the switch on my Surefire it is going to work, and work well. Being out camping, and knowing that I can rely on my equipment is a big consideration. Also if I had bought the Surefires first, I might not have spent as much on other lights.

Just the other side of the two bit piece..

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
In your price range there is a LARGE selection now-a-days! The entire line of Streaamlight Twin Task light is available for less than $40! I have the TT 3C, which is the largest of the TT series, but has two LED levels and a Xenon bulb. The PT Surge is a great light! Don'tlet anyone fool you! The one I had (Son-In-Law now has it), would light up the entire house across the street by adjusting the focus of the light! Kinda expect the Surge to hum when you turn it on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also, the only light that I've ever used that was not reliable, was a military issue bent-neck 2xD light!

GQGeek81

Newly Enlightened
I haven't used a lux light yet but my understanding is that a xenon bulb will give more throw than a 5w lux?

Runtime I don't think is that big of a deal as this will just be used when its needed.

The $100 lights are too pricey for me needs although they sound kewl.

Oh come to think of it, I do have one more deffinate requirement, as alot of my trips involve canoes, the light MUST be waterproof.

The spotlight I think would be too big. In a canoe size is more important than weight and I am working my gear list up to the point I can buy a backpack and a few other things and get into backpacking so a spotlight would be way too much then.

Something minimagish would be nice (size wise) although I personally hate the minimag.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I seem to remember that the Surge was origonally called a DIVE light...300ft?.... But then again....ALL clames of waterproofness need to be tested prior to field usage!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
For throw, let me "fourth" those recommendations for the Streamlight TL-3 xenon. The TL-2 & Scorpion are smaller and throw almost as well. The Pelican PM-6 is even closer to the TL-3's throw at less cost. Pelican's SuperPeliLite & StealthLite's use 2 C cells & 4 AA's, respectively. They have very good throw with longer runtimes, are cheaper, and WATERPROOF, but are slightly larger, plastic bodied lights. The Peli & Stealth throw very well but don't provide as much overall light as the lithium 123 battery powered lights.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
GQ, yes, Xenon lights will have more throw. I still stand by my vote for the UKE 2L, take a look at the review on Doug's site right here. Size, weight, waterproofness and costwise (think they're around $23+ now, IIRC) it beats the SL TL, otherwise check out some of the other UKE or PT lights (as suggested above), these are both dive-rated light, so you can't go wrong there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stanley has some good suggestions. The TL's & Scorpion are not waterproof. The UK & PT lights are newer designs and, I think, smaller than the older, plastic, Pelicans that I have.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I think this "waterproofness" thing gets beaten into the ground.

Almost all the Streamlight, and Surefire lights have nice O-rings, and greased threads work quite well.

They are not "dive" lights for sure, but under almost any day to day conceiveable conditions, should remain dry inside. I've hunted/fished in horribly wet conditions carrying a bunch of them, and I have not experienced a single leak.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam's review of the Underwater Kinetics 2L xenon
i think this is the only light that will meet your Minimag-esque/waterproof requirements.. and it is a fine light indeed..
you might consider going to a 4AA light.. they're still fairly compact, but it will give you a few more choices.. like the Streamlight 4AA xenon and the Underwater Kinetics 4AA xenon (AS2).. orrr, orrr, nah i'll leave it up to you.. but definitely browse Quickbeam's review site for some ideas..