Need a laser to go with a flashlight. Advice?

Tiburonsmoke

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

It's been a long time since I posted. On the advice of a few members, I bought a SkyRay King. I'm very happy with my flashlight.

Last year I bought my dad a £10 zoomable Cree flashlight on eBay. He likes to shine it into the sky when it's misty. Don't ask, but I think it's might be for the same reason that he sets off fireworks on my late mum and late brother's birthdays. I figured I'd like to get him a small, cheap laser to make a better light show. Whatever makes him feel better. He's a responsible adult, and he doesn't need anything that could ignite a match, just something to shine brightly into the heavens. We live way off in the sticks on a rocky coastline, so he's not likely to interfere with air traffic. Nor would he want to.

I'm thinking about £20, something that uses 18650 cells or similar, and that I can buy off eBay. My knowledge of lasers is very poor. I'm only familiar with the little pointers that my cats play with. I figured that since you guys are all candlepower enthusiasts, some of you might know about lasers. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tib

Poppy

Flashaholic
Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you go to a custom builder, they're all from China. Green lasers are the most visible.

eBay would be your best bet.

Search, 18650, green laser, and sort via Buy it Now. You can get a nice one for around $15 that uses a key to keep the little one out of it.

If it comes with batteries, toss um and purchase a couple of good quality cells.

I purchased a set of three a few years ago that run on CR123 batteries. Other than the one I took apart to get the pill for a laser level, they all still work.

Tiburonsmoke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys. I've just read the thread and it was very helpful. I'd never even thought about star gazing with a pointer (I use the iPhone Sky Guide app). Maybe my dad would enjoy that too. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm torn between blue and green and I'm still not sure what power rating is best.

I've got some great Panasonic 18650 batteries I can substitute.

The "key lock" idea for safety is a good one. Crikey, I never thought about that. A definite must-have.

Regards,

Tib

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just picked up a Streamlight Multi-Ops 3aaa at an auto parts store in a 1 horse town for $58.

It's a 40 lumen flashlight with 5 uv LED's and a laser pointer.

^^ about the same size as a 6P
Came with a sheath you slide your belt through up to 2" easily (opening is 2-1/4") and a ring/lanyard combo like the other guys make you buy separate.
Soft on hi only clicky switch. A dial to change settings.

^^ and it's streamlight.
They makes tools, not toys.

Maybe the uv lights can spot ghosts? But it could certainly make the mist more interesting.

Last edited:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I don't have exact models on hand for you to look at, but I do know a few basic things for using a laser pointer to stargaze. Green is the best color, since our eyes are more sensitive to it. Cheap lasers usually will have very low power, and won't be able to shine through light pollution or poor conditions. A 5 milliwatt (mW) laser is considered the baseline for stargazing purposes, and it's a common choice because they are fairly cheap and can be used on dark nights with little light pollution (the best conditions for stargazing anyway). Higher mW also costs more, but will be more visible for a longer distance- this equates to more precise pointing and better visibility in worse conditions (high humidity/mist, light pollution, nearby house lights, etc.). Since you live on a coastline, you probably want something with a little more power to help deal with mist.

Good luck in your search! I hope this helps!

Tiburonsmoke

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. That's very helpful too. I don't want to spend that much, but I've seen reports on YouTube that lasers supplied from China can be many times more powerful than their stated rating. That's scary and encouraging at the same time. I'll go with green, on your advice, and buy the most powerful and safe 18650 laser I can find for £20.
I don't have exact models on hand for you to look at, but I do know a few basic things for using a laser pointer to stargaze. Green is the best color, since our eyes are more sensitive to it. Cheap lasers usually will have very low power, and won't be able to shine through light pollution or poor conditions. A 5 milliwatt (mW) laser is considered the baseline for stargazing purposes, and it's a common choice because they are fairly cheap and can be used on dark nights with little light pollution (the best conditions for stargazing anyway). Higher mW also costs more, but will be more visible for a longer distance- this equates to more precise pointing and better visibility in worse conditions (high humidity/mist, light pollution, nearby house lights, etc.). Since you live on a coastline, you probably want something with a little more power to help deal with mist.

Good luck in your search! I hope this helps!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is NICE. I've been wanting a aaa laser for a while- anyone know of one that's less expensive, doesn't have to be such a high quality brand or even 3aaa. One aaa would even be preferred. No high power star gazing requirements etc. All the low power cheap ones seem to have button cells.

I just picked up a Streamlight Multi-Ops 3aaa at an auto parts store in a 1 horse town for $58.

It's a 40 lumen flashlight with 5 uv LED's and a laser pointer.

^^ about the same size as a 6P
Came with a sheath you slide your belt through up to 2" easily (opening is 2-1/4") and a ring/lanyard combo like the other guys make you buy separate.
Soft on hi only clicky switch. A dial to change settings.

^^ and it's streamlight.
They makes tools, not toys.

Maybe the uv lights can spot ghosts? But it could certainly make the mist more interesting.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight offers a laser? Sold. Anyone have a link to the current boost/diode swap mod thread? :)