... most brightness and throw in a pocketable package!

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
Hi All :D

After lurking for a few years I am looking for a new flashlight. As I have a few decent EDC flashlights already and am totally happy with them now is the time for something "silly".
Essentially what I want is a "Pocket Throw Monster". I does not have to burn long, but it has to be VERY bright and throw far. Well, as much as that is possible for a "pocketable" light.
This is not because I actually NEED something like this but more for bragging rights (See? Mine is smaller AND brighter than all of yours!!!!1111eeleveneleven :D) And because I can ;)

What I found so far to more or less fit this description is the EagleTec TX25C. But I am sure you guys will know something even better, right?

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
(X) This will be ordered online (preferably from the EU due to shipping cost / customs charges).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
(X) Up to $200.

3) Format:
(X) I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
(X) TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
(X) SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
(X) LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
(X) As long as I do not need powertools and/or a soldering iron to make it work I'll be fine :D

7) What power source do you want to use?
(X) one or two of: CR123 / 16340 / 18350 / 18650

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
(X) I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
(X) I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).
(X) SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
(X) Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
(X) Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
(X) 150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
(X) 15+ minutes on high are sufficient (5+ minutes on TURBO if applicable)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
(X) Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
(X) In the end it does not matter, the other things are more important. I prefer tail mounted forward clicky. I do not like anything twisty.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
(X) I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
(X) I don't care as long as it is some kind of metal.

15) Water resistance
(X) IPX4 (Splash resistant) or betterr

16) Storage conditions
(X) In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
(X) Pocket clip, ideally bezel-down and removable

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. You wrote: "150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)"

Check out either a Nitecore TM16 or a TM36 Lite. The TM16 has flood (spill) and throw. The TM36 is for throw.

..............................................:welcome:

Last edited:

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
Hi Quack! Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions!

Welcome to CPF. You wrote: "150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)"
That is directly from the "Flashlight Recommendation Checklist, Mk II", not my own creation (well, the helicopter part anyways :)).

Check out either a Nitecore TM16 or a TM36 Lite. The TM16 has flood (spill) and throw. The TM36 is for throw.

Wow, the TM36 Lite looks awesome. Not sure if it is a bulky flashlight or a mace head though :p
Unfortunately both of them are a lot bigger that what I am looking for. Size of 2 x 16340 / 1 x 18650 is more like it.

TeaSipper

Newly Enlightened
The TM16/36 will certainly give him the light power but pockable? Maybe not. I have a Nitecore P36 that's 2000 lumens and a little smaller than a 2D cell job that can be pocketable. You might want to check that out. Good throw and spill makes it worthwhile. I like mine a lot.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The yet to be released Zebralight SC600 XPL-HI will be both tiny and throw a decent amount (I estimate around 320-340m throw).

Vinh has some modified pocket throw monsters, I'd check some of his lights out.

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
The TM16/36 will certainly give him the light power but pockable? Maybe not. I have a Nitecore P36 that's 2000 lumens and a little smaller than a 2D cell job that can be pocketable. You might want to check that out. Good throw and spill makes it worthwhile. I like mine a lot.

Thanks TeaSipper, that is much closer to what I was thinking about size-wise. Still a little too big, but much closer :)

The yet to be released Zebralight SC600 XPL-HI will be both tiny and throw a decent amount (I estimate around 320-340m throw).

Thanks Draven! The Zebra one looks nice ... need to check out Vinh's stuff now, brb :D

markr6

Flashaholic
Eagletac T25C2 with XP-L HI is my current goto small thrower. About 400 yards of throw in a nice sleek body; no crazy fat head.

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
If you're willing to deal with <1000 lm, check out a JETBeam RRT0SE.

It's a very nice pocket piece.

Thanks Quack, but I already got some Fenix PD35 that can do about 960 lm, so that one does not look very exciting :(

Eagletac T25C2 with XP-L HI is my current goto small thrower. About 400 yards of throw in a nice sleek body; no crazy fat head.

Thanks Mark! Seen that one as well, especially with that Kit that has all the extension tubes and filters. Interesting, but lets see if I can get it a little smaller still :)

The EC4S is crazy unreleased but not a crazy fat head.

Wow Quack, that is one NICE looking light, and the TechSpecs look great as well! Definately keeping that in my Watchlist, thanks!

Atm I am really intrigued by the TX25Cvn though (Thanks Draven for having me look at Vinh's work)...

Nothing's decided yet, keep it coming please :D

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing's decided yet, keep it coming please :D

Just FYI, the EC4 is more thrower than floody and the EC4S is more floody than thrower. The EC4 is a bit older and now, is much less expensive but the EC4S has more run-time so what ever is important, that will decided which light is your light.

I have the EC4 and I'm waiting on the release of the EC4S. I love the EC4.

Knijpkat

Newly Enlightened
Depending on your pockets size I would say the Olight SR mini. Not small, but for a 3x 18650 light it is small.

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
Just FYI, the EC4 is more thrower than floody and the EC4S is more floody than thrower. The EC4 is a bit older and now, is much less expensive but the EC4S has more run-time so what ever is important, that will decided which light is your light.

I have the EC4 and I'm waiting on the release of the EC4S. I love the EC4.

The lumens, the Lumens ... much "brighter" and more "floody" or "darker" and more "throwy" ... tough one. Need to get to a shop and try them both when they are available I guess :D

Depending on your pockets size I would say the Olight SR mini. Not small, but for a 3x 18650 light it is small.

Bright one, yes, small for its' Lumens, yes! But unfortunately Olightworld.us states: " A highly diffused acrylic lens emits a smooth floodlight for soft area lighting. This type of illumination is ideal for close-up applications that require more than a small focused beam of light."
Does not sound like what I am looking for at all...

recDNA

Flashaholic

Sounds right up my alley. I love ZL

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input folks.
I decided not to buy right away but wait for the first reviews of the Zebralight SC600 XPL-HI and the Nitecore EC4S.
Meanwhile I'll have a little "chat" with Mr. Nguyen I think.

If anyone has some more ideas: I am still open for suggestions :D

Latest posts