these bulbs have no heatsink?

nitebrite

Enlightened
I am seeing very cheap led bulbs everywhere. they are all plastic. between 5.5 and 9.9 watts. do these things have a heatsink under that plastic? if not doubt they last long but all have strong warranties. good bulbs for three times the price seem to still have large metal fins. has the technology gotten to where a minimal heatsink is required or these just junk that will fizzle out? however, they do not even get warm. I am baffled as to what is inside of these but see no was to take them apart. all glued. so what is the story with these?

thanks

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odds are they are junk. Even some of the cheaper metal heatsinked lose lumens or fail outright after a short time. Chances are those are some crap Chinese gimmick lights designed to attract people with little to no knowledge of LED lighting that just want to get in the LED bandwagon.

nitebrite

Enlightened
figured this. what can one expect for $1.88 for two bulbs lol. I would love to claim the warranty though. bet they do not honor it. that is really shady to build bulbs with little or no heat sink. guess you get what you pay for then! I think it is proven china does not always play fair.

thank you for replying.

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
Yep, it wasnt long ago that camping lanterns touted the use of rubbish leds, but they switched to cfl after the efficiency was looked into and found that leds arent always efficient. And you know eveything that comes out of china does exactly what it says on the tin.

billondrums

Newly Enlightened
The filament bulb designs that are hitting the market appear to have no heat sinks. The filament design can be an excellent solution to light dispersion problems that plagues so many LED bulbs. There are several things going on in this bulb. If we assume a sapphire on sapphire design then heat conducts from the sapphire stem to the base and then the glass bulb. The bulb may also be filled with a gas blend to maximize conduction. Chip flipping aids in all around light but many manufacturers use short cuts and inexpensive chips. Brand name is no guarantee of quality. See http://www.ledinside.com/news/2015/9/led_t8_tubes_tops_north_america_recall_lists_in_2015

SemiMan

Banned
Because it does not have a chunk of metal, does not mean there is not something that is effectively acting as a heatsink.

Philips Slimstyle, Cree 4Flow, etc. do not have traditional heatsinks and they do not need them. All they need is the copper on the PCB. When you are looking at 25K hour ratings, you can let the LEDs run pretty warm and still have them last.

w.r.t. Lanterns, even crappy LEDs out of China now are higher efficiency than CFL, longer life, etc. With the exception of old designs still marketed, you would be hard pressed to find a CFL lantern any more. When you can get really high quality LEDs at 50-60 lumens for $0.04, with little electronics to drive, you are not going to be using CFL.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been satisfied with exactly zero of the led house lighting dropin edison base bulbs I have tried. Perhaps there is a good one out there, but I've not found it yet.

Instead, I redid my bathroom with a pair of 35 watt COB fixtures with a big thick white diffuser panel in front of them. There is no bulb I found that can beat even one of them even running 8 of the shady led dropin bulbs! Edison base led bulbs and CFL bulbs are simply a stopgap measure, IMHO. It's high time the tech evolved, and I feel that some of that is getting away from a format intended for incan from day one.

Qship1996

Enlightened
There is a reason Cree cut their warranty from 10 years for the original bulb with heatsink to 5 years for the newer,cheaper 4 flow bulb without a heatsink........they obviously know it will not last as long.They are not stupid.

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
There is a reason Cree cut their warranty from 10 years for the original bulb with heatsink to 5 years for the newer,cheaper 4 flow bulb without a heatsink........they obviously know it will not last as long.They are not stupid.

Cheaper leds, less leds, driven harder for better light, no heatsink reduces the manufacture cost a lot. But like you say they degrade quicker, and are less efficient to start with, so they are far less efficient I should think 2 yesrs in, it isworth paying the extra I wonder what effect switching them off and on has?

Qship1996

Enlightened
I will gladly pay the extra buck or two more upfront to get the original cree bulbs with their 2X as long warranty over the new 4 flow cheapened version.Plus I hate the idea of the ventilation holes in the bulbs.....a insect and dust collector!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
In 10 years, we'll have better LEDs.

I'm sure Cree is geared up for planned obsolescence. Just a matter of time. :(

Qship1996

Enlightened
Sadly,I think Cree is playing to the ignorant consumer who shops on low price alone and therefor confuses price with true cost to own.....they pick the lowest price item on the shelf and think they got a "better deal". The Walmart shopper mentality.Never hits them that they buy low priced junk that needs to be replaced over and over vs purchasing quality at a slightly higher cost.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol!

I can hear it now: "But I had to buy you these Cree led bulbs! They were on sale! I thought you LIKED leds! What's wrong now?"

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a month ago I picked up three two-packs of the warm Philips LED 60W equivalents back when they were $5 for two at Home Depot. I installed them in three lamps and in our three-bulb kitchen area fixture. I've had no complaints, other than a slight buzz if the house is dead quiet and you stick your ear in the top of the lamp shade.

The startup lag time is zero, the color temp is great, and they were priced right. For as inexpensive as they are, I think you guys are being a little too demanding.