Review: Klarus FL1A: Signaling /Camp light with 4 colors, max. 65 lumens, XP-G2 (1A)

kj75

Enlightened
Klarus releases often interesting lamps with new, cool features. Now the FL1A is there: suited for camping, traveling and signaling. Also a good point: AA batteries are cheap and readily available. The FL1A has also an UV light on board, so we can name this torch really multifunctional.

Mr. Schiermeier (many thanks!) provided me one for testing ... so time for a closer look!

Klarus FL1A: multifunctional light
2va15i0.jpg

suited for travellers
290ph5c.jpg

easy to wear in or at your package
2cr2eky.jpg

Let's start with the (manufacturer) specs:

● One of smallest AA battery flashlights with multicolour output options
● Special diffuser designed to spread the flashlight beam, making it suitable as a
floodlight for short distance illumination or to light up an area inside a tent or house
● Incorporates a UV light which has the ability to identify fluorescent material.
Ideal lightweight, portable light for the detection of counterfeit banknotes
● Red and green light options provide a strong diffused beam useful for reading and
map reading in low light conditions
● Special alternating RED-GREEN flashing mode with 61 hours runtime offers a
combined lighting/ indicator/ signal function. Besides providing light, this function
will show your location and offer protection while hiking, jogging or running in
low-light conditions It is a good choice for children, the elderly and for everyday
use for recreation or while walking
● Strobe or SOS in White mode can be used for signaling or as a deterrent in emergency situations
● Patented side switch is convenient for easy one-handed operation
● Compact and lightweight, designed for everyday use
● Single AA Battery- readily available, economical and practical
● Constant current (not PWM) to prevent flickering
● IPX-8 rating (underwater 2 metres)- suitable for use in bad weather or wet environment
● Reverse Polarity Protection function will protect flashlight if battery is inserted in the wrong direction
● The UV function is shielded for eye protection

and the technical data:

● CREE XP-G2 1A LED with a lifespan of up to 50,000 hours
● Five lighting modes and 3 flashing modes for different requirements
● Material: Aluminum alloy
● Reflector: White Diffuser Lens
● Battery: 1 x AA battery
● Working Voltage: 0.9V-3.0V
● Circuit design :Booster constant current
● Dimensions: 91.5mm (Length) x 17.6mm (Body)x18mm(Head)
● Net weight: 24.6g (Excluding battery)
● Material: aluminum A6061-T6
● Switch: Waterproof silicon rubber
● Body: Military Grade Ha type III anodizing, Black
● Waterproof: IPX-8 rating (underwater 2 meters)

Unboxing:

The FL1A is delivered in a nice "gift box" in black and cream color. The box looks neat and sturdy. Inside we find the FL1A that is protected by white foam. Also be found here: a keychain ring, spare o-ring and a carabiner. Holster and batteries are not included. Conclusion: A nice box, but Klarus has not added that much to save costs. Please scroll down for some pictures…
Thanks also to mr. Schiermeier for the perfect shipping!

nice giftbox
2ni45zk.jpg

inside: the FL1A, protected by foam
widj4.jpg

the contents: FL1A, key-ring, spare o-ring, carabiner and user manual
n71fsm.jpg

Impressions:

A rather small lamp, about the size of a finger. Striking is the transparent "diffuser-head" that has built- in 4 different LED's: white in the middle, and red, green, and UV (which has its own lens) around. Overall, the (build)quality is good: Beautiful, matte black color, good anodizing and well finished. Unfortunately, the threads are not greased, but you can do it yourself. As expected, the FL1A fits well in the hand and the power button is easy to find in the dark. However, the light hasn't anti-roll: a traveller-light should have this! I resolved by adding the carabiner or the keyring. Inside it looks ok: It's a bit hard to insert the cell because of the lack of a tailcap. Now, tightening the head is a rather heavy job. But, overall, a well finished and good quality light, like earlier Klarus lights I had before. For more impressions, please have a look at the photos!

tiny beauty
348lnvq.jpg

well finished
28sy3hz.jpg

powered by readily available AA-cells
2btv0h.jpg

there's a cut-out to add the keyring or the carabiner
ftmvpy.jpg

the diffusor brings white floodlight, also SOS and Strobe are on-board
2lw7w4k.jpg

red light suited for (map)reading
smswhk.jpg

it looks well-finished
28s0h3k.jpg

no grease at the threads
20h3j0x.jpg

the battery tube
2vwhizl.jpg

a typical head, the UV-led has its own lens
6jqbtg.jpg

red / green flashing mode: safety while running or walking
jr8boz.jpg

as keychain: no problem!
2mx1qbb.jpg

safe locked with the carabiner
2v0y42r.jpg

recommended: rechargeable AA-cells
8xlvty.jpg

UV-light to detect counterfeits
2m6rfbo.jpg

User interface:

The FL1A has one switch for all modes: You need a long press to activate and deactivate, and a short to cycle through the modes. Because only the white light has memory that FL1A always starts in the last used white mode. The special modes are "hidden": a double-click in white mode activates strobe, red / green flashing in red constant mode and UV in the green constant-mode. Good point: the FL1A has direct strobe: can be activated by a double click from off. So, the interface is not that difficult in my opinion, the button is easily recognizable and has a clear pressure point. Unfortunately FL1A doesn't start in last used mode (except white).

Modes:

The light turns on in white mode, in order of HIGH> LOW, then you get (by a short click) RED > GREEN > and again WHITE HIGH. A double-click in white brings STROBE > press once in strobe-mode to get SOS. A double click in RED will bring RED / GREEN flashing mode, and double-click in GREEN mode activates UV-light . A short click in flashing or UV activates white normal mode again. And then we still have also the instant Strobe: a double-click when the light is off. Strange that the FL1A has no red flashing. IMO, this is a better warning-mode.

Beamprofile:

Thanks to the diffusor-head, we can expect a "flooder". This is clearly visible when we're lighting up a white wall. Looking at the beamshots will show you the white beam is "interrupted" by the UV-lens. The tint is cool white, for a camping lantern I would prefer a neutral one.

Below a comparison to the Fenix E99Ti and Klarus RS20

the tint compared
ogx568.jpg

Size comparison:

The FL1A here in comparison to the Fenix LD09, and after that to its RS20 brother

AA-cell, Fenix LD09 and Klarus FL1A
2eol17d.jpg

Fenix LD09 and Klarus FL1A
fdwtio.jpg

Fenix LD09 and Klarus FL1A
358v2aw.jpg

the heads
90umnp.jpg

and the tails
2m5cyh1.jpg

together with the RS20-brother
20p9df9.jpg

nox1c3.jpg

Beamshots:

First, the light's beam projected on a white wall. This time, the FL1A close to the wall.

Camera settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec
mud3ig.jpg

68wqvd.jpg

idykuo.jpg

2khis0.jpg

2mfdc49.jpg

And now, the outdoor beamhots:

This time, not real "outdoors". I positioned the lamp on a table in a camper. The color modes are really low, the green color radiates most.

Camera settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4.0 sec, 35mm
21a9v1y.jpg

9iu0c8.jpg

e8smxs.jpg

b8wbdf.jpg

2klgzc.jpg

Conclusion:

The FL1A is a nice traveller-light, but no real flashlight. It lights up just a few meters. This makes the FL1A an ideal signal lamp for hikers, while reading and in the. But not for kids, as Klarus says: In the manual warns Klarus for the dangers of UV light ....
Therefore, for adults, a nice and good quality light that can be hidden in every pocket or on every bag. Powering is no problem: A blister of about batteries that you can have for only 2 euros can be sufficient during a whole journey. I still have some wishes: memory for each mode, neutral white tint and red flashing mode.
On holiday I'll take with the FL1A with me!

Klarus FL1A provided for review

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: Klarus F1A: Signaling /Camp light with 4 colors, max. 65 lumens, XP-G2 (

● Battery: 1 x AA battery
● Working Voltage: 0.9V-3.0V
Seems odd that it goes up to 3.0v and not 4.2v. So no 14500 compatibility?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: Klarus F1A: Signaling /Camp light with 4 colors, max. 65 lumens, XP-G2 (

There's the Titanium Innovations CR14505 CRAA 3V Lithium AA Sized Battery, I suppose? Wonder if it's brighter if you feed it 3.0v since they claim it'll take it? Unfortunately, it wants a 2.0v cutoff. Guess that's out too (in the name of safety.)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Superior to the silly Nitecore and Eagletac "police flasher" modes. :)

An LEO friend of mine watched me demonstrate how to activate it on an Eagletac Color. You must twist the head from loosest to tightest eight times! He voiced a very grave concern about its usability, and I agree with him.

These colors are regulated on vehicles in the US, but not on flashlights afaik.

Oh well. The more weird modes the merrier! :)

kj75

Enlightened

An LEO friend of mine watched me demonstrate how to activate it on an Eagletac Color. You must twist the head from loosest to tightest eight times! He voiced a very grave concern about its usability, and I agree with him.

Eagtac has improved the interface at their recent light. Yes, the Klarus interface is much better.

These colors are regulated on vehicles in the US, but not on flashlights afaik.

In my region, red flashing is needed. Green isn't a warning color.