Tigerlight with UCL or UCLLDF

Manila

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Tigerlight users

can you please advise which lens will be better for use on a Tigerlight?

Thank you!

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
UCL is better more brighter and more distance. You wouldn't want use LDF because it will provide you smooth beamshot but short distance.

Harrkev

Enlightened
This is like asking what is a better tool: a screwdriver or a hammer. If your problem is a nail, use the hammer. If your problem is a screw, use the screwdriver.

LDF - smoother beam, less thro
UCL - Max throw, some beam artifacts.

I have plenty of lights for close-up work. I grab the Tigerlight when I want to throw a beam far away. I would go for the UCL. Your usage may differ, though.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
What they said.....

The LDF will really kill your throw. It WILL allow just about as much overall light through, but it will be in the form of a really smooth hotspot with a lot more spill. The LDF could almost be considered a flood converter.

Charles M

Newly Enlightened
Somewhere I read about breakage problems using glass lenses in the Tigerlight. Is this an issue?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles M,

The breakage problem has been fixed, or very nearly so, as far as I can tell. I have one of the thicker UCL's in my TL and it's been fine. I haven't dropped it on concrete yet, though . . .

Manila,

Come on, you should know better than to ask a question like that . . . I would suggest that you (drum roll please)

BUY BOTH!

Seriously, why not grab both of them? They're not that expensive $8, $10, something like that. For a twenty spot you can have both of them flying to your door, and then you can install whichever one is best for your current mood/use.

FWIW.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
js - You were one of the testers for the 3mm lens, right? I don't have any of those in stock yet. I'm still trying to determine if they are going to work in everyone's TL.

Charles M

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like, then, that I shouldn't put in my TL any of the new glass lenses that I just ordered from flashlightlens.com.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Charles - You can use them. The design of the Tigerlight makes the lens a little less snug than other lights, which allows it to impact the inside of the head when it encounters a shock - like hitting concrete or somthing with no give. Try pushing on the lens in a TL sometime. You'll see that it pushes in rather easily. This is because the entire lamp assembly is resting on a rubber tube, that acts like a shock absorber. Unfortunately, what's good for the LA is bad for the glass lens. If you break one, let me know.

Latest posts