Olight SR52UT Intimidator (XP-L Hi, 3x 18650/6x CR123A) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
se4pqd.jpg

2060ob8.jpg

The new Olight SR52UT Intimidator is a updated version of their older SR52 Intimidator. The SR52UT features a Cree XP-L High Intensity led and has USB-charging option.
With a really smooth reflector combined with the XP-L HI led, the SR52UT has a max beam distance of 800 meters. Max output is 1100 lumens.

The packaging:

Like many of Olight top models, the SR52UT comes in a nice sturdy plastic case. Cut-out foam on the inside protects the light when stored or during transport.
On the outside of the case, you'll find some highlights and specifications of the light.

o77zn5.jpg
2u62u7d.jpg

At the back of the case you can see the SR52UT comes in two versions, with or without includes batteries. My sample is the without version.

Inside the case you'll find: the SR52UT, a manual, holster, micro-USB cable, USB vehicle power adapter (12V), spare o-rings and a Olight product brochure.

30cm2hs.jpg

Features and Specifications: (given by Olight)

KEY FEATURES

• Features a CREE XP-L HI LED, maximum output of 1100 lumens, and a beam distance of 800m.
  • Three brightness levels plus a strobe mode: 1100 lumens, 550 lumens, 80 lumens, and a 10Hz strobe mode.
  • 99% light transmittance rate through the tempered glass lens that features a two-sided anti-reflective coating.
  • Built-in charging circuit for the 18650 rechargeable lithium ion batteries through a built-in micro USB charging port on the body of the flashlight.
  • Heat sink body design allows more efficient heat dissipation.
  • Features three parallel battery compartments including reverse polarity protection to prevent improper battery installation.
  • Powered by an 18650 battery featuring a protection board with a bulged battery positive end.
  • Wide input voltage range from 3-9 volts compatible with CR123 batteries but CANNOT be charged inside the light.
  • Flat tail cap providing the ability to place it upside down.
  • Lanyard hole on the end of the tail cap.
  • Anti-scratch type III hard anodizing aluminum body.

SPECIFICATIONS

• Lens: Tough ultra-clear tempered glass with anti-reflective coating.
  • Light Source: 1x Cree XP-L HI CW LED
  • Dimensions: 6.3 in/161.5 mm (Length), 2.48 in/63mm (Bezel Diameter), 14.3 oz/405 g (Weight excluding batteries)
  • Body Material: Type-III hard anodized aluminum
  • Battery Source: 3x 18650
  • Warranty: Olight's 5 year warranty

MSRP: $119.95

The manual gives information on specs, user interface and more. Always handy to read before usage ;)

2yo699x.jpg

34yvjm8.jpg

16ga8w6.jpg

The includes holster protects the light nicely. At the back there is a fixed loop and a D-ring for attachment. The light only fits head-up in the holster.

15dmkq9.jpg
sexegx.jpg

6z67ok.jpg
2po875y.jpg

2rr566r.jpg
2z6z0oi.jpg

The SR52UT physically didn't change from the SR52. Large checkered knurling provides enough grip. A thick black bezel protects the glass lens. The lens as a anti-reflective coating to let as much light
out possible. On the side of the light, there is the micro-USB port for in-light charging. Next to the USB-port is a led-indicator which functions as low-voltage indicator as well as a charging indicator.
When the batteries reach a low voltage the indicator starts to blink red, indicating you should charge. When charging you've a solid red during charging and a solid green when fully charged.
Laser engraving is sharp and pure white. Heatsink-fins around the switch area take care of the heat. Slots in the head act as anti-roll feature.

2mq6xhk.jpg

As you may expect, the blue o-ring has glow-in-the-dark (GITD) powder on it. Which helps you find the light at night, a little bit better :)

Down the large smooth reflector sits a Cree XP-L High Intensity led. My sample came with a perfectly centered led.

i1w7yc.jpg

2u6zer7.jpg
288p9w5.jpg

301j2vp.jpg

Lets take a closer look at the micro-USB charging port.

eqnngz.jpg
2dir3pt.jpg

A sliding port cover keeps water and dust out during use. Make sure that the cover is fully closed when you use the light.

4tlnyr.jpg
11wdf7o.jpg

A look down the battery compartment. Large polarity indicator shows you how the batteries must be inserted. All batteries go with the positive-end towards the head.
Button-tops are required. Olight notes flat-tops won't work (or not correctly). Due to the battery configuration, it's possible to run the SR52UT on 1x 18650 in emergency.
The tailcap has two holes for a lanyard attachment.

Threads are very well cut and came lubed out of the box. The SR52UT only opens at the tail.
The treads are square-cut and anodized which allows for a physical lockout. It's also possible to lockout the light electronically.

e0luzr.jpg

User Interface:

A single click will turn the light On. Click again to turn the light Off.
When On, press and hold the button to cycle between Low > Med > High. When you reach your desired mode, release the button.
The light has mode memory for the brightness modes.
A quick double click will select Strobe. When in Strobe, a single click will exit Strobe. A double click from Off, will also select Strobe.

The SR52UT has a electronic lockout. From Off press and hold the switch for about 2 seconds. The light will turn On and Off, indicating lockout has been activated.
To exit lockout, press and hold the button for 1 second.

Size comparison:

1hwyc.jpg

Olight 18650, Thrunite TN36, Fenix LD75C, Olight SR52UT

SR52 and SR52UT side-by-side,

mj48z7.jpg

Indoor Beamshots/ Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, F/5.6, 1/100 sec - Canon 500D - Light approx 30cm/ camera 1m in front of wall.

2vl1ksh.jpg
2nsltft.jpg
2eeajxe.jpg

24vpba9.jpg
vdix61.jpg
zo742u.jpg

ISO400, F/5.6, 2 sec - Canon 500D

vz7uyg.jpg
2ihy1x1.jpg

Positives and Negatives:

In this new section I give my quick view on +'s and -'s.

+ Size/Weight/Output ratio
+ Heatsink
+ Overall built
+ USB charging option

- May become heavy during extensive use
- Needs button-top batteries

Conclusion:

This updated version takes the SR52 a step further. Throw has improved a lot while keeping a beautiful white tint. Leds without a dome tent to have a greenish tint, but that's not the case with the XP-L Hi led used
in this light. With a simple UI and USB-charging option, it's even a light for non-flashaholics who need a thrower. Optional you can buy the SR51/SR52 diffuser, to eliminate the throw and have more of a flood beam.
Built quality is solid and with a good heatsink, this light will run till the batteries are empty.

SR52UT Intimidator was supplied by Adola for review, on behalf of Olight.

Last edited:

akhyar

Enlightened
Thanks for the review.
For a light that uses 3 18650 cells (although can still operate with 1), I would have thought at least 2k lumens is more appropriate.

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review.
For a light that uses 3 18650 cells (although can still operate with 1), I would have thought at least 2k lumens is more appropriate.
2000 lumens from one XP-L (HI) (or even XM-L2) isn't possible. These leds max out around 1000 lumens. Driving the led harder will sacrifice the led lifetime.

akhyar

Enlightened
I was thinking Olight might want to upgrade the LED to MT-G2 or XHP 50 when the refresh the SR52

kj2

Flashaholic
I was thinking Olight might want to upgrade the LED to MT-G2 or XHP 50 when the refresh the SR52
I assume they thought about that, but those leds will give more a flood beam instead of a throw beam. SR52 with a XHP50 would be like a bigger sized SR Mini, but with less lumens.

akhyar

Enlightened
I assume they thought about that, but those leds will give more a flood beam instead of a throw beam. SR52 with a XHP50 would be like a bigger sized SR Mini, but with less lumens.

Understandable, as those 2 emitters are not known to be throwy, so they might have to drop the UT from the name if they choose the bigger emitter.

kj75

Enlightened
At the back of the case you can see the SR52UT comes in two versions, with or without includes batteries.

Strange, IMO, a rechargeable light in a version without cells...:thinking:

Thanks for the review!

kj2

Flashaholic
Strange, IMO, a rechargeable light in a version without cells...:thinking:

Thanks for the review!

Well it gives the flashaholic the choice you use their own batts and pay little bit less, and the non-flashaholic can buy a complete package.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
excellent reviews and awesome photos kj2!! SR52UT is a beast! I wish I knew what the difference is between the emitters in the SR52UT and the M3XS-UT that causes such a vast difference in tint. Any ideas?

kj2

Flashaholic
excellent reviews and awesome photos kj2!! SR52UT is a beast! I wish I knew what the difference is between the emitters in the SR52UT and the M3XS-UT that causes such a vast difference in tint. Any ideas?

My M3XS-UT has a dedomed XP-L and my SR52UT has a true XP-L HI led.
Dedoming always causes a green-yellowish tint and it looks like Cree solved it, with the HI version.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow! I did not know there are M3XS-UT's that are true de domes I know mine is a true XP-L HI examined the emitter with magnifying glasses dftly has the square wafer over it yet its still near halogen like in tint. Do you know what bin the SR52UT XP-L HI is V3 maybe?

Nuclear Cowboy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for taking the time to do this. This light could be in my future. I'm in the market for a for a Coke can thrower. Right now the Thrunite TN32 and this one are on the radar.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for taking the time to do this. This light could be in my future. I'm in the market for a for a Coke can thrower. Right now the Thrunite TN32 and this one are on the radar.

Same here...this one is on my lis. I finally decided the 4x18650 lights are not for me. Too bulky and heavy. 3x18650 is the limit and comfortable in my hand. Very tempted by this light. I'm not real excited about the UI, but I think this kind of light will be used on high 99% of the time :)

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
The specifications for this light states it has a wide input voltage range from 3-9 volts. I tried mine with 2,4 and 6 AW18350 cells (8.40V) and only had access to LOW and STROBE. I discontinued my test after seeing it would not cycle through the other levels (MED and HIGH). Has anybody tried using something other than 18650's in their light, did it function properly?

Artivideo

Newly Enlightened
Today I received my brand new SR52UT with Olight 3400 mA batteries. To be honest I am very very disappointed. First of all the corona around the hotspot is much bigger than what I see on various website reviews including the one on this site. Also the throw is about the same as my Nitecore EA41 (1040 lumen). The difference between mid and high level is marginal. I am already thinking of returning it. Probably the nitecore TN36 UT would have been a better choice. Really a pity because it is such nice build flashlight with build in charger. Conclusion never believe reviews, they probably get special samples from the manufacturer.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received my brand new SR52UT with Olight 3400 mA batteries. To be honest I am very very disappointed. First of all the corona around the hotspot is much bigger than what I see on various website reviews including the one on this site. Also the throw is about the same as my Nitecore EA41 (1040 lumen). The difference between mid and high level is marginal. I am already thinking of returning it. Probably the nitecore TN36 UT would have been a better choice. Really a pity because it is such nice build flashlight with build in charger. Conclusion never believe reviews, they probably get special samples from the manufacturer.

Either you got a faulty light or the batteries are not properly charged. With fully charged cells the high mode is significantly brighter than mid mode. But even at mid mode SR52UT will totally outthrow EA41, no question about that.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Difference between mid and high is really noticeable. Or you're experience it differently. My review sample is just like any other SR52UT. Nothing special about it.