carclo optic differences

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i was checking out this page http://www.ledsupply.com/cree-xml2-led-optics and trying to pick out an optic for my first build in a while. i have vesture of blood build a lot of my customs but i wanna do my own just for fun now that I'm learning about all the new led's that are out in the last few years. can anyone tell me how to manipulate the beam to how i want it. what does the narrow, medium and wide beam optic do. i assume it shapes the beam so it is a larger hotspot? almost like it was a larger die to begin with?

what would the difference be with a reflector and a plaln tight spot optic? why use an optic instead of a reflector if you want a thrower flashlight?

what does a frosted, ripple, or elliptical option do?

why would i want a 20mm instead of a 26mm optic? whats the difference if they're both made for a tight or wide beam yet are different sizes?

Thanks in advance for all the help,
jason

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend looking at the Carclo datasheets, but they don't seem to provide datasheets that show the beam profile. I did find an old publication from Carclo that explains some of their terminology...
https://www.led-tech.de/produkt-pdf/carclo/carclo_optics.pdf

My tendency is to use Ledil optics, usually purchased from Mouser.com or Digikey.com. They have links to the Ledil datasheet that has the beam profiles.
It will also show the difference between treatments (frosted, ripple, etc) as well as different beam angles.

Generally, if a manufacturer can't be bothered to provide a full description of what their product is or what it does, I usually don't use it.

Harold_B

Enlightened
Go directly to the Carclo website and each optic will have a spec sheet and beam images with multiple LEDs. Most useful are the IES files available for download. Grab an IES file viewer from a luminaire manufacturer or reseller site (they are usually free) and you can view the polar plots and a lot more.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried out most of the carlco narrow 20mm optics with the previous generations of LEDs. Xpg, XML, nichia 219, even with xpe2. I remember not being satisfied with any of the beams. It would produce squarish beams, or beams with strange artifact patterns. I experimented with different heights too, but was difficult to get a beam I liked. These are for the narrow optics. The narrow optics also seem very picky about what led its used with.

For the frosted, or rippled optics the beams were smooth, but doesn't offer much throw. If you want a floody beam, those are fine.

For a couple of my lights, I'm using a 10 degree, 20mm optic from intl-outdoor. It works well with xml2, xpg2 and xpe2. Im using them with xpe2 emitters, and the beam is very similar to some surefires such as the e1b or lx2.
The beam isn't perfectly smooth, but it has really good throw for a small bezel size light.
I actually have a couple more of these optics coming, and plan on modding some quarks to be throwers.

The difference between optics and reflectors for me is, I can get more throw from a smaller diameter head, or shorter head with an optic, opposed to a reflector.
The beams are usually smoother towards the edge of the spill too, where it gradually fades. Instead of having a distinct edge like what a reflector produces.