EDC for LEO Backup

TORCHrider

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for an EDC that I can carry everyday as a backup to my duty light. I would like something small enough to carry in my uniform or jeans pocket but also have reasonable reach for tracking in wooded areas - maybe 500L? My duty light runs on an 18650 but I am willing to look at any power source. Size, durability and brightness are key. Price is not too big an issue but assuming I can get something nice for under $100? Thanks for your help.

Charlie Fox

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up Both a Streamlight Protac HL and the 2L for work. The HL is crazy bright and the 2L is very pocketable. Both run 2 CR123 and together would probably both be under $100 from the jungle place on line.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind a 6 minute runtime and a pocket rocket that can literally burn your fingers within 2 minutes, we've got modders here who do direct drive blasters.

Were I still a uniform guy, without question I'd be packing a Vinh Option D. :)

Wow, my flashlights were garbage back then. Some of the Operators would call me a Fobbit for packing an AAx2 Minimag. (lol, "shamed" by 60 lumens! :) )

I toted the mm due to easy replacement cost and the thought that maybe nobody wanted to swipe it for not being a Surefire? Oh well, never got stolen.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight S30RII.

Slim and uniform body, all included light.
Drop on charger every other day, or as needed.
It screams, Detective!☺
Just kidding.
Good luck with what ever you choose.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an Eagletac D25A for my backup and run it on 14500. It has plenty of output on that source with great run times on the lower modes.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll start by asking what the user interface is on your duty light. Training is what we revert to under stress. I'd make a recommendation for something with similar/identical ui for backup and off duty carry. Just my $.02... :)

Hate to have you grab for your backup and expect one thing when you push the button or twist the tailcap, and get something completely different.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lego'd Quark Tactical Burst Mode - 750 lm, 16340, programmable 2 mode (loose/tight bezel UI), forward momentary clicky (not shown), long US warranty/CS, ~$70. (Clip is from an Olight Baton)

20996895662_53deb8e91e.jpg

TORCHrider

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great responses. Apparently there are a lot to choose from. I better get busy. My current light (Surefire) has the on/off switch on the tail cap. If you have any additional lights you think I should look at let me know.

Thanks!

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lego'd Quark Tactical Burst Mode - 750 lm, 16340, programmable 2 mode (loose/tight bezel UI), forward momentary clicky (not shown), long US warranty/CS, ~$70. (Clip is from an Olight Baton)

20996895662_53deb8e91e.jpg

Is that a QT2L-X head with an L series single 123 body and a Pro tail? I assume a 16340 would work with the Tactical tail cap as well...?

What kind of runtime do you get on that combination?

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a QT2L-X head with an L series single 123 body and a Pro tail? I assume a 16340 would work with the Tactical tail cap as well...?

What kind of runtime do you get on that combination?

Mine's a Pro head with reverse clicky. I basically use moonlight and low ~95% of the time, and then a momentary-max-from-on "switch," usually from low (and only for seconds at a time). IIRC, it uses ~3/15/2000 ma on 0.25/4/750 lms, or ~180/37/0.28 hrs, respectively, on a 550 mah 16340. With ML and L driving my runtime, a single cell can last me a long time.

Any clicky works with any head or battery, it's just the head/battery that needs to be paired correctly for voltage.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's a Pro head with reverse clicky. I basically use moonlight and low ~95% of the time, and then a momentary-max-from-on "switch," usually from low (and only for seconds at a time). IIRC, it uses ~3/15/2000 ma on 0.25/4/750 lms, or ~180/37/0.28 hrs, respectively, on a 550 mah 16340. With ML and L driving my runtime, a single cell can last me a long time.

Any clicky works with any head or battery, it's just the head/battery that needs to be paired correctly for voltage.

Thanks for the response. This single battery combo looks like a winner for sure!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Elzetta alpha.

If all else fails you can bean the bad guy in the back of the head if your throwing skills allow it.

Then when you have 'em in cuffs, pick the light up and give 'em a good eye zap and yell "WHY'D YOU MAKE ME THROW THE ELZETTA MAN?!?"

dpadams6

Newly Enlightened
Elzetta alpha.

If all else fails you can bean the bad guy in the back of the head if your throwing skills allow it.

Then when you have 'em in cuffs, pick the light up and give 'em a good eye zap and yell "WHY'D YOU MAKE ME THROW THE ELZETTA MAN?!?"
Do you have an alpha? I'm seriously considering getting one. They look real nice.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I'll start by asking what the user interface is on your duty light. Training is what we revert to under stress. I'd make a recommendation for something with similar/identical ui for backup and off duty carry. Just my $.02... :)

Hate to have you grab for your backup and expect one thing when you push the button or twist the tailcap, and get something completely different.

Lots of wisdom in this. I'm not an LEO but I hate it when I have to stop and think "how does this thing work?" Or fumble through a bunch of modes to find the one I want.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Do you have an alpha? I'm seriously considering getting one. They look real nice.

I have one arriving any day now.

Look up the Malkoff MDC, and the Elzetta alpha at flash light guide before you decide. The alpha is not a real great thrower like the Malkoff.

Malkoff gives you options for battery types, and are very, very well made. Plus you can replace the head or LED if you want to tailor it to your wants/needs.
The Alpha uses a 123 battery and isn't as mod friendly as the Malkoff.

Both are fine lights. I chose the alpha for of all things, the hi/lo tail cap feature. Twist it from tight a few degrees and it turns (and stays) on low. And me personally, am not into modding every light I own.

Edit:

The Elzetta arrived.
I guess you can say "Z" is their favorite letter of the alphabet.

Pocket size for sure

^^ alpha vs the 6P

^^ the alpha vs a Coast HP1

The Malkoff MD2 I have does the hi/lo on the head. But it's a 2- 123 cell or 1- 18650 cell so it may be a bit larger than what you prefer.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus you can replace the head or LED if you want to tailor it to your wants/needs.
Having a future-proof light is a major positive. It provides a lower cash barrier to upgrade so you're not tempted to stick with an obsolete emitter. It's why the P60 system rocks so much.

Latest posts