Fenix BT30R

flash415

Newly Enlightened
i ride with the Fenix BC30 on my handlebars as a flood. It has very similar specs as the BT30, and is $50 less expensive. I prefer using 18650 batteries and I carry a couple extra sets for longer rides. For fast night rides, I recommend complementing a flood light on your bars with a helmet light which has good throw...the BC30 is only good on its own to about 25 mph...after that you have a very little reaction time.

I am thinking about getting this Fenix BT30R for my bike light. Does anyone have any experience with this light ?
http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-bt30r-rechargeable-bike-light/

Or any other suggestions on a bike light that I could get

500 lumens
3 hr run time

Thanks,
Mike

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks flash
I rarely go over 25 anyway....only on down hill decent's.
I am wanting to replace my Fenix L2D's I have been using two of them. They work fine but I what some more power. I would assume that the BC30 is going to give me more light ?
I like the idea of extra batteries also....
What else can you tell me about the BC30 ?

Thanks,
Mike

flash415

Newly Enlightened
What else can you tell me about the BC30 ?

Based on what I saw on the L2D specs, the BC30 will be huge performance improvement. Your L2Ds give a max output of 215lumens. The BC30 does 1200 lumens sustained with 1800 burst (with the included remote). I ride with the 1200 mode almost always at night, with the flashing mode during the day. The flashing mode is a bit of a slow interval, which doesn't gain much attention, but it also doesn't blind people as some quicker flash modes can.

As for planning on keeping it at 500 lumens, I think once you see the 1200,you won't want to use a lower mode unless you are low on battery power. In than case, spend $30 an buy a 4 pack of 18650s for swapping and you shouldn't run out of batteries on most rides. The remote button is pretty cool to flash when you need to get extra attention quickly.

The light is very sturdy and well built. It's not an ultra compact, but it does not get in the way on the bars. the mount is easy to remove and the light pops off separately too.

You'll get about 1.25-1.5 hours on two 18650s...the light has an low battery indicator. Simply pop in a couple more and you'll reach your desired 3 hour output requirement. Bring a second light as backup too!

I recommend bright red flashers ...I ride with Metrolights on my helmet and seatpost (2xAAA each). A police officer even complimented on my visibility tonight!

The BC30 is more flood than throw, but with a helmet light you can achieve throw. I believe a two light combo is ideal for night riding that involves any type of frequent turns or glances when a bar light won't illuminate where you are actually looking.

have fun night riding!

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
I went ahead and bought the BC30
I decided it would be ALOT better than what I am running with the two L2Ds
I bought it from the Fenix Store
They are on sale for $69.00 and I found a 20% discount coupon.....I saved $30.00. That was to good to pass up.
I bought the BC30 , Fenix charger and 4 3400 batteries.

Cant wait till I get it :) I will report back with a small review.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even thought I don't ride at the moment ( short term ) Im really excited about Fenixes current bike specific entry into the market. Keep us posted!

akrejci

Newly Enlightened
Are you able to post that coupon code so someone else may use it?

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
I don't think I will do that....not sure of the rules here but
If you google it " Fenix Discount Code" you will find it easy enough :thumbsup: