In the interest of not turning my new flashlight into a fire bomb, are there NiMh ...

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
.... in the size and output of the 18650s and the CR123a? :confused: I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

I ordered flashlights before I was aware of the danger of these lithium batteries. One flashlight I ordered runs off (1) CR123a and the other flashlight takes (2) CR123a or (1) 18650. Am I being too paranoid? Is there any danger using just one battery?... or should I just go with something proven and safe like the NiMh ?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, lithium paranoia strikes again! :)

For max safety: Just use the cr123 in the single battery light. This configuration is safe unless you start doing blatantly bad things. :)

In the 18650 light, just use 18650. It's too easy for a noob to mess up cr123x2.

Lights with just one battery are the safest because the battery cannot become unbalanced with itself leading to an event.

Keep water out of your light. Don't short these batteries. Respect correct polarity.

You'll be fine.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only concern imo about using 2 CR123 batteries in series is if you only replace a single cell and insert fresh cell with a depleted one. Stay with a name branded battery and you won't have a problem.

As for 18650 batteries, use a protected battery. They stop working once the voltage drops below 3.0 volts or so. The only caution is that you don't leave rechargeable lithium batteries in a hot vehicle as the heat will shorten the life of the battery.

I leave a Surefire 6P loaded with Surefire CR123 batteries in both my wagon and truck in a small insulated pack. Never had a problem. Can't say the same thing for any alkaline powered light left in the vehicle. The NiMH batteries like Eneloops are a good choice, but don't have the same capacity as do lithium celled lights. Besides my Fenix TK41's I've got a few small EDC lights that are also NiMH powered and have to recharge them every couple of weeks with minimal use.

ven

Flashaholic
Cant add to the excellent advice....

KeepPower/Olight 3400 protected 18650 will do the job nicely. Efest 3400 are a good value option too, all have panasonic inside with their own PCB's(protection).

Job done other than a good charger, be it a nitecore or Xtar to take care of your cells.

Certainly nothing to worry about and at least your aware of the brands to avoid *****fire . Now i have had *****fire chargers and cells years back and issue free. Just the mah and quality is hit/miss and often issues are caused by misuse or over discharging/charging/shorts.........

Decent charger helps limit the charge issues, most decent lights now warn you in one way or another the cell is getting low. Be it lack of turbo or high modes to flashing indicators etc . Worse case a protected cell will trip..........

Enjoy your light/s and just use common sense regarding cell/light/charger use and happy days;)

Single cell lights are a doddle , more care needs to be taken in multi cell lights, matching sets for a start(not different brands/mah/age) but a little read up and its still a doddle. Just treat all cells the same, with care and respect and if unsure just ask......no such thing as stupid Q's , just expect stupid answers:p
Also if light permits, lock out when not in use to prevent any potential cell drain(most is negligible anyway but also prevents accidental activation). Not all lights allow a lock out, however usually a 1/4 turn of the tail cap will lock it out......
;)

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Thanks for the great advice. I have a bit more confidence going forward! I did however jump the gun and bought two Ultrafire 18650s and charger off Amazon (before I found all the burning kitchen and fried limbs threads). It was like $5 shipped and I'm thinking, wow, that's a good deal! Now I know better.

I'll follow up once I get the lights and batteries! :)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 batts + charger, $5 = guaranteed junk. Don't use that charger. In a single battery light, you might yet get some use from the house-on-fire batteries. The main problem with Ultrafire batteries is quality, counterfeiting, lies about capacity.

Don't miss the "Ultrafire filled with flour" fiasco.

This sort of crap makes me insane and it's why I'll never buy an Ultrafire branded battery. The lights might be okay. Avoid the chargers.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great advice. I have a bit more confidence going forward! I did however jump the gun and bought two Ultrafire 18650s and charger off Amazon (before I found all the burning kitchen and fried limbs threads). It was like $5 shipped and I'm thinking, wow, that's a good deal! Now I know better.

I'll follow up once I get the lights and batteries! :)

Hey , no shame ,most have been there and at least you have called in here and found out............how many 1000's dont have a clue!!!!

Nice 2 bay charger, recommend a xtar vp2 or slightly cheaper vp1 which are great chargers. Cheaper, maybe the vc2+ ........

For a 4 bay charger imo the opus BTC-3100 v2.2 is hard to beat.........$32 from gearbest.

Couple of cells for now, one in light, one for a quick swap and charge up so not left in the dark

As the flashlights bite down the line, more cells and lights are probably not far away so maybe plan a little ahead. Hence 4 bay charger for that extra flexibility come times when several cells are on charge. Jumping the gun a little, just something to think about if you can see yourself buying more lights. Good thrower, nice flooder, different EDC types and good all round lights. Then work type, be them beater or specific types,different tints for colour rendition etc etc ............its quite a journey and a fun one.

Goinggear,illumn supply, mtn electronics are just some that spring to mind (there are more)if your USA for reputable shops........

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only buy high quality brand Li-ion cells like AW, Eagletac, Keeppower, 4Sevens, Fenix, Olight and so on. I would never buy anything labelled Ultrafire.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enjoy the lights on rechargeable, guilt free lumens.
Buy decent cells and a charger like Mr. Ven suggested, great deal honestly.
You'll look back and go, yup I'm the lion king in a couple months.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, Lion King. Not Scar. :)

(Penzance)It is, it is a glorious thing to be the Lion King!(/Penzance)