Surefire ubr invictus battery

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Hi

Could anybody give me some advice on how I can keep track of the battery condition of a surefire ubr. The battery is an 18650 cell but it is contained in a tamper proof casing with a 3 pin plug adapter which slots into the battery tube.
How do I know if it's over charged/discharged? Or do I even need to be worried about it. Nothing is stated in the instructions for the light except to say it can be left charging without damage being caused to the battery. Are these integrated charging lights any safer then other lights which use independent cells?

Thanks

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that you should just trust SF and their products. I don't care for proprietary batteries and I'm not a fan of self charging lights, but we're seeing more and more of them hitting the market and one would presume that they do what is promised.

If you can find a '+' and a '-' marking on the three pin connector, you should be able to charge up the battery and then when it's done, measure it and look for ~4.20v.

Chris

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Cheers I appreciate your response. I'll try and suss it out. I don't know the history of the light as I purchased it second hand, that's the reason behind the concern.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
As ChrisGarrett pointed out, Surefire does a pretty decent jobs of designing the battery circuits they use.

If you can determine the voltage using a VOM, then you could hook the battery up to a analyzer/charger like an Accucel 6, charge until seeing 4.15 or so volts, the run a discharge test to determine capacity, which I guess is what you are looking for.

Being on the other side of the pond, makes it a little more difficult for a meet up with CPF members, but Subwoofer my be able to chime in as he's on your side, so to speak.

Your second question about integrated charging circuits, they're not any safer, but more convenient than removing batteries for charging. The light was designed more so for search and rescue as well as law enforcement use.