Raxiom Smoked LED Headlights

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Raxiom doesn't make them, btw, from what I've been told. They're being made for them and sold under their name.
Why, I don't know....
Raxiom does make some very illegal drop-in LED products so I don't know how their name lends credibility.
The new lights have a nifty "DOT SAE" stamp on them though.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raxiom doesn't make them, btw, from what I've been told.
Probably by the same people that make Unmitza or whatever. Lowest-bidder sweatshop factory and all that.
They're being made for them and sold under their name.
Why, I don't know....
Step 4: Profit

Raxiom does make some very illegal drop-in LED products so I don't know how their name lends credibility.
You might know of (and be a member of) several web forums where legality and objective performance don't matter. For those people, it never has and never will.
The new lights have a nifty "DOT SAE" stamp on them though.
And, strangely, the site doesn't say "DOT Approved"! Looks like the junkmakers are learning!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
At first glance they look an AWFUL bunch like JW Speaker...
Besides that, are they legal?

Almost certainly not. There's a ton of cheap (not necessarily inexpensive) and nasty counterfeit/knockoff/imitation product coming in from China. See for yourself: look at this and this and this and this, just for four quickly-found examples.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Almost certainly not. There's a ton of cheap (not necessarily inexpensive) and nasty counterfeit/knockoff/imitation product coming in from China. See for yourself: look at this and this and this and this, just for four quickly-found examples.
Those last two resemble the Raxiom quite a bit...
Do you have a way to find out for sure if that particular product is legal or not?
It really really burns me to see JW Speaker get their intellectual property stolen like that. The complete lack of ethics (and morals) floors me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a way to find out for sure if that particular product is legal or not?
It'd take photometric testing to prove the noncompliance; any testing that shows it will be chalked up to "bad production run" or "poor QC, sorry 'bout that". Our somewhat toothless laws on the subject don't help much.

It really really burns me to see JW Speaker get their intellectual property stolen like that. The complete lack of ethics (and morals) floors me.
And all they can do is try to litigate the thieves out of business. You'd think it'd be a slam dunk case, but there you go thinking again.

Worst part: Most of the purchasers out there don't care. They look at price, then they pull out their credit cards.

Franco

Newly Enlightened
And all they can do is try to litigate the thieves out of business. You'd think it'd be a slam dunk case, but there you go thinking again.

Litigate all you want, international (hell, any) enforcement is hard to come by. Plus you'd most likely only get local distributors to stop carrying until another dozen get a batch from you know where.

But yes, this could end if people simply stopped buying knockoffs or cheap non-conforming crap.

IHVOCD

Newly Enlightened
My son's 2004 Mustang Cobra has smoked headlights and they suck at night time even with hids.